Assigning admins/moderators, was: (Directed messages)

Carlos

Hi Joseph,
I appreciate the offer and I may or may not assign moderators at some point, but for now I would like the experience of doing it myself before handing over the responsibility to someone else.  Especially since this is my first time running a mail list.  Also, I think choosing a moderator is something that should be done with caution and careful consideration.  Too often I have seen problems caused when a moderator says something or handles a particular situation in a manner that conflicts with the opinion of the list owner.  If the correct person is not chosen and the moderator and list owner do not communicate or are simply not of like minds, I believe this is inevitable.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Directed messages

Hey Carlos, you make me an admin I'll help you full your rules. I've done this to Chris already a couple of times. Talking about Chris Holdsworth.
Joseph Hudson
Email
I device support
Telephone
Twitter

On Sep 4, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject lines consistent in general.  I.E. If you would like to begin a different discussion, simply start with a new message.  Or if what you have to say is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to reflect this.  I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I have not always been careful enough in this respect.
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 2:58 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Directed messages

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem.  But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech.  I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line.  I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email.  I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

Hi Carlos I agree. Well you know what, I have no problem communicating. That's for sure. And if you need anything or just need some advice till free to write me as I manage or help run plenty of different groups.
Joseph Hudson
Email
I device support
Telephone
Twitter

Hi Joseph,
I appreciate the offer and I may or may not assign moderators at some point, but for now I would like the experience of doing it myself before handing over the responsibility to someone else.  Especially since this is my first time running a mail list.  Also, I think choosing a moderator is something that should be done with caution and careful consideration.  Too often I have seen problems caused when a moderator says something or handles a particular situation in a manner that conflicts with the opinion of the list owner.  If the correct person is not chosen and the moderator and list owner do not communicate or are simply not of like minds, I believe this is inevitable.
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Directed messages

Hey Carlos, you make me an admin I'll help you full your rules. I've done this to Chris already a couple of times. Talking about Chris Holdsworth.
Joseph Hudson
Email
I device support
Telephone
Twitter

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject lines consistent in general.  I.E. If you would like to begin a different discussion, simply start with a new message.  Or if what you have to say is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to reflect this.  I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I have not always been careful enough in this respect.

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem.  But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech.  I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line.  I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email.  I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi Carlos,
Well said. I always say that a moderator shouldn't act, unless, they are very very very closely related with the admin. And the mod should be a friend of the admin, to better understand each other. And LOL, the more mods, the more arguments.

To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date: Friday, 4 September 2015 8:44 pm
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Assigning admins/moderators, was: (Directed messages)

Hi Joseph,
I appreciate the offer and I may or may not assign moderators at some point, but for now I would like the experience of doing it myself before handing over the responsibility to someone else. Especially since this is my first time running a mail list. Also, I think choosing a moderator is something that should be done with caution and careful consideration. Too often I have seen problems caused when a moderator says something or handles a particular situation in a manner that conflicts with the opinion of the list owner. If the correct person is not chosen and the moderator and list owner do not communicate or are simply not of like minds, I believe this is inevitable.

Joseph Hudson
Email
jhud7789@gmail.com
I device support
Telephone
https://www.facebook..com/joseph.hudson.9404
Twitter
https://twitter.com/josephhudson89

On Sep 4, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject lines consistent in general. I.E. If you would like to begin a different discussion, simply start with a new message. Or if what you have to say is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to reflect this. I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I have not always been careful enough in this respect.
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 2:58 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Directed messages

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line. I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

Sent from a Braille Sense

Rob <captinlogic@...>

rajmund <brajmund2000@gmail.com> wrote:
Well said. I always say that a moderator shouldn't act, unless, they are very very very closely related with the admin. And the mod should be a friend of the admin, to better understand each other. And LOL, the more mods, the more arguments.
I notice this in IRC channels too. The amount of channel op dramas I have been involved in over the years .. dear lawd. I am glad I retreated away from a lot of it. I run a couple of channels with other likeminded individuals now. Less drama that way, fewer personality conflicts.

amanda burt

I agree.  I've also been a moderator and if people don't agree or there is a miscomunication things can get hary but, I must say Carlos, you're doing an excelent job.  You're not coming down hard on someone if they shouldn't have posted something.  People don't like that as we've found out on the other list smiles.  Just carry on the way you're doing and, there seem to be a lot of people who will give you advice.

