From: heather albright [mailto:kd5cbl@...]
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 5:38 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] best portable USB drive

Hello, I have two drives, one is a 1tb drive and the other is a 2tb drive!  I want just one drive that I can connect to my laptop!  I wanted to know if anyone has a good brand for portable usage with the laptop!  My old drive you had to plug in the AC outlet!  But, my other drives run off the usb port! I know that if you want a drive that you put in the PC after so much, you have to format it so the computer is abel to use the whole drive!

Is this the case with an external drive running off the USB port!

The one that plugged in died after five years, i think, and the other drives are full so I wanted to just have one drive instead of two! I have had them for a while my first drivewas in 08 and 10!  I know they have become smaller!

Thank you, Heather

Carlos

As Sylvia says, Western Digital is a reliable brand.  If the drive is larger than 2 TB and you want a single partition, you will have to format it using the GPT partitioning scheme.

Hi Heather, if you want an external that is USB powered, both Western Digital and Seagate have drives that will probably be what you want.

Hello, I have two drives, one is a 1tb drive and the other is a 2tb drive!  I want just one drive that I can connect to my laptop!  I wanted to know if anyone has a good brand for portable usage with the laptop!  My old drive you had to plug in the AC outlet!  But, my other drives run off the usb port! I know that if you want a drive that you put in the PC after so much, you have to format it so the computer is abel to use the whole drive!

Is this the case with an external drive running off the USB port!

The one that plugged in died after five years, i think, and the other drives are full so I wanted to just have one drive instead of two! I have had them for a while my first drivewas in 08 and 10!  I know they have become smaller!

Thank you, Heather

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Not sure that I can recommend a specific model, but I've always liked western digital. I purchased a really cheap one not to long ago that's been chugging right along. It's a USB 3 supported Wd My Passport external. Mines pretty small, only 500 Gigabytes, but I got it for like 35 bucks. haha
I can't say these days what the highest storage is going to be in these smaller USB powered drives or what the price for something as large as a 3 terabyte one may be, but I'd poke around on amazon or newegg for one that sounds like what you need.
Take care.

Hello, I have two drives, one is a 1tb drive and the other is a 2tb drive!
I want just one drive that I can connect to my laptop! I wanted to know if
anyone has a good brand for portable usage with the laptop! My old drive
you had to plug in the AC outlet! But, my other drives run off the usb
port! I know that if you want a drive that you put in the PC after so much,
you have to format it so the computer is abel to use the whole drive!
Is this the case with an external drive running off the USB port!
The one that plugged in died after five years, i think, and the other drives
are full so I wanted to just have one drive instead of two! I have had them
for a while my first drivewas in 08 and 10! I know they have become
smaller!
Thank you, Heather

Norman

Hi.
From what i have seen of the western digital passports they look like the way to go.
HTH.

Hello, I have two drives, one is a 1tb drive and the other is a 2tb drive!  I want just one drive that I can connect to my laptop!  I wanted to know if anyone has a good brand for portable usage with the laptop!  My old drive you had to plug in the AC outlet!  But, my other drives run off the usb port! I know that if you want a drive that you put in the PC after so much, you have to format it so the computer is abel to use the whole drive!
Is this the case with an external drive running off the USB port!
The one that plugged in died after five years, i think, and the other drives are full so I wanted to just have one drive instead of two! I have had them for a while my first drivewas in 08 and 10!  I know they have become smaller!
Thank you, Heather

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

Hi Jeremy, you and I probably have the same drive. I have the wd my passport ultra. I have no complaints about this drive even after a year of use.

[...]

Haha, yeah, for what I payed for it, it's been an absolute dream. I'd originally thought to replace it with something better when I had the green, thinking that 35 bucks would lead to something that wasn't super great quality, but it keeps chugging right along with no problems at all. Even after I'd accidentally bounced it on the floor a time or two, it still works great.
Tc.

On 9/18/2015 5:59 PM, Sylvia wrote:
[...]

I recently bought 2 of the 2 TB models for $89 each on Amazon.

[...]

The only thing that I really want more is one of the Wd Skyshare ones, can apparently use it as a battery operated NAS and also connect it through USB, but I've yet to find one at places I've visited. So far I've looked at Office max and our Best buy and they don't seem to sell it. I might end up grabbing one of the larger passports though, that's not a bad price at all for that size.
Pretty neat.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy" <icu8it2@gmail.com>

[...]

MamaPeach <mamapeach67@...>

The Western Digital Passport drives are great and I just found a 3 tb passport at Amazon the other day. The passport drives connect only through a USB port which is terrific too, no having to find an electrical outlet to plug it into, strictly uses USB.

[...]

Michael <mike122061@...>

Hi Heather,

Western Digital, the My Passport Essential is a good cost effective choice, and you will have the full volume of the drive for use, usually around 935 GB on a 1 TB drive. I believe that this drive comes in sizes up to 3 TB, and is USB 3.0 or 2.0 compatible.

