Note Pad Question Please.

Janet

Hi Everyone,
Is it possible to type in large print instead of just the standard text size in notepad? If so, would someone please tell me how.
Using Windows 7 latest JAWS.
Thank you.

Janet

Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi Janet!

I am using Windows 10 but I believe you have the same menu structure under 7.  I open NotePad, go to the format dropdown and arrow down to font size press enter then tab to the item that says font size and from there you should be able to arrow down and increase the size of your font.  To get to the format menu I press Alt-E then arrow once to the right.  There maybe an easier way of getting to the font window but I don't know it<SMILE!>.  This larger font is reflected in both the onscreen font as well as the size of the font which your are typing.  Hope this helps..! Good Luck & Have A Good 1! de

<KF8LT><Jim>.

On 31-Mar-18 17:18, janet gross wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Is it possible to type in large print instead of just the standard text size in notepad? If so, would someone please tell me how.
Using Windows 7 latest JAWS.
Thank you.

Janet

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Janet,

With Notepad open press, Alt + O, to open the Format menu.
While you're here make sure, Word Wrap, is checked for better navigation.  If it isn't press enter to check it.  If you checked Word Wrat you need to open the format menu again with, Alt + O.
Arrow down to, Font..., & press enter.  Tab through making your settings adjustments, & press enter on, Okay, when finished.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.

Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 2:18 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Note Pad Question Please.

Hi Everyone,
Is it possible to type in large print instead of just the standard text size in notepad? If so, would someone please tell me how.
Using Windows 7 latest JAWS.
Thank you.

Janet

Carolyn Arnold

I think you can try Control and Plus sign, only I don't know if it will get as large as you can by going to Font like Jim says, which I know will work.

[...]

Gene

Open the menus.  right arrow to format and start down arrowing.
Press enter on font.  It's a dialog.
Tab to size.  Up and down arrow to change the size.  I don't know what size constitutes large type as the term is used for the visually impaired.  Once on the size you want tab to the ok button and activate it.  Or you can try just pressing enter, which will very likely do the same thing where you are.

I don't think Notepad remembers any settings changes to fonts so check what the settings are the next time you use the program.

Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 4:18 PM

Hi Everyone,
Is it possible to type in large print instead of just the standard text size in notepad? If so, would someone please tell me how.
Using Windows 7 latest JAWS.
Thank you.

Janet

Gene

If you open the menus and right arrow to format, you will hear the shortcut key announced.  You are currently moving to the edit menu with alt e, then right arrowing to the font menu.  This could be important because you may not be working with short cuts in menus efficiently in general.  Right or left arrow on the menu bar of any standard Windows program.  If you let each menu title read fully, you will hear the short cut announced after the title.  You never have to move to one menu in order to move to another.
In this case, the short cut for the format menu is alt o.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 4:32 PM

[...]

Hi Mike,

I followed your instructions, and it worked like a charm!

Thank you thank you!

Janet

Is it possible to type in large print instead of just the standard text size in notepad? If so, would someone please tell me how.
Using Windows 7 latest JAWS.
Thank you.

Janet

Carolyn Arnold

I think 18 point is large print, but, of course, you can
make it larger than that.

Is it possible to type in large print instead of just the
standard text size in notepad? If so, would someone please
tell me how.
Using Windows 7 latest JAWS.
Thank you.

Janet

TerriLynne Pomeroy <tl1@...>

We print our newsletter for blind and low vision people in 16 point font.

TerriLynne

I think 18 point is large print, but, of course, you can make it larger than
that.

Is it possible to type in large print instead of just the standard text size
in notepad? If so, would someone please tell me how.
Using Windows 7 latest JAWS.
Thank you.

Janet

Mike Thomas

I'll just add that 10 or 12 point text is pretty normal reading size. Notepad will go up to 72 point text. I remember reading somewhere that 72 point text results in approximately 1 inch high text. If I'm addressing a package to be mailed, I usually use 16 to 18 point text which makes it pretty stick out in appearance. Of course remember as text size becomes bigger, the number of characters that fit on a line quickly decreases.
Mike

I think 18 point is large print, but, of course, you can
make it larger than that.

Is it possible to type in large print instead of just the
standard text size in notepad? If so, would someone please
tell me how.
Using Windows 7 latest JAWS.
Thank you.

Janet

Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi there!

I believe that 12 point is the standard font size, and this is the size that I normally leave it set at.  When I am trying to proof read something as I read it I will set the size to 36 or 48 and when I am ready to do something official with it, I will change the size back to the 12 point size.  I know when I was taking college classes, most of my instructors liked things turn in, in 12 point if I remember correctly.  Just my thoughts..! Catch Ya all later! de

<KF8LT><Jim>.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@...>
I think 18 point is large print, but, of course, you can
make it larger than that.

Is it possible to type in large print instead of just the
standard text size in notepad? If so, would someone please
tell me how.
Using Windows 7 latest JAWS.
Thank you.

Janet

Gene

The default size in the program, if you don't change it, is 10.  I don't know this, but I would think the default in the program would be set to reflect the standard size generally used.