Transferring a book from Book Share to an SD card.

Carolyn Arnold

I just started with Book Share. I have downloaded one book and went on and started it, but last night, I never could copy it to an SD card so that I could play it on my MP3 player. Is it more difficult to transfer those, or is it just that maybe in the case of this one book, I had a problem? Thanks in advance.

Hope your day is a diamond,

Carolyn

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Carolyn, can you explain what you did? What format was the book in?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Carolyn Arnold

The book was a print book from Book Share, or I assume
print. I got two this morning from newest books. They copied
to the SD card fast enough, and they will play on my Victor
Stream.

Then, when I put the card in the Talking Book MP3 Player,
and I set it on SD card, when went to Daizy Books, it said I
had no books.

That was my reason for buying the MP3, and maybe I did not
know enough. It could be that retrieving them on my Stream
doesn't work. I do not intend to fool with it on the
computer, will just sell the MP at a loss, if there isn't a
solution here. I'm patient, won't list the thing tomorrow.

Thanks for checking.

Hope your day is a diamond,

Carolyn

Carolyn, can you explain what you did? What format was the
book in?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Pamela Dominguez

Are they mp3 books? If not, that's probably why you don't see it there. Pam.

Carolyn, can you explain what you did? What format was the
book in?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

---
http://www.avg.com

Laz

She's not referring to the Talking MP3 Players, she's referring to the
Talking book Reader. i"ve been trying to find out what file type they
are or if they're inside a zipped file so she can put them in the
correct folder but we have to wait for her husband to get home...

On 3/7/18, Pamela Dominguez <geodom@...> wrote:
Are they mp3 books? If not, that's probably why you don't see it there.
Pam.

Carolyn, can you explain what you did? What format was the
book in?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

---
http://www.avg.com

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Carolyn Arnold

I don't know that much about it. The player is an MP3. The
books will play on my Victor stream. There is all this
information about that it is protected format and only for
qualified persons. I just joined Book Share. All of this is
new to me.

If it is going to involve the computer, I'll just use the
Stream. I deal with enoughlogistics all the time and have
enough to read and to do without having to do something with
the computer.

I did try to see if I could figure out if I could put an SD
card in my computer and see if I could find it, but I am not
sure there is a slot for an SD card, and Jim's computer is
older than mine.

When my husband gets back home, I will get him to see if he
can tell in the computer, if the files have suffixes saying
what kind they are.

Hope your day is a diamond,

Carolyn

Are they mp3 books? If not, that's probably why you don't
see it there.
Pam.

Carolyn, can you explain what you did? What format was the
book in?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

---
http://www.avg.com

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

OK, good, Laz. Obviously, if they are etext they won't play on the DTBM. If they are audible DAISY they will play.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Pauline

Hi Carolyn,

Not sure if this will help you, but this is the information I was given regarding BookShare files.

If you are transferring an audio book to the card, you want to place the book in the card, without placing it into a specific folder.
Copy the folder to the root of the SD card or cartridge.
It should show up then, and you should be able to read it.

Pauline

Carolyn, can you explain what you did? What format was the
book in?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Carolyn Arnold

When Jim got back, he liked to never have figured out, first
where the card went in his computer and which way. Then it
looked to him that there was a lot of stuff on it. I told
him one of the books was about fast calculations. He found
it, could download it into his computer; it was text, of
course. Finally, he figured that the file extension was XML,
whatever in the world that is.

So, I take it that there is hope, that some of the books on
Book Share will play in the Daizy format?

The think that I like about the Victor Reader Stream is that
I do not have to do anything about my computer. I can
download to it directly.

Hope your day is a diamond,

Carolyn

OK, good, Laz. Obviously, if they are etext they won't play
on the DTBM. If they are audible DAISY they will play.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Carolyn Arnold

Probably the problem is me, because I do not understand
this. Thanks.

Hope your day is a diamond,

Carolyn

Carolyn, can you explain what you did? What format was the
book in?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

Isn't there a way to download books in an audio format from bookshare? Does the player you want to use read text or just audio files?  Just because text is in the daisy format doesn't mean a player will play it.  The player would have to convert text to speech.  I'm quite sure I heard of a way to download books not with a human reader, but with a speech conversion program Book Share uses that converts text to speech, then, the user downloads the audio file.

Carolyn, can you explain what you did?  What format was the
book in?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Laz

HI Ann,

Text files play just fine on the Talking Book Reader. The issue is we
don't know if the file is zipped up or not or what the file name
extension of the file is, so until we know for sure not much can be
done from my end. Can you tell us what file types these BookServe
books come in? I thought they were MP3, TXT, or Daisy. Is the file
name extension for the Daisy books XML? Carolyn's husband said the
file name extension is XML. I'm trying to get one of them to send me
the book as an attachment so I can sort it out...

Thanks Ann!

Laz

On 3/7/18, Ann Parsons <akp@...> wrote:
Hi all,

OK, good, Laz. Obviously, if they are etext they won't play on the
DTBM. If they are audible DAISY they will play.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

I'm quite sure you can have Book Share convert a text book to an audio format using a text to speech conversion program.  Then you download the audio file for use in players that play audio and not text files or if you want to hear whatever voice is used in making the file if you don't have that voice.

