Is there such an animal as a program to convert DAISY to MP3?

Walt Smith

Subject says it all. Does this kind of thing exist anywhere? Thanks.

--
Walt Smith - Clearwater, FL

Monte Single

Hi Walt,

As I know it  a book  or other document  in daisy format is actually a folder made of a few different types of files. One of these type of files is .mp3. So if I have a book in daisy for mat and I want to play it on a device which will  only read .mp3 files, I open the folder, select all the .mp3 files, and put them in a folder on the device where I want to play them. So,  I am    not converting any files, I am just putting the book  in a simpler format;, that is .mp3 files only.

I think that is how it works,  and I’ve  very wrong before.

Later,

Monte  

Sent: October-18-15 7:22 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Is there such an animal as a program to convert DAISY to MP3?

Subject says it all. Does this kind of thing exist anywhere? Thanks.

--

Walt Smith - Clearwater, FL

ka3agm@...

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

You can use Kurzie or OB to do this, dunnow if you'll get the DAISY mark-up though. It would be straight .mp3 files.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Cristóbal

Kurzweil1000 for sure or maybe balabolka if the file isn't protected.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2015 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is there such an animal as a program to convert
DAISY to MP3?

Hi all,

You can use Kurzie or OB to do this, dunnow if you'll get the DAISY mark-up
though. It would be straight .mp3 files.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Walt Smith

Sorry, Monte, but it's not always the case that there's an MP3 file in there. For example, anything that I've seen from Bookshare -- and it's Bookshare DAISY books that I'd like to be able to convert to MP3 without having to put up with what I consider their unacceptable MP3-format files. What I'd really like to see would be a program that'd take a DAISY book and convert it using some easily-installed voice such as one of the Microsoft or similar voices. Looks like I'm going to have to dream some more.

Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2015 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is there such an animal as a program to convert DAISY to MP3?

Hi Walt,

As I know it  a book  or other document  in daisy format is actually a folder made of a few different types of files. One of these type of files is ..mp3. So if I have a book in daisy for mat and I want to play it on a device which will  only read .mp3 files, I open the folder, select all the ..mp3 files, and put them in a folder on the device where I want to play them. So,  I am    not converting any files, I am just putting the book  in a simpler format;, that is .mp3 files only.

I think that is how it works,  and I’ve  very wrong before.

Later,

Monte  

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

Walt, if you just want an .mp3 file, then get a copy of DocuScan Plus. You can download books to it from bookshare and change them to an .mp3 file, depending on what voice you bought for DocuScan Plus you can have it do the file in that voice. I use it with the Neospeech voices.

Now, this is just a plain .mp3 file, it has no DAISY mark-up. You can do the same with Kurzie or OB.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Walt Smith

Thanks, Ann -- $300 is still a bit more than I was hoping to have to part
with, but that's at least better than Kurzweil or OpenBook.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 4:39 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is there such an animal as a program to convert
DAISY to MP3?

Hi all,

Walt, if you just want an .mp3 file, then get a copy of DocuScan Plus.
You can download books to it from bookshare and change them to an .mp3
file, depending on what voice you bought for DocuScan Plus you can have
it do the file in that voice. I use it with the Neospeech voices.

Now, this is just a plain .mp3 file, it has no DAISY mark-up. You can
do the same with Kurzie or OB.

Ann P.

Curtis Delzer

Of course, K1000 does this quite nicely, and as a bonus will create a daisy book for you, or just an mp3 per chapter, depending on it's book marks.

At 11:19 AM 10/19/2015, you wrote:
Sorry, Monte, but it's not always the case that there's an MP3 file in there. For example, anything that I've seen from Bookshare -- and it's Bookshare DAISY books that I'd like to be able to convert to MP3 without having to put up with what I consider their unacceptable MP3-format files. What I'd really like to see would be a program that'd take a DAISY book and convert it using some easily-installed voice such as one of the Microsoft or similar voices. Looks like I'm going to have to dream some more.

Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2015 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is there such an animal as a program to convert DAISY to MP3?

Hi Walt,

As I know it  a book  or other document  in daisy format is actually a folder made of a few different types of files. One of these type of files is ..mp3. So if I have a book in daisy for mat and I want to play it on a device which will  only read .mp3 files, I open the folder, select all the ..mp3 files, and put them in a folder on the device where I want to play them. So,  I am    not converting any files, I am just putting the book  in a simpler format;, that is .mp3 files only.

I think that is how it works,  and Ive  very wrong before.

Later,

Monte