From: Jim Rawls
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 10:36 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] What are the advantages of W10 over W7?

I ask this question sincerely, not to just take up space on the list? And let’s include W8.1 in the question as well. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on ten yet, and am wondering if it is really worth it. I know some of you have done this, and by now can give me a good objective answer. So please don’t write just  because. Smile. Jim

Gerald Levy

What do you mean by recovery options?  Are you talking about System Restore, or recovery from a backup image file stored on an external hard drive?

Gerald

Superior built-in and accessible recovery options.  Aside from that, I can't really think of any.
I ask this question sincerely, not to just take up space on the list? And let’s include W8.1 in the question as well. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on ten yet, and am wondering if it is really worth it. I know some of you have done this, and by now can give me a good objective answer. So please don’t write just  because. Smile. Jim

Carlos

No, I'm talking about Refresh and Reset which essentially allows you to restore Windows to a clean state.

What do you mean by recovery options?  Are you talking about System Restore, or recovery from a backup image file stored on an external hard drive?

Gerald

Superior built-in and accessible recovery options.  Aside from that, I can't really think of any.
I ask this question sincerely, not to just take up space on the list? And let’s include W8.1 in the question as well. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on ten yet, and am wondering if it is really worth it. I know some of you have done this, and by now can give me a good objective answer. So please don’t write just  because. Smile. Jim

Gene

Do you want to use or to play with Cortana?  I have no interest in playing with or using it.  Some people may write about features Windows 10 has that they like but I haven't heard of any that I care about except the enhanced recovery options Carlos mentioned.  I don't care enough about those to upgrade.  How old is your computer now?  One possible reason to upgrade is that support for Windows 7 will stop in 2020.  If your computer is rather new, that might be a reason to upgrade.  If your computer is three or four years old now, I wouldn't put much weight on that reason.  Your computer will be seven or eight years old in 2020 and who knows if, or how long it will continue to work at that time.

I ask this question sincerely, not to just take up space on the list? And let’s include W8.1 in the question as well. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on ten yet, and am wondering if it is really worth it. I know some of you have done this, and by now can give me a good objective answer. So please don’t write just  because. Smile. Jim

Jim Rawls

Gene, great answer here. My computer is about six months old, so I guess I’ll upgrade, but I will wait awhile till FS can support the Edge browser, and I guess the operating system still  has bugs to work out, but it really doesn’t sound like any great shakes of an operating system, maybe a little better than 7, and much better than this 8.1 that I now have and don’t like. Smile. Jim

[...]

If you have a computer that still works well with Windows 7, it might pay to wait awhile to buy a new one with Windows 10.  That’s because computers with solid-state drives are becoming less expensive, and in a few years, maybe even before 2020, SSD’s may become cheap and reliable enough to completely replace mechanical hard drives, much as flat panel LED displays and TV’s rapidly replaced bulky CRT models.

Gerald

[...]

Matt

Well, just do a dual boot on it and you can have your W7 and W10 and be learning W10 in your spare time. JMT

[...]

No so far it is a pain. Not near as simple. At least if you have a visual impairment. But sure there is visual people who would not like it as well.

Superior built-in and accessible recovery options.  Aside from that, I can't really think of any.

I ask this question sincerely, not to just take up space on the list? And let’s include W8.1 in the question as well. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on ten yet, and am wondering if it is really worth it. I know some of you have done this, and by now can give me a good objective answer. So please don’t write just  because. Smile. Jim

enes sarıbaş

hi,
advantages of windows 10 over 7
automatic maintenence: Does all maintenence tasks such as defrag, updates, .net optimisation, time synchronization  disk cleanup and more.  As a result, computer will slow down less.
runs alot faster.
Supports modern hardware
is a free upgrad
is more secure

On 11/17/2015 6:10 PM, Jim Rawls wrote:

[...]

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

After the first year, it’s a paid upgrade correct?

[...]

I’m not so sure that auomatic disk defrag is such a great feature.  Defragging a hard drive too frequently could actually shorten its life, according to some experts.

Gerald

[...]

As of now! That could change.

[...]

Appreciate your comments. Jim

[...]

The effects of such maintenance on speed are not significant.  And a number of the things you mentioned are automatic in Windows 7 as well.  Windows 7 defrags automatically.  updates are automatic in Windows 7 unless you change the setting.  Disk cleanup has no effect on speed.  It may free up some room on a hard drive but it has no effect on computer speed.  Windows 10 is faster, according to the little I've read but I doubt the speed increase is significant.  others who use Windows 10 may wish to comment on that.

Gene

[...]

I didn’t realize that Windows 7 automatically performs disk defrag on a weekly basis by default, until I checked it.  I had been defragging my hard drive manually every two months using Auslogics Disk Defrag, but I guess I really don’t need it anymore if Windows 7 performs this function automatically.  I changed the schedule from the default weekly to monthly, but I’m wondering whether even monthly defragging is too frequent, and whether this could shorten the life of my hard drive.

Gerald

[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Actually I find the speed as a noticeable difference in both 8.1 which I have used for over a year and now even faster with Win10. But I also admit that the Asus laptop I am running Win10 on is new, pretty clean and has an ssd drive so these surely boost the speed. I guess some of us just enjoy the challenge of learning the newest Windows even though it can be aggravating at times. I can’t say I think it is so wonderful but I hated 8 until I got used to it and now I love it. So it is a matter of opinion and you can’t really judge until you try it. A few months down the road I might think it is great.

Marie

[...]

yes according to microsoft.

On 11/17/2015 7:28 PM, Kimsan wrote:

[...]

it does not run constantly. It runs weekly, which is acceptable. Also, not defragging a drive can also shorten it's life.

On 11/17/2015 7:55 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:

[...]

Additional advantage
supports uefi and secure boot which offers increased protection against rootkits and other malware that tries to overwrite the MBR.