Wireless laserjet printer question

Robin Frost

Hi Everybody,
I was just curious if anyone out there is using a wireless capable laserjet printer which you were able to set up out of the box without vision and if so which ones and are you using it under windows 10?
I ask because I purchased an HP wireless capable printer with my new windows 10 pc and thus far even with it hooked up via USB for now I can’t find a way to communicate with any web interface it might have for getting its wireless connectivity started using screen readers at all.  It might soon be returned which led me to wonder if anyone has had greater success with such devices and if so with which models.
Thanks for all light you could shed on this for me in advance.
Robin

Well, Robin, have you checked the HP site for a Windows10 driver update?  On your wireless network, is the printer being detected?

I am using a Canon all-in-one Model Number MF8580CDW and I was able to get it going with no sighted help.  One caveat:  I am NOT RUNNING Windows10, so the opinion expressed here may be mooted.

But, try haunting down a driver on the HP site first before you give up on the printer.

Sincerely,

Olusegun

Denver, Colorado

Robin Frost

Hi,
Well apparently the pc has found its driver as I can print with it via USB I just can’t access any part of its interface to set up its wireless capabilities so as to connect to it via that method.  I hope that clarifies.
Robin

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:17 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Wireless laserjet printer question

Well, Robin, have you checked the HP site for a Windows10 driver update?  On your wireless network, is the printer being detected?

I am using a Canon all-in-one Model Number MF8580CDW and I was able to get it going with no sighted help.  One caveat:  I am NOT RUNNING Windows10, so the opinion expressed here may be mooted.

But, try haunting down a driver on the HP site first before you give up on the printer.

Sincerely,

Olusegun

Denver, Colorado

Hi Robin:

You may need to install the software the printer came with.  Possibly, the necessary wireless interface software is on the CD you have.  I’ll suggest disconnecting the USB plug before doing this.  In my case, I didn’t even bother to use the USB plug my printer came with.  I simply installed the accompanying software and the wireless protocol was easy to set with a screen reader and no sighted help.

I understand that the software may be badly designed for accessibility.  Be that as it may, I believe that if you call HP’s Tech Support, they’ll gladly help you with the wireless interface if all other attempts don’t seem to be working as expected.  I find Canon Tech Support folks to be pretty cool, and I think that HP folks are about the same if not better.

With that, I’m going back to CUTTING THE WIRES and lining them up for sale on Wall Street just to see how much I’ll make in such an auction <smile>, all the very best!

Sincerely,

Olusegun

Denver, Colorado

Blaster

Thanks for that printer info. My friend bought an Epson wireless
printer, not sure what model, but he told me the initial setup was
done using the printers video screen, soI wouldn't have been able to
set it up without sighted assistance. I was almost ready to give up
on the wireless printer option.

Thanks, You gotta' love this list.
Blaster

On 11/11/15, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
<ukekearuaro@valtdnet.com> wrote:
Well, Robin, have you checked the HP site for a Windows10 driver update?
On
your wireless network, is the printer being detected?

I am using a Canon all-in-one Model Number MF8580CDW and I was able to get
it going with no sighted help. One caveat: I am NOT RUNNING Windows10, so
the opinion expressed here may be mooted.

But, try haunting down a driver on the HP site first before you give up on
the printer.

Sincerely,

Olusegun

Denver, Colorado

Thomas N. Chan

You should download a HP suite drivers with applications which will help you to configure that printer to hook onto the wireless network of yours.

Its just a standard thing from HP. I configured 3 of them in my office, both of them are colour.

The wizard application should be accessible as far as I know.

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

I was just curious if anyone out there is using a wireless capable laserjet printer which you were able to set up out of the box without vision and if so which ones and are you using it under windows 10?

I ask because I purchased an HP wireless capable printer with my new windows 10 pc and thus far even with it hooked up via USB for now I can’t find a way to communicate with any web interface it might have for getting its wireless connectivity started using screen readers at all.  It might soon be returned which led me to wonder if anyone has had greater success with such devices and if so with which models.

Thanks for all light you could shed on this for me in advance.

