From: Carlos [mailto:carlos1106@...]
Sent: Sunday, September 6, 2015 9:38 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Solid state drives and defragmenting

Supposedly Auslogics Disk Defrag uses special algorithms for solid state drives so it is probably safe.

Carlos

Indeed, but as I said Auslogics claims to use special algorithms for solid state drives and I would bet that the developer probably knows more about the subject than all of us put together.

Hmmm, SSD’s should not use traditional defrag, as it can make SSD’s fail faster (they use trim to learn which data is no longer needed).

Cheers,

Joseph

Supposedly Auslogics Disk Defrag uses special algorithms for solid state drives so it is probably safe.

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Carlos & Joseph,

This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask about Auslogics.  I have several external drives that I defrag from time to time.  They are 2 TB & 4 TB in size, & are regular spinning disk drives, not SSD.  When I defrag these drives, would it be better to use the Auslogics Disk Defragmenting tool, or just use the Windows7 defragmenting tool?  Also, do either of you use the paid for bersion of Auslogics?  If so, what do you think about it, & is the latest version accessible with Jaws?  Thank you very much for any & all input.
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

Hmmm, SSD’s should not use traditional defrag, as it can make SSD’s fail faster (they use trim to learn which data is no longer needed).

Cheers,

Joseph

Supposedly Auslogics Disk Defrag uses special algorithms for solid state drives so it is probably safe.

Carlos

Hi Mike,
I don't currently use Auslogics myself.  I vaguely remember that it does have some features not found in the Windows defragmentation utility, or even many third-party defragmenting utilities for that matter, but for routine defragmentation of conventional drives the utility built-in to Windows should work well enough.

Hmmm, SSD’s should not use traditional defrag, as it can make SSD’s fail faster (they use trim to learn which data is no longer needed).

Cheers,

Joseph

Supposedly Auslogics Disk Defrag uses special algorithms for solid state drives so it is probably safe.

Carlos

Oh and when I last used the program it was accessible, but as I said that was quite some time ago.

I don't currently use Auslogics myself.  I vaguely remember that it does have some features not found in the Windows defragmentation utility, or even many third-party defragmenting utilities for that matter, but for routine defragmentation of conventional drives the utility built-in to Windows should work well enough.
Hmmm, SSD’s should not use traditional defrag, as it can make SSD’s fail faster (they use trim to learn which data is no longer needed).

Cheers,

Joseph

Supposedly Auslogics Disk Defrag uses special algorithms for solid state drives so it is probably safe.

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Carlos,

Yes, it has been quite sometime ago.  I believe it's up to Auslogics8, & the last time it was accessible, that I know of, was Auslogics5.  I keep asking the Auslogics people when they will make Auslogics accessible for the blind again, but I never get a reply.  I really liked the program, & I still use it for things like, Drive Wiper, since the CCleaner drive wiping tool won't work for some reason on my computer, & the Disk Fragmenting.
[...]

Unfortunately, when it comes to making applications more accessible, some developers are cooperative and some will in fact simply ignore you.

Oh and when I last used the program it was accessible, but as I said that was quite some time ago.
I don't currently use Auslogics myself.  I vaguely remember that it does have some features not found in the Windows defragmentation utility, or even many third-party defragmenting utilities for that matter, but for routine defragmentation of conventional drives the utility built-in to Windows should work well enough.
Hmmm, SSD’s should not use traditional defrag, as it can make SSD’s fail faster (they use trim to learn which data is no longer needed).

Cheers,

Joseph

Supposedly Auslogics Disk Defrag uses special algorithms for solid state drives so it is probably safe.

juan gonzalez

I had the paid version 5 which worked alright with window-eyes mouse keys. When Auslogics 6 came out it broke that little accessibility that it had. I emailed them to let them know about it. I told them that i couldn't keep paying for a program that i could not use and there response was in short. there is nothing we can do and good luck. I wasn't significant enough for them to keep me as a customer. Its a shame cause i really liked the boost speed program and i could have recommended it to many people.  NVDA does a good job with the auslogics disk defragment with the exeption of not reading the list of the drives that are available to defrag.

Juan Gonzalez
E-Z Computer Repair
(224) 730-4896