Mike

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 4:37 PM

Hello, I have two drives, one is a 1tb drive and the other is a 2tb drive!  I want just one drive that I can connect to my laptop!  I wanted to know if anyone has a good brand for portable usage with the laptop!  My old drive you had to plug in the AC outlet!  But, my other drives run off the usb port! I know that if you want a drive that you put in the PC after so much, you have to format it so the computer is abel to use the whole drive!
Is this the case with an external drive running off the USB port!
The one that plugged in died after five years, i think, and the other drives are full so I wanted to just have one drive instead of two! I have had them for a while my first drivewas in 08 and 10!  I know they have become smaller!
Thank you, Heather

heather albright

Will a 3tb drive just run off the usb or will it have to be plugged in to an outlet with a AC adapter? Thanks, Heather

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 4:37 PM

Hello, I have two drives, one is a 1tb drive and the other is a 2tb drive!  I want just one drive that I can connect to my laptop!  I wanted to know if anyone has a good brand for portable usage with the laptop!  My old drive you had to plug in the AC outlet!  But, my other drives run off the usb port! I know that if you want a drive that you put in the PC after so much, you have to format it so the computer is abel to use the whole drive!
Is this the case with an external drive running off the USB port!
The one that plugged in died after five years, i think, and the other drives are full so I wanted to just have one drive instead of two! I have had them for a while my first drivewas in 08 and 10!  I know they have become smaller!
Thank you, Heather

Depends on the drive.

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 4:37 PM

Hello, I have two drives, one is a 1tb drive and the other is a 2tb drive!  I want just one drive that I can connect to my laptop!  I wanted to know if anyone has a good brand for portable usage with the laptop!  My old drive you had to plug in the AC outlet!  But, my other drives run off the usb port! I know that if you want a drive that you put in the PC after so much, you have to format it so the computer is abel to use the whole drive!
Is this the case with an external drive running off the USB port!
The one that plugged in died after five years, i think, and the other drives are full so I wanted to just have one drive instead of two! I have had them for a while my first drivewas in 08 and 10!  I know they have become smaller!
Thank you, Heather

Carlos

If it is specifically described as portable, then it will be powered by the USB port and will not require external power.

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 4:37 PM

Hello, I have two drives, one is a 1tb drive and the other is a 2tb drive!  I want just one drive that I can connect to my laptop!  I wanted to know if anyone has a good brand for portable usage with the laptop!  My old drive you had to plug in the AC outlet!  But, my other drives run off the usb port! I know that if you want a drive that you put in the PC after so much, you have to format it so the computer is abel to use the whole drive!
Is this the case with an external drive running off the USB port!
The one that plugged in died after five years, i think, and the other drives are full so I wanted to just have one drive instead of two! I have had them for a while my first drivewas in 08 and 10!  I know they have become smaller!
Thank you, Heather

Christina Stolze

Can someone tell me what this you are talking about and what it does? Sorry for my ignorance.

Christina

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 4:37 PM

Hello, I have two drives, one is a 1tb drive and the other is a 2tb drive!  I want just one drive that I can connect to my laptop!  I wanted to know if anyone has a good brand for portable usage with the laptop!  My old drive you had to plug in the AC outlet!  But, my other drives run off the usb port! I know that if you want a drive that you put in the PC after so much, you have to format it so the computer is abel to use the whole drive!

Is this the case with an external drive running off the USB port!

The one that plugged in died after five years, i think, and the other drives are full so I wanted to just have one drive instead of two! I have had them for a while my first drivewas in 08 and 10!  I know they have become smaller!

Thank you, Heather

Carlos

Hi Christina,
We are discussing external portable hard drives which connect to a USB port.  A truly portable hard drive will be powered from the same USB port to which it is connected for transferring data and does not require an additional power supply like a full-sized external drive.

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 4:37 PM

Hello, I have two drives, one is a 1tb drive and the other is a 2tb drive!  I want just one drive that I can connect to my laptop!  I wanted to know if anyone has a good brand for portable usage with the laptop!  My old drive you had to plug in the AC outlet!  But, my other drives run off the usb port! I know that if you want a drive that you put in the PC after so much, you have to format it so the computer is abel to use the whole drive!

Is this the case with an external drive running off the USB port!

The one that plugged in died after five years, i think, and the other drives are full so I wanted to just have one drive instead of two! I have had them for a while my first drivewas in 08 and 10!  I know they have become smaller!

Thank you, Heather

MamaPeach <mamapeach67@...>

As long as it it a portable drive, it toally runs off USB. Western Digital Passport drives, in my opinion, are the best. It has one cable that connects to the computer via USB and the other end connects to the passport drive. These are much smaller than the normal external drives and they work very well with a laptop.

Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2015 2:22 AM

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 4:37 PM

Hello, I have two drives, one is a 1tb drive and the other is a 2tb drive!  I want just one drive that I can connect to my laptop!  I wanted to know if anyone has a good brand for portable usage with the laptop!  My old drive you had to plug in the AC outlet!  But, my other drives run off the usb port! I know that if you want a drive that you put in the PC after so much, you have to format it so the computer is abel to use the whole drive!
Is this the case with an external drive running off the USB port!
The one that plugged in died after five years, i think, and the other drives are full so I wanted to just have one drive instead of two! I have had them for a while my first drivewas in 08 and 10!  I know they have become smaller!
Thank you, Heather

Michael <mike122061@...>

A portable hard drive of 3 TB will operate off of the USB port. Technically, a hard drive that sits beside the computer and plugs into a USB port and an AC outlet, is called an external desktop hard drive. All portable hard drives should be able to operate off of just the voltage provided by a USB port.

Mike

Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2015 1:22 AM