Uber Self-Driving Car Hits and Kills Pedestrian

Gerald Levy

For those of you who can’t waint to buy a self-driving car, you may have a long waint.  Uber has suspended its self-driving vehicle program after one of its autonomous vehicles hit and killed a pedestrian in Arizona:

Gerald

Evan Reese

It won’t be that long a delay. While one self driving car killed one person, a tragedy
to be sure, during the same 24 hour period, if previous year’s statistics are even
remotely close to this year’s, human drivers killed around 100 people. And that’s
just in this country.
Well before this accident, autonomous vehicles drove over 1 million miles without
a fatality.
There may be some delay, but it won’t be much.
Evan

Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 4:09 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Uber Self-Driving Car Hits and Kills Pedestrian

For those of you who can’t waint to buy a self-driving car, you may have a long waint.  Uber has suspended its self-driving vehicle program after one of its autonomous vehicles hit and killed a pedestrian in Arizona:

Gerald

Cristóbal

My aunt was hit by a car while walking in the crosswalk. During the time my parents owned a grocery store in the 80s, I can off the top of my head remember four people being hit/run over while crossing the street. One guy was taken out by a school bus while carrying his baby in his arms. A college buddy of mine once hit a guy riding his bike. And so on and so on.

I don’t think anyone’s ever said that driverless cars are the magic solution for all together ending car accidents or tragedies such as this. Holding up the very first example of this type of accident like some sort of ah-ha gotcha moment isn’t going to accomplish much.

This is the scenario that has been debated among forward thinkers and people who have to grapple with these types of problems to come. Who’s responsible for a death where AI is involved? How do you underwrite the insurance policy? What is the exposure for the insurance, AI developer/ car manufacturer or car owner? How do you press charges against a machine?

It’s very likely that driverless cars will in the long run reduce accidents and injury/death. No more tired, drunk/impaired drivers or people who are just straight up bad/reckless drivers who shouldn’t have a license to begin with, but eliminate accidents all together? That’s never going to happen. It’s a mistake to hold that standard up as some sort of ruler to gage this technologies success by.