From: "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@windstream.net>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2016 7:14 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Application Key.

I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

Quentin Christensen

As Carlos said, it's probably an Fn Key if it's on your laptop.  The Fn key is usually used with other keys to do things for which you don't have a dedicated key on the laptop - eg change the volume or the screen brightness, or toggle the right half of the letters as a number pad if your laptop doesn't have a dedicated number pad (there are a few Fn key combinations that seem to be fairly common but no real standard to say press FN and this to do that unless we were both working from the same model laptop).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:
It may be an Fn key.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@...>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

What happens when you turn keyboard help on, insert 1 on the main keyboard and press the key?  You can then turn keyboard help off with the same command, insert 1.  You can use either insert, at least when using the desktop layout.

Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2016 6:14 PM

I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

Gene

It may be but when there is more than one key with the same name on a keyboard, its position should always be specified.  Since there are two control keys, whether the left or right control is being referred to should be specified.

>I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a key
> to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.
>

> Best from,
>
> Carolyn

Carlos

Keyboard help will not announce the Fn key, but that in itself will probably tell you whether it is an Fn key.

Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2016 6:14 PM

I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

Carlos

Although I just remembered Keyboard Help also does not announce modifier keys like Control, Shift, and Alt so the fact that it is not spoken may not necessarily tell you much.

Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2016 6:14 PM

I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

Quentin Christensen

NVDA's input help will announce modifier keys like control, alt,
windows and shift. It doesn't announce the Fn key itself, but if you
press Fn and another key, it will (usually) announce what that
combination does. For instance on my Dell laptop it announce Fn+F11
decreases volume and Fn+F12 increases volume.

NVDA's keyboard help works very similarly to Jaws - press Insert+1 to
turn it on or off if you're using Insert as your NVDA modifier key or
Caps lock+1 if you're using Caps lock.

NVDA's keyboard options also contain a checkbox to "Speak command
keys" which will always read control, alt etc as you press them, even
without input help on.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
22 Point

Web: http://www.22point.com.au
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/22Point
Twitter: https://twitter.com/22PointApps

Check out our first app, RapiTap! - Tap targets fast & avoid decoys:
Adrenaline pumping, Challenging, Accessible!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.twentytwopoint.rapitap
Free trial: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.twentytwopoint.rapitapfree

On 16 May 2016 at 10:00, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
Although I just remembered Keyboard Help also does not announce modifier
keys like Control, Shift, and Alt so the fact that it is not spoken may not
necessarily tell you much.

Keyboard help will not announce the Fn key, but that in itself will probably
tell you whether it is an Fn key.

I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

Monte Single

I did not know that there is any difference between using  the left or right modifier key; i.e.; control, windows, alt, shift.

If there is,  howand when does it apply?

Thanks,

Monte  an

It may be but when there is more than one key with the same name on a keyboard, its position should always be specified.  Since there are two control keys, whether the left or right control is being referred to should be specified.

>I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a key
> to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.
>

> Best from,
>
> Carolyn

Carlos

That is because the Fn key is hard coded so it cannot be easily detected. The Fn key combinations themselves however can be detected since they generate scan codes which correspond to standardized expanded/media functions in most cases.

Keyboard help will not announce the Fn key, but that in itself will probably
tell you whether it is an Fn key.

I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

Carlos

In most cases it makes no difference, but it is possible for some software to distinguish between the left/right pairs which may be useful with certain hotkey utilities or programs that allow you to customize keyboard shortcuts.

It may be but when there is more than one key with the same name on a keyboard, its position should always be specified.  Since there are two control keys, whether the left or right control is being referred to should be specified.

>I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a key
> to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.
>

> Best from,
>
> Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold

Thanks, and thanks to all of you on the lists who have shown me so many things, things I never would have learned otherwise.

Now that my friend is getting a computer, I have encouraged her to join the list. I hope she does. She is a retired medical transcriptionist, but has not used a computer for several years.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

As Carlos said, it's probably an Fn Key if it's on your laptop. The Fn key is usually used with other keys to do things for which you don't have a dedicated key on the laptop - eg change the volume or the screen brightness, or toggle the right half of the letters as a number pad if your laptop doesn't have a dedicated number pad (there are a few Fn key combinations that seem to be fairly common but no real standard to say press FN and this to do that unless we were both working from the same model laptop).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com <mailto:carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> > wrote:

It may be an Fn key.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@windstream.net <mailto:4carolyna@windstream.net> >
I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

I'm not sure if there is ever a difference but my point is that when you say there is a key to the left of control the question is, which control.

gene

It may be but when there is more than one key with the same name on a keyboard, its position should always be specified.  Since there are two control keys, whether the left or right control is being referred to should be specified.

>I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a key
> to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.
>

> Best from,
>
> Carolyn

Quentin Christensen

For the most part, there isn't any difference - if you want to save a document, it doesn't matter which control key you use when you press control+s.

One of the most common ones I can think of is left alt+left shift+printscreen to put Windows in high contrast mode which won't work if you use the right alt or shift keys.

The original and main reason there are two of most of the modifier keys is for touch typing - if you want a capital letter for instance, if it's a letter you type with your left hand (eg A or Q), it's easier to use your right little finger to press control while you press the letter with your left hand - and vice versa for typing a capital P or L.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Carolyn Arnold

My husband looked, and the key to the left of the left Control is a
Function key. Everything seems to work like it is supposed to, so I don't
understand why it's there, but I'm sure it serves some purpose. Jim just
looked it up, and evidently, it just gives more function to the F keys.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a
key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

Carlos

Fn is short for funtion.

I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a
key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

Carlos

Typo, I meant function.

I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there is a
key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold

You are right. Keyboard Help does not announce the Function Key.

When I first got this computer, I had too much new stuff to contend with
the thing, went back to Office Max and bought a Logitech. It is plain
Jane. This one is like the one from Gomer the Guru, can control speaker
volume. That is a feature easy to get used to.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Keyboard help will not announce the Fn key, but that in itself will
probably tell you whether it is an Fn key.

I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is that there
is a key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold

I can't read this Keyboard with my Optacon. I usually can, and that is
really nice.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Although I just remembered Keyboard Help also does not announce modifier
keys like Control, Shift, and Alt so the fact that it is not spoken may
not necessarily tell you much.

Keyboard help will not announce the Fn key, but that in itself
will probably tell you whether it is an Fn key.

I made a mistake about that. The keys are here. It is
that there is a key
to the left of Control that I do not know the reason for.

Best from,

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold

JAWS Keyboard Help announced all keys with the function keys except Function - did Control, Windows and Alt, but not Function.

Bye for now,

Carolyn