converting audible books

Bill K <billmeister@...>

Hi Everyone,
I don't know if I didn't get an answer for this, or if maybe I should write this to the windows group, but I think I have the conversion program for audible books, but I need to know what the file name is, and if I don't have it where I can go to get it?
Many thanks,
Bill K.

Blaster

I don't know which version of Windows your running,
But, if your asking how to show file extensions in your windows
explorer so you can tell what file type your audio files are currently
in, like .mp3, .MPA, ect, then you could do the following.

Open your windows explorer by pressing the windows key then tap the
letter E key.

When the file explorer opens press the ALT key and tap the letter T
key to open the tools drop down menu.

Arrow down to the folder options entry and press the enter key.

There are tabs across the top of this menu, use your TAB key to get to
the first one called general, then use the right arrow key to move
over to the tabl labeled "view".

Use your TAB key to move down until you get to the advanced settings
list of checkboxes.

Use the down arrow key until you come to the checkbox labeled "hide
extensions for known file types." and uncheck that box.
Tab down to the ok button and press the enter key.

You may need to close then reopen windows explorer for these changes
to take effect.

HTH,
Blaster

On 11/9/15, Bill Koppelmann <billmeister@samobile.net> wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I don't know if I didn't get an answer for this, or if maybe I should
write this to the windows group, but I think I have the conversion
program for audible books, but I need to know what the file name is,
and if I don't have it where I can go to get it?
Many thanks,
Bill K.

Carlos

It sounds as if he is asking for the file name of a particular program's installer. Unfortunately I can't help since I have no idea which program this is, but I thought it was worth clarifying the nature of the question.

[...]

Thanks, I totally missed that one.

Blaster

On 11/9/15, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
[...]

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

According to U.S. copyright law, it's OK to convert them for yourself, but it is most definitely illegal to post them or to reproduce them for distribution of any kind.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Matt

Well, are you sure of that ? it is legal to convert a copy protected format
to a none copy format. I don't think so I think it is saying you can make
personal backup copy for yourself. This does not mean altering the format it
comes in without permission from the source.
Also most of these companies has their own agreement and I don't think
audible agreement allows you to copy their stuff in a different format. I am
willing to say if you called them and said I want to make a copy of your
audible books I bought from you as a backup but want to convert how it is
recorded .They would say no you cannot do that. If it was a matter of just a
backup copy then yes but I think in this case they would say you have a
backup copy as we keep one for you. So I would check out their tern of
agreement first.
Now this being said if you did this and as long as it was just for your use
would they come for you? I don't think so what so ever. But that don't make
it legal or not breaking their tern of agreement!
So you show me where in the copy write laws gives you permission to make a
personal copy of something in other than the format it is in without
permission from the source! If you can then put that here on the list tell
where to go and get the copy write law and what paragraph at is in the law.
Now the page and paragraph . cause I don't think it is saying that myself.
Not saying you are fibbing I think you are misunderstanding what it is
saying.

Thanks,
Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

According to U.S. copyright law, it's OK to convert them for yourself, but
it is most definitely illegal to post them or to reproduce them for
distribution of any kind.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Carlos

I agree. The fair-use laws have never been clarified to my satisfaction in respect to how they apply to DRM protected material. And as Mat says, even if you legally have the right to make a copy for backup purposes, I'm not sure that converting it to another format would be considered acceptable in such cases.

According to U.S. copyright law, it's OK to convert them for yourself, but
it is most definitely illegal to post them or to reproduce them for
distribution of any kind.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Matt

Also you better believe that BARD or NLS would not let you even make a
backup copy . Especially converting it to another format ! These is a
government agency . So that says a lot there . They want even let you share
your membership or player or even your app. Another one would be NFB News
line they would have a fit if you copy what they did without their
permission. Copy write law does not usually trump a company terns and
agreement.

Thanks,
Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

According to U.S. copyright law, it's OK to convert them for yourself, but
it is most definitely illegal to post them or to reproduce them for
distribution of any kind.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Armando <armando.l.vias@...>

I agree. It is copyrighted. I think that converting audible books is allowed, but if you have bookshare, you can download books onto your uputer and transfer them to a USB Flash Drive.

Armando <armando.l.vias@...>

Sorry. I think that converting audible books is not allowed due to copyright, but if you have bookshare, you can download books to your computer and tranfer them to a USB Flash Drive. So, it is not recommended to convert audible books.

Matt

No don't think you can convert them yes I think you would be allow to make a
backup copy but not change the format of it. I also don't know if Audible
would let you do this if they knew as they make a backup for you. I sure
they might let you copy or download it to a USB stick to use on a device
that would play audible books. What people is forgetting is their tern and
conditions and agreement you agree to. I would say in there it would not
allow to convert their stuff to a different format . They have a reason for
it to be copy protected in that format.
Here again I want someone to show me where in copy write law this is said
and then also show me in Audible terns and agreement where this is allowed.

Thanks,
Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

I agree. It is copyrighted. I think that converting audible books is
allowed, but if you have bookshare, you can download books onto your uputer
and transfer them to a USB Flash Drive.

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

Yes, that's what I am saying. You can make a personal copy for yourself, but you can't post it anywhere or give it to anyone or anything else.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

Hi all, converting audible books isn't allowed but you can burn one copy for
your personal use.

Yes, that's what I am saying. You can make a personal copy for
yourself, but you can't post it anywhere or give it to anyone or anything
else.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I am not sure about the copyright laws themselves,but I believe the agreement with Audible itself does not allow conversion to an unprotected format.

On 11/10/2015 8:09 AM, Matt wrote:
[...]

Gene

Citing copyright law is not adequate in this instance.  As you say, the material is copy protected and I have never heard, in all the years audible has been around, that it is legal to make copies except in one case, making cd copies of books in the manner audible provides. I've specifically heard an interview many years ago with the then president of Audible who said that it was necessary to offer publishers strong protection for them to make their books available.

Also, I very much doubt that copyright law overrides whatever terms of service Audible presents in this case.  I haven't sseen those.  I am not a lawyer and I am not saying it is or is not legal to make a personal copy.  I'm saying that there is reason to believe it isn't and that nonlawyers opinions on the subject of intellectual property are notoriously unreliable.  I shall therefore simply say that there is a good chance it is illegal and that presuming otherwise without proper legal advice is unwaraanted.

web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Armando <armando.l.vias@...>

It is legal to make a copy for personal use but you are not allowed to share it, such as posting it to the Internet.

Matt

Yes it is as a personal use or backup but not to convert it from a protected
format ! This is where the problems lies not making a backup copy! It is
changing a protected format . If it was not in a protected format then
converting it to a different audio format would be different! The whole
reason in this protected format is to protect the book writer work and the
company that is putting it out for them.
Why do you have to change their protected format to make a backup copy ? It
is no different than BARD or NLS or NFB News line or any other organization
or company or individual work they don't mind you making a copy for backup
the problem is taking it out of their protected format if they have one.
JMO!

Thanks,
Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

It is legal to make a copy for personal use but you are not allowed to share
it, such as posting it to the Internet.

Matt

Totally agree!

[...]

I don't either. I would have to bring up the terns and agreements . or call
them but I sure their answer is NO but NO!

Thanks,
Matt.from.florida@gmail.com