Amanda

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 8:43 PM

Hi Joseph,

Joseph Hudson
Email
I device support
Telephone
Twitter

Don Roberts

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

john schwery <jschwery@...>

From what I have seen, from running and being on lists, an owner or moderator has to be a benevolent dictator.  He can get adive and seek opinions, but in the end, a list can't be run by committee.  He has to do what he thinks is right and go for it.

earlier, amanda burt, wrote:

I agree.  I've also been a moderator and if people don't agree or there is a miscomunication things can get hary but, I must say Carlos, you're doing an excelent job.  You're not coming down hard on someone if they shouldn't have posted something.  People don't like that as we've found out on the other list smiles.  Just carry on the way you're doing and, there seem to be a lot of people who will give you advice.

Amanda

Hi Joseph,
I appreciate the offer and I may or may not assign moderators at some point, but for now I would like the experience of doing it myself before handing over the responsibility to someone else.  Especially since this is my first time running a mail list.  Also, I think choosing a moderator is something that should be done with caution and careful consideration.  Too often I have seen problems caused when a moderator says something or handles a particular situation in a manner that conflicts with the opinion of the list owner.  If the correct person is not chosen and the moderator and list owner do not communicate or are simply not of like minds, I believe this is inevitable.

Joseph Hudson
Email
jhud7789@...
I device support
Telephone
Twitter

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject lines consistent in general.  I.E. If you would like to begin a different discussion, simply start with a new message.  Or if what you have to say is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to reflect this.  I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I have not always been careful enough in this respect.

Don Roberts

[]  

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

Carolyn Arnold

You are good, Carlos. I was unsubscribed from a list recently - no problem.
There is another similar list that I like that serves as well. I do not
intend to try to resubscribe, because I see no reason to try to impose
myself on someone, where I must have done something contrary to the way they
need things to run. I understand how it is to lead a group of people, and
there can be pulling every which way. Keep up the good work.

Best from,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, September 4, 2015 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Assigning admins/moderators, was: (Directed
messages)

I agree. I've also been a moderator and if people don't agree or there is a
miscomunication things can get hary but, I must say Carlos, you're doing an
excelent job. You're not coming down hard on someone if they shouldn't have
posted something. People don't like that as we've found out on the other
list smiles. Just carry on the way you're doing and, there seem to be a lot
of people who will give you advice.

Amanda

To: TechTalk@groups.io <mailto:TechTalk@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Assigning admins/moderators, was: (Directed
messages)

Hi Joseph,
I appreciate the offer and I may or may not assign moderators at some point,
but for now I would like the experience of doing it myself before handing
over the responsibility to someone else. Especially since this is my first
time running a mail list. Also, I think choosing a moderator is something
that should be done with caution and careful consideration. Too often I
have seen problems caused when a moderator says something or handles a
particular situation in a manner that conflicts with the opinion of the list
owner. If the correct person is not chosen and the moderator and list owner
do not communicate or are simply not of like minds, I believe this is
inevitable.

Hey Carlos, you make me an admin I'll help you full your rules. I've
done this to Chris already a couple of times. Talking about Chris
Holdsworth.

Joseph Hudson
Email
jhud7789@gmail.com <mailto:jhud7789@gmail.com>
I device support
Telephone
<https://www.facebook.com/joseph.hudson.9404>
Twitter

On Sep 4, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com
<mailto:carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> > wrote:

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping
subject lines consistent in general. I.E. If you would like to begin a
different discussion, simply start with a new message. Or if what you have
to say is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but
may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject
to reflect this. I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I
have not always been careful enough in this respect.

<mailto:donald.roberts99@gmail.com>

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem.
But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the
other list, specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of
directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line. I
respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an
individual that he do so via private email. I say that because it screws up
the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the
name of an individual.

Don Roberts

<https://www.avast.com/antivirus> This email is free from viruses and
malware because avast! Antivirus <https://www.avast.com/antivirus>
protection is active.