The first question that needs to be resolved is, does the player being used play text files and the second is, am I correct that Book Share will convert books to an audio file which you can download?

Gene
Text files play just fine on the Talking Book Reader. The issue is we
don't know if the file is zipped up or not or what the file name
extension of the file is, so until we know for sure not much can be
done from my end. Can you tell us what file types these BookServe
books come in? I thought they were MP3, TXT, or Daisy. Is the file
name extension for the Daisy books XML? Carolyn's husband said the
file name extension is XML. I'm trying to get one of them to send me
the book as an attachment so I can sort it out...

Thanks Ann!

Laz

On 3/7/18, Ann Parsons <akp@...> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> OK, good, Laz.  Obviously, if they are etext they won't play on the
> DTBM.  If they are audible DAISY they will play.
>
> Ann P.
>
> --
> Ann K. Parsons
> Portal Tutoring
> EMAIL:  akp@...
> Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
> Portal Tutoring web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
> Skype: Putertutor
>
> "All that is gold does not glitter,
> Not all those who wander are lost."

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Laz

Hi Gene,

The player has the Ivona voices and reads text files, unprotected
Daisy and eBook files, etc, just fine. The problem isn't that the
player can't read text files, it can, the problem is that we don't
know if it's zipped up, what file type the file is, or anything else
about the book. When I asked her to have her husband look at what file
type it was on his computer she said he had to open the file up to
find out what file type it was and that it was an XML file. First of
all I had never heard of XML books and the fact that he had to open it
before he could see the file type , seems to indicate to me that
perhaps the file is zipped up and needs to be unzipped. i have asked
her to have her husband send me the file as an attachment so until I
see it anything about this file remains a mystery to me

On 3/7/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I believe bookshare sends books in the daisey format.  Someone else may be able to corroborate that.

On 3/7/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> Isn't there a way to download books in an audio format from bookshare? Does
> the player you want to use read text or just audio files?  Just because text
> is in the daisy format doesn't mean a player will play it.  The player would
> have to convert text to speech.  I'm quite sure I heard of a way to download
> books not with a human reader, but with a speech conversion program Book
> Share uses that converts text to speech, then, the user downloads the audio
> file.
>
> Gene

Carolyn, when you chose a format from Bookshare, what did you choose? Just because there is an .xml file doesn't necessarily mean the other files are etext. However, if the files *are* .txt you will not be able to play them on the talking book player. You'll have to put the folder on the card for the Stream and put that folder in $vrdtb.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Pamela Dominguez

She is trying to play them on the talking book player that laz sells, and that does play text files. Pam.

Carolyn, when you chose a format from Bookshare, what did you choose?
Just because there is an .xml file doesn't necessarily mean the other
files are etext. However, if the files *are* .txt you will not be able
to play them on the talking book player. You'll have to put the folder
on the card for the Stream and put that folder in $vrdtb.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

---
http://www.avg.com

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Laz, all Bookshare files come zipped, even the .brf files which are single files within the archive. Bookshare formats include DAISY etext, (the default), DAISY audio, DAISY with images, straight mp3 and .brf. they are all zipped. So when you download them, they must be unzipped and placed in their own folders just like BARD books.

Carolyn said something about a message about being able to play the books. This is at the beginning of *all* Bookshare books. It's about four pages long and is written in legalese. It explains about Bookshare and your right to read their books. It tells you what your rights and responsibilities are, and it details what Bookshare isn't responsible for e.g. your computer if it crashes etc., etc. and etc. Finally, it warns you sternly not to abuse your rights and so on and on. Just do a find for 'BEGIN CONTENT". It's about four pages or so.

My advice would be to go back onto Bookshare, download the file again, paying particular attention to the title of the zip file because it will tell you what format it is in. Before the download button on the Bookshare page is a combo box where you choose the format you want. The default is DAISY etext. So, if you don't change the combo box, that's what you're going to get. If, on the other hand, you open the combo box with alt-down-arrow, you can choose from the other formats.

You can try this yourself, Laz by downloading one of the public domain books. You can try Tom Sawyer or Treasure Island or anything that is in the public domain. You don't need to be a member to do that, though membership is so easy to get these days it's great. Shoot with seven hundred thousand books and periodicals that are accessible, my view is that anyone who doesn't take advantage of this is hmmm seriously in error. If you or anybody else wants info on how to get a Bookshare membership, let me know.

Hoping all this helps.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

I concur with what Ann said. I've been using BS for years and back
when I used my gen 1 victor I had to unzip the book, that I downloaded
in daisy text format, then place it into the right folder on the SD
card.
There is that bit of text at the beginning that is the same for any BS
book. I knew it threw me off the first time I read a book from BS. I
read them on my iPhone with voice dream reader so I can just three
finger swipe a few times to get past that bit now. I think it
registers as a heading so if you can navigate by those you should be
able to skip that to get to the meat of the book.

[...]

Again, the Talking Book Reader will read text files as well as
unprotected Daisy, eBook, and other file types. That's not the issue.