Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:23 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] laptop keys problem

I hope somebody can help me with this.  At the moment, I am using a wireless keyboard on my Lenovo Thinkpad 550 laptop.  But if I go to use its own keyboard, some of the key commands don’t seem to register.  First of all, the function key is just to the left of the control key.  Any commands that I need to do using the function key don’t register as such.  The only keys that register are the other keys that I press along with it that are not the function key.  For instance, I can’t raise or lower the volume using the function key commands, because the only keys that register are the top keys of the comand.  Also, just recently, I have noticed, I can’t do alt f4 or control f4 and have that work.  If I do alt f4 the only key that will register is the alt, so instead of asking me if I want to shut down, it will put me in the menus, which may or may not have an exit choice.  It doesn’t matter how I press these keys; whether I press them together, or whether I press one and hold it down while I press the other, and how quickly or slowly I do it.  Can anybody tell me what I might be able to do to fix this?  I hope so.  Thanks in advance.  I sent a message to blindtech, and haven’t heard back yet.  Pam.

Pamela Dominguez

It works, but it seems to work grudgingly.  I had to do it several times.  Why would I have to do function key alt f4?  It never worked that way before.  And why wouldn’t the function key work for anything else?  Pam.

Try holding the function key and using the alt f4 command.  Let us know what happens.

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:23 PM

[...]

Gene

I don't know what caused the change.  the function key is on when it isn't depressed.  When you depress it, it's now off.  A lot of laptops are that way.  others can suggest how you can change it to the old way.  Do you get updates from the manufacturer of the laptop?  I really don't think it's a good idea to get such updates and I never do.  Windows updates are one thing and they should be gotten.  But manufacturer updates are, in my opinion, better not gotten.  I suspect a manufacturer's update caused the change, though we'll see what you say about whether you get them.

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 3:28 PM

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:23 PM

[...]

Okay; if I got an update from the manufacturer, I didn’t realize it, somehow.  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 3:28 PM