From: Bill Koppelmann
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2016 8:02 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] my bookshare concerns

Hi Everyone,
Someone brought up bookshare, and maybe this is a bit off track, but I
just had to say this. Now, this is only me, but I'm especially unhappy
with Bookshare as I don't like the voice that you get if you put a
bookshare book on a bookport or the like, and maybe i'm not the best
searcher of books, but I've not found any books there that I've really
been happy with, so I'm not continuing with BookShare, I'd rather have
my books read by a person, just one of my little quirks, but with me
being in my 7th decade, I figure I got the right. <smiles>
Any comments?
Bill K.

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

I agree with your viewpoint of that voice, I wish gthey gave more options.
With your preference for books read by humans, that pretty much leaves
Bookshare out. However, I can't imagine that among their more than 400,000
titles you wouldn't find a few you'd like, but if you don't enjoy reading
them with synthesized speech, you're better off with NLS.

Dean

Someone brought up bookshare, and maybe this is a bit off track, but I just
had to say this. Now, this is only me, but I'm especially unhappy with
Bookshare as I don't like the voice that you get if you put a bookshare book
on a bookport or the like, and maybe i'm not the best searcher of books, but
I've not found any books there that I've really been happy with, so I'm not
continuing with BookShare, I'd rather have my books read by a person, just
one of my little quirks, but with me being in my 7th decade, I figure I got
the right. <smiles> Any comments?
Bill K.

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

Well, you could always put the etext DAISY through OB or Kurzie or whatever and tell it to make an mp3 with a different voice. That's what I do. I use the Neospeech Paul, and I love it. I don't read a whole lot of books from Bookshare, but when I do, I want Neospeech.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Mich Verrier

I prefer human narration for sure. how ever on the other hand book shair is good for books that you can't find in any other format. for instance I have been looking for years for the audio book timothy of the cay by Theodore tailor i know that audible has a coppy of this book but it is red by jeff woodmen and not by the person who red the cay mikle boatmin. now i know that this book is red by mikle boatmin and i have seen it on audio cd but i can't seem to find a coppy. so untill i do then the text to speech will have to do. from Mich. ----- Original Message -----

Someone brought up bookshare, and maybe this is a bit off track, but I just
had to say this. Now, this is only me, but I'm especially unhappy with
Bookshare as I don't like the voice that you get if you put a bookshare book
on a bookport or the like, and maybe i'm not the best searcher of books, but
I've not found any books there that I've really been happy with, so I'm not
continuing with BookShare, I'd rather have my books read by a person, just
one of my little quirks, but with me being in my 7th decade, I figure I got
the right. <smiles> Any comments?
Bill K.

Have you tried learning ally I know that they have human volunteers who read books.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Caitlyn Furness <caitlyn.furness@...>

I, for one, love book share and all the hard to find books they have, that no one else does. they also have agreements with publishers, so hot new titles get put on their site fairly quickly, versus bard, which can take a whale’s age to get up to date titles.

My preferred way to read books is braille, which, to me, is more like reading was when I could see, instead of having a book read to me via synthetic speech or a person. Book share is great for .brf books.

Having said that, I also do enjoy books when the narration is very good, so I won’t discount bard or audible, etc, for books at times, especially for fiction.

heck, I am just a book worm at heart and have always been that way, sighted or now blind.

Caitlyn

On Jun 6, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Dean Martineau <topdot@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Juanita Martin <jordmartin@...>

I totally agree; I was taken in by those human sounding voices at first, but I'd rather hear a human reading; I actually like it when the authors read their books.

thermofitmom.myitworks.com

On Jun 6, 2016, at 7:02 AM, Bill Koppelmann <billmeister@samobile.net> wrote:

Hi Everyone,
Someone brought up bookshare, and maybe this is a bit off track, but I just had to say this. Now, this is only me, but I'm especially unhappy with Bookshare as I don't like the voice that you get if you put a bookshare book on a bookport or the like, and maybe i'm not the best searcher of books, but I've not found any books there that I've really been happy with, so I'm not continuing with BookShare, I'd rather have my books read by a person, just one of my little quirks, but with me being in my 7th decade, I figure I got the right. <smiles>
Any comments?
Bill K.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I have been following this thread without comment, but here I must state
the following. If you want controversial books--particularly from a
liberal/left point of view, Book Share is the place to go. I have
requested a number of such books from NLS/BARD and from Learning Ally
and gotten absolutely no results. Audible is fine for some of that
stuff, but even they don't have a full library of such books by authors
such as Jim Fetzer, James Dieugenio, Michele Alexander, Ishmael Reid (I
know you probably never heard of these folks) and many others I have
read recently. Book Share has many of such books.

Long live Book Share!

Book share has quite a few of such books.

On 6/6/2016 10:03 AM, Caitlyn Furness wrote:
[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Michael <michael_boyd.70359@...>

My concern and reason for not re-upping my Bookshare membership is the $50 membership fee. I did not mind paying the $25 that I used to pay, but $50 is a little steep when there are free resources out there that have the same books. I was also a subscriber to Learning Ally at one time, but it too became to expensive for me to be a member of. I just do not have that much time to read books, the reading that I am usually doing is out of necessity, not for pleasure. Audio books just don't hold the same attraction as reading the printed word. I find that many of the readers who unselfishly donate their time just do not fit the books that they are assigned to read.

Michael