An odd problem with Internet Explorer

Michael Mote

That’s a possibility.  May do that, if I can’t resolve it any other way.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:25 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] An odd problem with Internet Explorer

When was the last time it worked? Maybe you could do a system restore and go back to that point.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Mote
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:05 PM

I’ve done that several times, and no fix.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:48 PM

Well I would restart the PC and see if the problem continues!

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Mote
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:43 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] An odd problem with Internet Explorer

Hi folks!  I am helping someone troubleshoot an issue with Internet Explorer.  She tells me that when she wants to close IE with the Alt plus F4 key stroke or control plus F4, or Control plus W, it doesn’t close the window.  It simply stays open.  I even asked her to go into task manager to see if she could close the windows that way, but she says she had no luck with this method either.  Can anyone help me with this one?  Many thanks!

Matt

When was the last time it worked? Maybe you could do a system restore and go back to that point.

Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:05 PM

Hi folks!  I am helping someone troubleshoot an issue with Internet Explorer.  She tells me that when she wants to close IE with the Alt plus F4 key stroke or control plus F4, or Control plus W, it doesn’t close the window.  It simply stays open.  I even asked her to go into task manager to see if she could close the windows that way, but she says she had no luck with this method either.  Can anyone help me with this one?  Many thanks!

Carlos

The standard F key operations may still be reversed even though an external keyboard is being used.  Although this would not explain why Control+W does not work, it is still worth investigating.  In such cases, the F keys will perform their normal function in combination with the Fn key.  You can usually change this behavior either in the BIOS, with a manufacturer supplied utility, or Mobility Center depending on the brand/model.  With some Dell laptops you can change this behavior in Mobility Center.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:04 PM

Yes, but a regular keyboard is being used with it.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:44 PM

Is the machine a laptop?

Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:42 PM

Michael Mote

Michael Mote

Yes, but a regular keyboard is being used with it.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 1:44 PM

Is the machine a laptop?

Walt Smith

Which is *always* the first thing that anyone should do when something that formerly worked suddenly either stops working or provides unexpected responses.

Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:48 PM

Matt

Carlos

Is the machine a laptop?

Michael Mote