From: Monte Single [mailto:mrsingle@sasktel.net]
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2015 6:34 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] rugby 4 cell phone

Hi,

Rugby 4 cell phone?

It is a flip phone with talkback, military grade.

I do not want any info about contracts or plans; I am primarily interested
in the scope and features of talkback on this device.

Thanks,

MonteAnyone here have experience or information about the

Norman

Hi.
I'd be surprised if this device has much accessibility.
Here is an article with some info.
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=4476

On 9/11/2015 7:43 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
Is it's dial under glass or more accessible? Which carriers does it work
with? Is it available for civilian purchasers? Thanks.

Best from,

Carolyn Arnold

On 9/11/2015 6:34 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi,

   Rugby 4 cell  phone?

It is a flip phone with talkback,  military grade.

I do not want any info  about contracts or plans; I am primarily interested in the scope and features of talkback on this device.

Thanks,

MonteAnyone here have experience or information about the

Carolyn Arnold

If it does not have much accessibility, I'm not interested.

I am interested in getting a feature phone with the most accessibility. I do
want to be able to text with it. Gene had a link for Accessible World, and
there was an interesting segment with a man who had a Samsung, but I believe
it only worked with T Mobile, not a problem. I just want to find out as much
as I can to see if there are choices.

Best from,

Carolyn Arnold

It is a flip phone with talkback, military grade.

I do not want any info about contracts or plans; I am primarily
interested in the scope and features of talkback on this device.

Thanks,

MonteAnyone here have experience or information about the

Monte Single

It is a flip phone with tactile buttons. Military grade means it is
durable and works in extreme conditions and is more schokproof than the
average phone. Yes it is available through most major carriers.

It is a flip phone with talkback, military grade.

I do not want any info about contracts or plans; I am primarily interested
in the scope and features of talkback on this device.

Thanks,

MonteAnyone here have experience or information about the

Carolyn Arnold

Does it have speech capability?

Best from,

Carolyn

It is a flip phone with tactile buttons. Military grade means it is
durable and works in extreme conditions and is more schokproof than the
average phone. Yes it is available through most major carriers.

It is a flip phone with talkback, military grade.

I do not want any info about contracts or plans; I am primarily interested
in the scope and features of talkback on this device.

Thanks,

MonteAnyone here have experience or information about the

Monte Single

Yes, talkback is the same idea as a screenreader on your p c. it also has
voice recognitions which means you can give voice commands .

It is a flip phone with tactile buttons. Military grade means it is
durable and works in extreme conditions and is more schokproof than the
average phone. Yes it is available through most major carriers.

It is a flip phone with talkback, military grade.

I do not want any info about contracts or plans; I am primarily interested
in the scope and features of talkback on this device.

Thanks,

MonteAnyone here have experience or information about the

Fanus

Hello Norman
I can not find the manual on the site which you suggested. Can you help Please?
Regards
Fanus

This phone does not run android as referenced on a different post from me.
Your best place to learn about accessibility is to read the manual.
Here is samsung's page on it.
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-B780AZKAATT#key-specs
And the manual.
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=5813176&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=C&ModelName=SM-B780AZKAATT&VPath=UM/201411/20141115035545060/ATT_SM-B780A_Rugby4_English_User-Manual_NI1_F2_AC.pdf

HTH.

On 9/12/2015 4:04 AM, Fanus wrote:
[...]

Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...>

I don't know this phone, but it seems that Samsung in the last 2 years
whent to great strives to make things at least a little better for us.
I would say any galaxy model will be a success to handle. I'm going
for the j5.

On 12/09/2015, Norman <lists@thekingstech.com> wrote:
Hi.
From a previous message.
Here is the link to the manual.

--
Facebook: m.facebook.com/aidan.maher92
Skype: andries4451

Norman

Hi.
I would agree with you if the phone ran android but from what i could tell it doesn't.
From the little i've heard about the j5 i believe it does so should be fully accessible.

On 9/12/2015 8:43 AM, Aidan wrote:
I don't know this phone, but it seems that Samsung in the last 2 years
whent to great strives to make things at least a little better for us.
I would say any galaxy model will be a success to handle. I'm going
for the j5.

On 12/09/2015, Norman <lists@thekingstech.com> wrote:
Hi.
From a previous message.
[...]

Gene

Just because a phone doesn't run android and is not a smart phone doesn't mean it is not reasonably accessible.  As demonstrated in the presentation I did for accessible World, you can get a feature phone that is reasonably accessible and that doesn't run android.  That is the whole reason I did my presentation, to make people aware that there are phones that are not smart phones that are reasonably accessible.

I would agree with you if the phone ran android but from what i could
tell it doesn't.
 From the little i've heard about the j5 i believe it does so should be
fully accessible.

On 9/12/2015 8:43 AM, Aidan wrote:
> I don't know this phone, but it seems that Samsung in the last 2 years
> whent to great strives to make things at least a little better for us.
> I would say any galaxy model will be a success to handle. I'm going
> for the j5.
>
> On 12/09/2015, Norman <lists@...> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>   From a previous message.
>> Here is the link to the manual.
>> http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=5813176&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=C&ModelName=SM-B780AZKAATT&VPath=UM/201411/20141115035545060/ATT_SM-B780A_Rugby4_English_User-Manual_NI1_F2_AC.pdf'
>>

>> On 9/12/2015 4:04 AM, Fanus wrote:
>>> Hello Norman
>>> I can not find the manual on the site which you suggested. Can you
>>> help Please?
>>> Regards
>>> Fanus

Exactly Gene,

That is what I clearly wrote in the original post of this subject. The rugby 4 is a cell phone with Talkback.  There have been other  cell phone discussed on blindness related list such as the Gusto 3 and the odin.  The rugby 4 is the first such phone that my carrier of choice  has carried.