Robin

Robin Frost

Hi,
Sadly I did attempt to install the software but the instructions with this printer actually said if you’re not using it in an enterprise environment you shouldn’t need the cd. Once installed all the software merely gave me blank screen announcements no matter what I did.  So sadly this model is packed up in its box and will head back tomorrow as HP had no suggestions for getting it going short of having sighted help and that which I consulted who sells printers for a living by the way didn’t get much further than did I so this model wasn’t meant to be mine.  I know someone who has had success with a Cannon so that’s what I’ll try next. It makes me sad as I’ve always had hp printers but oh well so it goes and the search continues.
Robin

Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:23 AM

[...]

Hi,Thomas,
Have you ever encountered the HP m401dw as that’s the model about which I was speaking? It has a small touch screen on itself which also added to the difficulty of setting it up as before it’d even work with USB connectivity you had to select certain things via that touch screen as well.
Robin

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:58 PM

Hi Everybody,
I was just curious if anyone out there is using a wireless capable laserjet printer which you were able to set up out of the box without vision and if so which ones and are you using it under windows 10?
I ask because I purchased an HP wireless capable printer with my new windows 10 pc and thus far even with it hooked up via USB for now I can’t find a way to communicate with any web interface it might have for getting its wireless connectivity started using screen readers at all.  It might soon be returned which led me to wonder if anyone has had greater success with such devices and if so with which models.
Thanks for all light you could shed on this for me in advance.
Robin

Hello Robin:

I don't know where you grab printers from; for me, I would go to, say, Office Depot or Office Max (now dead I think), find a salesperson, run down the list of printers with him or her, check always for printers with buttons (they are becoming extinct, just like cell phones).  Then I lay my hands on the selected printer, play with it as much as possible, check their price, buy if the price is right; else, I go look for the same model online.

When I do this, I try to go in myself!  Why?  Go with a family and, before you get to two printers, they're frustrated because you're asking a thousand questions!

At the last Office Depot I visited, I did find a number of Canon printers with buttons!  However, my interest was solely on the ImageClass series!  I found one on display which they didn't want to sell.  They wanted me to order it and have it delivered.  No, I grabbed one from Amazon instead and it was cheaper than they wanted me to pay.

Yes, I've loved HP printers!  I used one for nearly 12 years.  In fact, I still have sentimental attachment to it such that it's still sitting here and gathering the dust of forgetfulness <smile> as it rolls with the moss!  It is an inkjet which barely suck ink!  Overtime though, HP and others grew wiser (or more stupid); they began producing inkjets that stole from the pocket book and, after playing with a Brothers printer at work, I gave up and settled for a Canon laser.  The Brothers printer actually HIT THE TRASH CAN much faster and is probably in some landfill or being recycled.  May its gentle (assuming it had one) soul rest somewhere in between peace and whatever.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Robin Frost

Hi,
How poetic (laughs).
Sadly time constraints and a trip to the emergency room and then unscheduled emergency surgery (which so wasn’t on my schedule) made such a trip impossible this go round maybe next time
However, amazon is bringing me soon a canon laser which a friend has gotten working without vision so we’ll see how we make out with that one.
Thanks for your thoughts; and I understand the fondness for past tech too (smile).
Robin

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2015 1:21 PM

[...]

i work with erlier model and i dont remember i need to select anything on the touchscreen to even use their USB. all i need is that HP suite for that particular model and load everything i need to configure from there.

--------------------
regards
Thomas N. Chan

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:58 PM

Hi Everybody,

I was just curious if anyone out there is using a wireless capable laserjet printer which you were able to set up out of the box without vision and if so which ones and are you using it under windows 10?

I ask because I purchased an HP wireless capable printer with my new windows 10 pc and thus far even with it hooked up via USB for now I can’t find a way to communicate with any web interface it might have for getting its wireless connectivity started using screen readers at all.  It might soon be returned which led me to wonder if anyone has had greater success with such devices and if so with which models.

Thanks for all light you could shed on this for me in advance.

Robin

Robin Frost

Hi,
thank you for replying. Ultimately I decided I couldn’t make that model work and returned it in favor of another but I sure gave it my best shot.
Robin