Questions re Roomba vacuum cleaners

Donald L. Roberts

I know that there are several models of the Roomba vacuums.  Does anyone know whether the accessibility level varies significantly from one model to another?  If so, which is the most accessible for a totally blind user?   QVC had a great deal Saturday night on the so called 800 series which they were selling for $400.  .  But the price was so much lower than other models that I wondered just what the differences are.  Furthermore, if I buy one, I’ll probably get it from Costco because Costco has such a great return policy.

Don Roberts

David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>

Wow, I did not know that a vacuum had to be accessible.

Do you mean there are vacuums that talk to you LOL?

I am curious.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, March 5, 2018 11:22 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Questions re Roomba vacuum cleaners

I know that there are several models of the Roomba vacuums.  Does anyone know whether the accessibility level varies significantly from one model to another?  If so, which is the most accessible for a totally blind user?   QVC had a great deal Saturday night on the so called 800 series which they were selling for $400.  .  But the price was so much lower than other models that I wondered just what the differences are.  Furthermore, if I buy one, I’ll probably get it from Costco because Costco has such a great return policy.

Don Roberts

Rick Alfaro

The most accessible models are the ones that will connect to WiFi IMHO. Using their iRobot app you can setup and control the Roomba as well as getting notifications for various events.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald L. Roberts

Don Roberts

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

David, the Roomba, is a robotic vacuum cleaner which can be programmed to vacuum your house, room by room. You don't push it, it automagically vacuums a room, going around furniture and all. I've never had one, but programming it, may be a problem. I don't know. All I can do is give you a definition of the product.

Ann P.

Original message:

I am curious.
David Moore
Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10
From: Donald L. Roberts <mailto:donald.roberts99@gmail.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
I know that there are several models of the Roomba vacuums. Does anyone know whether the accessibility level varies significantly from one model to another? If so, which is the most accessible for a totally blind user? QVC had a great deal Saturday night on the so called 800 series which they were selling for $400. . But the price was so much lower than other models that I wondered just what the differences are. Furthermore, if I buy one, I’ll probably get it from Costco because Costco has such a great return policy.
Don Roberts
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gerald Levy

From what I have read about the Roomba vacs, they are not as effective at cleaning as a standard, upright vacuum.  The Roomba’s cleaning effectiveness has been compared to that of a lightweight, rechargeable stick vac.  This makes sense because there is no way that the Roomba’s rechargeable battery would have enough juice to power a heavy duty motor like the kind found in standard AC-operated upright and cannister vacs.  So while the Roomba may offer the convenience of cleaning each room in your home automatically, it may still be necessary to re-vacuum them manually with a standard vac to clean up the dirt the Roomba missed.  And keep in mind that the
Roomba’s rechargeable battery may not last long enough to vacuum your entire home in one pass before it needs to be recharged.

Gerald

Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Questions re Roomba vacuum cleaners

The most accessible models are the ones that will connect to WiFi IMHO. Using their iRobot app you can setup and control the Roomba as well as getting notifications for various events.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald L. Roberts

Don Roberts

Rick Alfaro

The Roomba 970 will if necessary, return to its dock to charge and then resume where it left off.

Although it’s cleaning ability is no match for a high powered upright or canaster model, the convenience is awesome and if you setup schedules to vacuum frequently, it actually does a pretty decent job.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 8:45 AM

From what I have read about the Roomba vacs, they are not as effective at cleaning as a standard, upright vacuum.  The Roomba’s cleaning effectiveness has been compared to that of a lightweight, rechargeable stick vac.  This makes sense because there is no way that the Roomba’s rechargeable battery would have enough juice to power a heavy duty motor like the kind found in standard AC-operated upright and cannister vacs.  So while the Roomba may offer the convenience of cleaning each room in your home automatically, it may still be necessary to re-vacuum them manually with a standard vac to clean up the dirt the Roomba missed.  And keep in mind that the
Roomba’s rechargeable battery may not last long enough to vacuum your entire home in one pass before it needs to be recharged.

Gerald

Don Roberts

Rick Alfaro

Typo in my last message regarding the model. It is the Roomba 980.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Alfaro
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:08 AM

The Roomba 970 will if necessary, return to its dock to charge and then resume where it left off.