Hopefully I can check one out tomorrow.

Yes, I have downloaded and read the manual. On pages 84-85 it describes some of the features of Talkback.  But the info in the manual is not enough for me to make an informed   decision.

Later,

Monte

Just because a phone doesn't run android and is not a smart phone doesn't mean it is not reasonably accessible.  As demonstrated in the presentation I did for accessible World, you can get a feature phone that is reasonably accessible and that doesn't run android.  That is the whole reason I did my presentation, to make people aware that there are phones that are not smart phones that are reasonably accessible.

I would agree with you if the phone ran android but from what i could
tell it doesn't.
 From the little i've heard about the j5 i believe it does so should be
fully accessible.

On 9/12/2015 8:43 AM, Aidan wrote:
> I don't know this phone, but it seems that Samsung in the last 2 years
> whent to great strives to make things at least a little better for us.
> I would say any galaxy model will be a success to handle. I'm going
> for the j5.
>
> On 12/09/2015, Norman <lists@...> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>   From a previous message.
>> Here is the link to the manual.
>> http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=5813176&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=C&ModelName=SM-B780AZKAATT&VPath=UM/201411/20141115035545060/ATT_SM-B780A_Rugby4_English_User-Manual_NI1_F2_AC.pdf'
>>

>> On 9/12/2015 4:04 AM, Fanus wrote:
>>> Hello Norman
>>> I can not find the manual on the site which you suggested. Can you
>>> help Please?
>>> Regards
>>> Fanus

Where are these available, and do you have an idea of the cost of them?

Best from,

Carolyn

Yes, talkback is the same idea as a screenreader on your p c. it also has
voice recognitions which means you can give voice commands .

It is a flip phone with tactile buttons. Military grade means it is
durable and works in extreme conditions and is more schokproof than the
average phone. Yes it is available through most major carriers.

It is a flip phone with talkback, military grade.

I do not want any info about contracts or plans; I am primarily interested
in the scope and features of talkback on this device.

Thanks,

MonteAnyone here have experience or information about the

Norman

I didn't say that.
I just didn't know about this particular model.
If it does indeed turn out to be accessible i'll be happy and possibly even check it out.
Thanks.

On 9/12/2015 10:21 AM, Gene wrote:
Just because a phone doesn't run android and is not a smart phone doesn't mean it is not reasonably accessible.  As demonstrated in the presentation I did for accessible World, you can get a feature phone that is reasonably accessible and that doesn't run android.  That is the whole reason I did my presentation, to make people aware that there are phones that are not smart phones that are reasonably accessible.

I would agree with you if the phone ran android but from what i could
tell it doesn't.
 From the little i've heard about the j5 i believe it does so should be
fully accessible.

On 9/12/2015 8:43 AM, Aidan wrote:
> I don't know this phone, but it seems that Samsung in the last 2 years
> whent to great strives to make things at least a little better for us.
> I would say any galaxy model will be a success to handle. I'm going
> for the j5.
>
> On 12/09/2015, Norman <lists@...> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>   From a previous message.
>> Here is the link to the manual.
>> http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=5813176&CDCttType=UM&ModelType=C&ModelName=SM-B780AZKAATT&VPath=UM/201411/20141115035545060/ATT_SM-B780A_Rugby4_English_User-Manual_NI1_F2_AC.pdf'
>>

>> On 9/12/2015 4:04 AM, Fanus wrote:
>>> Hello Norman
>>> I can not find the manual on the site which you suggested. Can you
>>> help Please?
>>> Regards
>>> Fanus

And, Gene, am I ever grateful. It has helped me in my decision process for when my Verizon contract is up at the beginning of April. I am more interested in a phone than a computer. I have a computer at home that serves me well. I want to be able to punch 1 for English without it being a problem or a hunt and peck game. And, when I'm out, where I need a phone, I'm not interested in stock prices or the weather in Houston or how the Astros are doing. So, you opened a door for me, the door that I wanted opened. Thanks.

Best from,

Carolyn Arnold

Just because a phone doesn't run android and is not a smart phone doesn't mean it is not reasonably accessible. As demonstrated in the presentation I did for accessible World, you can get a feature phone that is reasonably accessible and that doesn't run android. That is the whole reason I did my presentation, to make people aware that there are phones that are not smart phones that are reasonably accessible.

I would agree with you if the phone ran android but from what i could
tell it doesn't.
From the little i've heard about the j5 i believe it does so should be
fully accessible.

On 9/12/2015 8:43 AM, Aidan wrote:
I don't know this phone, but it seems that Samsung in the last 2 years
whent to great strives to make things at least a little better for us.
I would say any galaxy model will be a success to handle. I'm going
for the j5.

On 12/09/2015, Norman <lists@thekingstech.com <mailto:lists@thekingstech.com> > wrote:
Hi.
From a previous message.
[...]

Monte, who is your carrier?

Best from,

Carolyn Arnold

[...]

Caroline,
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. My carrier is sasktel.net.
I prefer it to others like bell, rogers, and telus.

I am sure that all the majors carriers in the u s carry this phone. It is very popular because of its ruggedness. I can it for 250 canadian dollars or 80 with a two year contract. As the Canadian dollar is now worth about 75 cents u s I'm sure it would be about 25 per cent less in the u s .buy

[...]

I knew I'd have to pay, but for a good and substantial phone like you describe, after Christmas, when it is getting closer to the time that I will be out of my present contract, I'll start making inquiries about the Rugby 4. It sounds quite suitable, and I'm eager to get a look at one.

One of my best friends here in North Carolina is originally from Calgary, and I had a boss for ten years in Houston from Toronto.

Best from,

Carolyn