hijacking messages

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Very sorry my last note was a hijack.  I use the "reply" function to fill in the "to" field and forgot to delete the original message.

I'll try to do better.

Howard

Laz

Whether one deletes all the contents of a previous message or not
replying to an existing thread to send a new message is still
hijacking.

Why not just send a new message to main@techtalk.groups.io instead?

Laz List admin

On 5/14/18, Howard Traxler <howard@traxlerenterprises.com> wrote:
Very sorry my last note was a hijack. I use the "reply" function to fill in
the "to" field and forgot to delete the original message.

I'll try to do better.

Howard
Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Thanks for your concern to not hijack threads.

However, as I understand it, deleting the contents of a message and writing a new subject line and message body isn't adequate.  I've seen comments before that doing that doesn't remove code in messages. The unremoved code makes e-mail programs place them in the old conversation if people are viewing mail by conversation.  also, it may place the message in the old thread in the archives, thus having a completely unrelated message in that thread of the archives.

If we find out that these things don't occur, fine but unless we find out, would people please start completely new threads, sending a completely new message to the list?  If someone has problems doing so, for some reason, sending a message to the list asking about the problem will likely get effective help in resolving it.

If someone has problems doing this and needs to ask for help on the list to learn to do this, it's fine to use a message from an existing thread.

Gene
List Owner

Very sorry my last note was a hijack.  I use the "reply" function to fill in the "to" field and forgot to delete the original message.

I'll try to do better.

Howard

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Well, I did delete the text in the subject line which, in effect, changes the thread and creates a new message; then when I started the message, if I had done control a, the original message would be gone and it would virtually be a fresh message. I didn't just type the address into the "to" line because I didn't remember it. So I went back in my in box to find a message sent to the list.

Whether one deletes all the contents of a previous message or not
replying to an existing thread to send a new message is still
hijacking.

Why not just send a new message to main@techtalk.groups.io instead?

Laz List admin

On 5/14/18, Howard Traxler <howard@traxlerenterprises.com> wrote:
Very sorry my last note was a hijack. I use the "reply" function to fill in
the "to" field and forgot to delete the original message.

I'll try to do better.

Howard

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Sorry guys, I guess I thought I knew more than I do--which is usually the case.  There must be some stuff in the message headers that gets retained that I'm not aware of.  I'll try not to do it again.

Thanks.
Howard

Very sorry my last note was a hijack.  I use the "reply" function to fill in the "to" field and forgot to delete the original message.

I'll try to do better.

Howard

Laz

Sorry but changing the visible aspects of an email message in a thread
are not enough. there is information in the message headers that
belongs to the original thread that you haven't edited and which makes
your "new" message part of the old thread.

[...]

Does that mean the address isn't in the contacts?  Do you have your program set to automatically add messages to the address book?