Although it’s cleaning ability is no match for a high powered upright or canaster model, the convenience is awesome and if you setup schedules to vacuum frequently, it actually does a pretty decent job.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy

Gerald

Don Roberts

Kay Malmquist

Now the 980 is supposed to have more cleaning power and a longer life battery.  I have an older one and really like it a lot.  I still every once in a while run the upright around for a good deep cleaning, but honestly the newer models are getting more and more powerful and better at deeper cleaning.

Kay Malmquist

"No life ends until all the lives it has touched end;
until all the good it has done has been forgotten."

From the movie, "Battle Beyond the Stars"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 8:09 AM

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Alfaro

Gerald

Don Roberts

Carolyn Arnold

Not only that, I had a friend, and hers nearly ran away from home, when she had the door to her apartment open taking some things to her car when moving. She had the vacuum running, and, well, you get the picture. So she had to go charging after Murphy, as she calls the thing.

Hope your day is a diamond,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy

From what I have read about the Roomba vacs, they are not as effective at cleaning as a standard, upright vacuum. The Roomba’s cleaning effectiveness has been compared to that of a lightweight, rechargeable stick vac. This makes sense because there is no way that the Roomba’s rechargeable battery would have enough juice to power a heavy duty motor like the kind found in standard AC-operated upright and cannister vacs. So while the Roomba may offer the convenience of cleaning each room in your home automatically, it may still be necessary to re-vacuum them manually with a standard vac to clean up the dirt the Roomba missed. And keep in mind that the Roomba’s rechargeable battery may not last long enough to vacuum your entire home in one pass before it needs to be recharged.

Gerald

I know that there are several models of the Roomba vacuums. Does anyone know whether the accessibility level varies significantly from one model to another? If so, which is the most accessible for a totally blind user? QVC had a great deal Saturday night on the so called 800 series which they were selling for $400. . But the price was so much lower than other models that I wondered just what the differences are. Furthermore, if I buy one, I’ll probably get it from Costco because Costco has such a great return policy.

Don Roberts

Carolyn Arnold

I guess you have to clean it regularly or empty the reservoir or change bag, whatever maintenance there is?

Hope your day is a diamond,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rick Alfaro
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:09 AM

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> > On Behalf Of Gerald Levy

From what I have read about the Roomba vacs, they are not as effective at cleaning as a standard, upright vacuum. The Roomba’s cleaning effectiveness has been compared to that of a lightweight, rechargeable stick vac. This makes sense because there is no way that the Roomba’s rechargeable battery would have enough juice to power a heavy duty motor like the kind found in standard AC-operated upright and cannister vacs. So while the Roomba may offer the convenience of cleaning each room in your home automatically, it may still be necessary to re-vacuum them manually with a standard vac to clean up the dirt the Roomba missed. And keep in mind that the Roomba’s rechargeable battery may not last long enough to vacuum your entire home in one pass before it needs to be recharged.

Gerald

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> > On Behalf Of Donald L. Roberts

Don Roberts

Jim Wohlgamuth

I agree David! Wohnder just how an accessible cleaner differs from one that is not accessible? Not trying to be a smart ???, but I have never heard of that either..? 

<JF8LT><Jim>.

On 06-Mar-18 03:44, David Moore wrote:

I am curious.

David Moore

Don Roberts

Pamela Dominguez

Not only that, but I have always wondered how it can get into corners and small spaces.  Pam.

Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 8:44 AM

Gerald

Don Roberts

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Kay Malmquist

Well, it's a round little guy and there is a brush that is underneath the edge and that brush spins around as the little fellow spins slowly and that does a pretty good job of getting in the corners and slurping up hair and dirt and such.

Kay Malmquist

"No life ends until all the lives it has touched end;
until all the good it has done has been forgotten."

From the movie, "Battle Beyond the Stars"

Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 6:35 PM

Not only that, but I have always wondered how it can get into corners and small spaces.  Pam.

Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 8:44 AM

Gerald

Don Roberts

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Chris Grabowski <skywalker@...>

You don't program it.  You just start it and let it go.  It has these little barriers if you don't want it to go into a specific room or area within a room.

It is nothing that can't be done without sight.

It is smart enough to move around obstacles and go back to its home base when its battery gets low.

Shark recently released a robot vacuum that is quite good as well.  Will give the Roombas a run.

Sent: Tuesday, Mar 6, 2018 8:23 AM EST

Hi all,

David, the Roomba, is a robotic vacuum cleaner which can be programmed to vacuum your house, room by room.  You don't push it, it automagically vacuums a room, going around furniture and all.  I've never had one, but programming it, may be a problem.  I don't know.  All I can do is give you a definition of the product.

