have you ever gotten this message? Windows lock screen?

Jim Rawls

Hi all, last Friday afternoon, I was shutting down my windows ten computer, and I was pulling down the top, and just before it locked into place, I heard jaws say,’ “Windows lock screen.’”

I  never gotten that message before so I raised the top and tried to get jaws to say something. It would tell me what I was pressing, but nothing would move. I couldn’t get to the desktop or start menu or anything., so I was left with the choice of force shut down, because the computer had decided to just lock up. I did the shut down, and when I rebooted, I now have no sound, but my sighted wife can move things around. And in the system tray, the speaker had an X through it, indicating that it is muted. I closed Microsoft and they worked with me for an hour and couldn’t solve the problem, and they are calling back tomorrow with someone from a higher level to see what they can do. Meanwhile I am on my old clunky W8.1 computer. How can I get my sound back on the W10 computer? My windows glen computer is running jaws18. Thanks for your help, and by the way, when I say no sound I mean that, Cds or files won’t play either. jim

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Jim,

See if the note below helps any at all:

Getting rid of the "resume display screen" prompt after not using the computer for 10 or 15 minutes

For several months, the lock or also called "log-in" screen comes on after no action from the keyboard or mouse for ten minutes.  The enter must be press or spacebar pressed on the correct username to get back to the desktop.
I am happy to report that the solution was found thanks to a friend.  He was also one of my best students in technology years ago.
So here is what had to be done.

How to shut off the locked screen feature in Windows Ten
1.  Press the windows key also called start button.
2.  Type in the following without quotes.
"screen saver"
3.  Arrow down to "change screen saver" and hit enter.
4.  Tab to the checkbox labeled "on resume display log-in screen" and press the spacebar to uncheck this box.
5.  Tab to apply and it enter.
6.  Tab to okay and hit enter.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.

[...]

Gene

Did the hour include running a restore point?  I don't know if that would help but if you have a restore point from before this happened, if I was going to help someone and had spent time doing other things I expected to help and they  didn't, I would run a restore point.
It's possible that something went wrong just because it did.  I have no idea if closing the lid had anything to do with the problem.  But because this odd thing happened, maybe it's a good idea not to close the lid to cause the computer to do what you want.  it's very easy to do whatever you want to do with the keyboard.

And whetever the cause and whether you currently have restore points or not, I would strongly urge you to make sure System Restore is on and running after you correct the problem.  Having restore points available can save you a lot of time and trouble removing odd problems without an obvious and easy solution.

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Jim,

As far as the Lock screen issue, that has already been answered.  If you see an X signifying mute near your sound icon in the system tray, my first issue would be, do you have a keyboard with a sound interface?  If you do, it is located above the function keys on a 101 QWERTY keyboard.  It may very on different models, but mine has 4 keys, the far right is mute.  It is a toggle and if you press it when the sound is muted, it will unmute it.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

but it is unlikely that the techs at the microsoft disability center wouldn't have checked the mute setting.  It sounds to me as though the drive may have been corrupted.  I suggested a system restore because, whether that is the problem or not, a system restore is likely to solve the problem, whatever it is.

Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:07 AM

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

The Windows10 computer will do this. If it locked up, it may be because you lifted the cover of the laptop. Ordinarily, all you need to do is hit esc and you get the log-in prompt.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Jim Rawls

I have that key, and when I press it, it does not unmute the speakers. I wish it
did. that's the first thing I did. smile. Jim

[...]

I'll try that mike, and go dodgers is right. Smile. Jim

[...]

Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the end you
have to ignore everything, & click I agree.