jaws options

Bill <billmeister@...>

Hi Everyone,
Many thanks for your feedback on installing jaws, now I'd like to go a bit further and ask some questions on what is your favorite jaws option. Perhaps that's not the right word to use, so feel free to put the right one in if you wish.
Let me give you an example. One of the things i especially hate about system access, and I don't know if this is just mine or what, but just almost always when I run across the word bob in a text, it doesn't say bob at all, and one of the things I always liked about jaws is their dictionary. I'm hoping that the dictionary still works pretty much as it always did, but if not, could a few of you perhaps introduce me to just how you use the dictionary these days?
Here's another good example, and this one appears in Jaws, or it did in the early millennium anyway, and I'm talking about these 3 letter month things like Jun and Jul which don'e sound anything like June or July, but with the dictionary, you can make mar in to March and Jan in to January and the like.

I also liked the facility that Jaws had with scores back in the day, and I seriously hope that they've not removed it. So, have they added any other fun things that you can do with jaws?

My special favorite is how you can check for updates, I really like that, and that's absolutely the way it should be. With system access, they don't tell you about updates, they just assume that you'll want the update, and suddenly it's there. While I don't mind that, I bet there are some of you who would mind it quite a lot and might want to stay with the older version or whatever the word is.
So, use your imagination here, and if you think that your thoughts might be just a bit off the curve, feel free to write to me directly at
billmeister@samobile.net

--
Bill Koppelmann
FACEBOOK: Bill.Koppelmann

Robin Frost

Hi,
I'm happy to report that the jfw pronunciation dictionary does still exist and can be found under settings manager. It is a helpful feature for which I'm most grateful.
I'd always thought that one of the reasons offered for why System Access hadn't implemented a pronunciation dictionary was due to its cloud based orientation however I could be completely wrong in my remembrance of this and perhaps they've added one more recently. I haven't gone poking around for such as I use it so little, merely as a backup or alternative to test the accessibility of various elements on screen from time to time.
I believe JFW's research it feature still offers sports scores as mentioned as well.
And again this dovetails nicely with a point Bill inspired in another thread regarding choices and alternatives. Whether or not this is a good thing or even a preferred thing it's becoming my experience that having more than one tool of any kind today and especially more than one screen reader is no longer a luxury but rather almost a necessity these days as at any given time one can handle a given situation or on screen element as I mentioned better or more efficiently than another. And with the fluid state of technology especially content online I can't imagine that the days of merely using one screen reader exclusively and achieving ultimate functionality will return any day soon.
Robin

[...]

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

The JAWS dictionary has not changed for quite a while. The ResearchIt
feature for looking up scores does not work any more.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

I drive my dictionary crazy making it say things the way I want it to. A
good example is per se. JAWS default says it like per see, but I make it
say it like per say.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

I can just hit Insert-D and am in the Dictionary, but also can get into
it in JAWS Manager with Insert-F2.

Bye for now,

Carolyn