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi Carlos,

I'm posting this to the list since you did so yourself.

RE appointing moderators. Yes, this is a job which should be done carefully. However, I would strongly suggest that you do appoint at least one moderator if only for security reasons. You may go away for a vacation, suddenly become ill, or God forbid, vacate this plain entirely. Don't laugh, folks, it's happened. If you appoint somebody to moderate, there will be somebody here if you can't be here for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time to moderate this high traffic list, wish I did, but I'm sure you can find others who would step in. I do urge you to appoint somebody fairly quickly.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

Hi, that's kind of what I was leading towards. He's definitely going to want to take a vacation but then again when does he not take a vacation from posting on the list. Every morning I wake up with like maybe 10 or 20 emails in my am box and they'll have Carlos's name on them LOL.
Joseph Hudson
Email
I device support
Telephone
Twitter

On Sep 4, 2015, at 7:44 PM, Ann Parsons <akp@...> wrote:

Hi Carlos,

RE appointing moderators.  Yes, this is a job which should be done carefully.  However, I would strongly suggest that you do appoint at least one moderator if only for security reasons.  You may go away for a vacation, suddenly become ill, or God forbid, vacate this plain entirely.  Don't laugh, folks, it's happened.  If you appoint somebody to moderate, there will be somebody here if you can't be here for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time to moderate this high traffic list, wish I did, but I'm sure you can find others who would step in.  I do urge you to appoint somebody fairly quickly.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info

Carlos

Hello Ann,
That is certainly a point worth considering, but it should not be an immediate concern since I won't have vacation time available anytime soon. It seems that all I ever do is work and I'm always in front of a computer. Sigh. Illness is of course also a reasonable concern, although I don't get sick very often. LOL and assigning a moderator on the off-chance of my potential demise seems somewhat morbid, but I will take all of this into consideration and perhaps for now at least give someone the ability to take over in an emergency.

To: <TechTalk@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 8:44 PM

Hi Carlos,

RE appointing moderators. Yes, this is a job which should be done carefully. However, I would strongly suggest that you do appoint at least one moderator if only for security reasons. You may go away for a vacation, suddenly become ill, or God forbid, vacate this plain entirely. Don't laugh, folks, it's happened. If you appoint somebody to moderate, there will be somebody here if you can't be here for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time to moderate this high traffic list, wish I did, but I'm sure you can find others who would step in. I do urge you to appoint somebody fairly quickly.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
I like Carlos as an owner, too. Just continue as you are, please.

Date: Friday, 4 September 2015 10:54 pm

I agree. I've also been a moderator and if people don't agree or there is a miscomunication things can get hary but, I must say Carlos, you're doing an excelent job. You're not coming down hard on someone if they shouldn't have posted something. People don't like that as we've found out on the other list smiles. Just carry on the way you're doing and, there seem to be a lot of people who will give you advice.

Amanda

Hi Joseph,
I appreciate the offer and I may or may not assign moderators at some point, but for now I would like the experience of doing it myself before handing over the responsibility to someone else. Especially since this is my first time running a mail list. Also, I think choosing a moderator is something that should be done with caution and careful consideration. Too often I have seen problems caused when a moderator says something or handles a particular situation in a manner that conflicts with the opinion of the list owner. If the correct person is not chosen and the moderator and list owner do not communicate or are simply not of like minds, I believe this is inevitable.

Joseph Hudson
Email
jhud7789@gmail.com
I device support
Telephone
Twitter

On Sep 4, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

I agree with this and I would also like to emphasize keeping subject lines consistent in general. I.E. If you would like to begin a different discussion, simply start with a new message. Or if what you have to say is at least related to the thread to which you are responding, but may significantly side track the conversation, at least change the subject to reflect this. I will have to work to follow this rule myself since I have not always been careful enough in this respect.

Believe me, it is not my desire to cause a problem. But I am starting to see a problem on this list that frustrated me on the other list, specifically Blindtech. I am talking about the practice of directing messages to a specific individual in the subject line. I respectfully suggest that if anyone wants to direct his message to an individual that he do so via private email. I say that because it screws up the sorting of threads badly when the actual subject is preceeded by the name of an individual.

Don Roberts

Sent from a Braille Sense