Ann P.

Original message:

I am curious.

David Moore

Don Roberts

Here is a audio demonstration of a first time setup with the Roomba 960.

https://www.mysticaccess.com/free-downloads/download-info/roomba-960-unboxing-and-first-time-setup/

Sent: Thursday, Mar 8, 2018 8:12 AM EST

You don't program it.  You just start it and let it go.  It has these little barriers if you don't want it to go into a specific room or area within a room.

It is smart enough to move around obstacles and go back to its home base when its battery gets low.

Shark recently released a robot vacuum that is quite good as well.  Will give the Roombas a run.

Hi all,

David, the Roomba, is a robotic vacuum cleaner which can be programmed to vacuum your house, room by room.  You don't push it, it automagically vacuums a room, going around furniture and all.  I've never had one, but programming it, may be a problem.  I don't know.  All I can do is give you a definition of the product.

Ann P.

Original message:

I am curious.

David Moore

Don Roberts

Sure, today's robot vacuums can connect to WIFI to be controlled/configured by an app.  Also some of them don't have buttons to start/stop and have touch panels instead.

All of the Roomba's I have seen have physical buttons to start them, also the Shark Ion 750 does as well.

The app to configure its start/stop times would need to be accessible if you want to configure that yourself.

Don's question is a valid one.

Sent: Tuesday, Mar 6, 2018 3:44 AM EST

I am curious.

David Moore

Don Roberts

Mike Thomas

Let me add this so there is no confusion about what the unit does.  I had one about 15 years ago.  The one I had had no vacuum qualities.  It was a carpet sweeper much like the swivel sweeper with rotating brushes only, and picked up debris, but did not vacuum floors or carpets as it went robotically around a room or rooms.  It had its use, but surely wasn't perfect.  It would get stuck under a piece of furniture, and then it would sit there and make a noise llike it was crying.  I gave mine up when the battery stopped holding much of a charge.  It just wasn't worth another $75 for a replacement battery.  I would hope vast improvements have been made by now to these devices.
Mike

Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2018 8:12 AM

Hi all,

Ann P.

Original message:

I am curious.

David Moore

Don Roberts

They have improved in 15 years.

Sent: Thursday, Mar 8, 2018 1:44 PM EST

Let me add this so there is no confusion about what the unit does.  I had one about 15 years ago.  The one I had had no vacuum qualities.  It was a carpet sweeper much like the swivel sweeper with rotating brushes only, and picked up debris, but did not vacuum floors or carpets as it went robotically around a room or rooms.  It had its use, but surely wasn't perfect.  It would get stuck under a piece of furniture, and then it would sit there and make a noise llike it was crying.  I gave mine up when the battery stopped holding much of a charge.  It just wasn't worth another $75 for a replacement battery.  I would hope vast improvements have been made by now to these devices.
Mike
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2018 8:12 AM

Hi all,

Ann P.

Original message:

I am curious.

David Moore

Don Roberts

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Thanks for the link and I found it very interesting. I currently have a Neato and I am not totally happy with it. It does a pretty good job of cleaning but probably only finds the dock about 25% of the time. I have 2800 square feet all on one level so this might be the cause. Do you find that the Roomba goes back to the dock consistently?
Marie

Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 5:17 AM

Here is a audio demonstration of a first time setup with the Roomba 960.

https://www.mysticaccess.com/free-downloads/download-info/roomba-960-unboxing-and-first-time-setup/

Sent: Thursday, Mar 8, 2018 8:12 AM EST

Hi all,

David, the Roomba, is a robotic vacuum cleaner which can be programmed to vacuum your house, room by room.  You don't push it, it automatically vacuums a room, going around furniture and all.  I've never had one, but programming it, may be a problem.  I don't know.  All I can do is give you a definition of the product.

Ann P.

Original message:

I am curious.

David Moore

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io

Don Roberts

Jennifer Jackson <jennsjackson@...>

My Aunt just ordered a Roomba for my grandmother to help her keep up with the daily stuff and she was very excited about it. They will not replace having a good vacuum cleaner, but many people love them for kkeeping up with the dog or cat hair. I have a Dison and still covet having a robot vac. 

The newest Roomba is short enough to go under furniture and even has a sensor to identify thedifference in solid versas a dust ruffle to get under. Jennifer J