Google Mail for dummies!

Walter Ramage

Hi folks.  OK, I'll try and keep this simple.  I've joined a new sharing list but I couldn't sub with my current ISP, they must see it as spam or something.  However when I got an iPhone and in order to use Google Maps, I had to create a Google account and by default, I have a Google Mail address and I have been subd using that address.  The problem I have is when I got the Google mail account, I never intended using Google mail but it seems now I have no choice.  Therefore, can anybody help me with using Google Mail.  It has been said to me it is dead simple but I've yet to discover that.  I don't know how to reply to a mail, I don't know how to delete an email, I've no clue how to get to my drafts folder etc.  It is a lot easier to use the iPhone but much of the stuff I'll need to do is via the computer.  I use Win7 and Jaws16, or 15, I have both on the PC.  Help now and in the future will be appreciated.  Walter.

Avast logo

Ron Canazzi

Hi Walter,

If you wish to use your desktop for Google Mail, you should be able to configure a pop 3 or Imap with any recent e-mail program. They have the settings on the Google page.

On 11/17/2015 1:51 PM, Walter Ramage wrote:
[...]

Hi. I use outlook 2007 but I don't know how to do what you describe.
Walter. a

[...]

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
I'm kinda confused, so forgive me why not just put it into outlook, or the apple mail client?

Sent from an iPad. Please excuse any spelling errors.

On 17 Nov 2015, at 6:51 p.m., Walter Ramage <wpr@...> wrote:

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I think he would if he could find out how to do that.  My question is, why does he have to use Gmail at all, anyway?  Just because he has to have a google account for something doesn’t seem to me to mean that it is necessary to use Gmail.  Please enlighten me.  Pam.

From: Pamela Dominguez <geodom@optonline.net>
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:31 pm

On 17 Nov 2015, at 6:51 p.m., Walter Ramage <wpr@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

Sent from a Braille Sense

Walter Ramage

Hi. Well, I did say I need help for dummies and now I'm confused because I
don't know what you mean by "Just put it in Outlook or the Apple mail
client." Just to add to the confusion a new development has occurred. This
new email list was created last Saturday. The owner subd me at his end but
I got no mail, and of course, couldn't send mail. He then subd me with my
Gmail address and I was able to get mail and send mail that way, and I have
to go to Gmail to access any mail. I'm not an experienced Gmail user, not
yet anyway. He sent me the posting address and via my outlook 2007 client I
sent a test message to see what kind of response I'd get from the server but
there was nothing at all. I went back to Gmail around 40 minutes later to
explain what my ISP had to say about the situation (they had nothing to say
because they are not blocking anything and there is no reason they say why
I'm having this trouble) and I found that test message was there. So I
tried again from Outlook and that message got to the list but I didn't get a
copy in outlook. I did in Gmail. So I don't really understand why 1 I can
post via outlook and it seems to get there via Gmail but 2. mail posted by
others appear in Gmail but isn't appearing in my outlook in box. Talk about
confused, a night's sleep hasn't made things any clearer. Walter.

[...]

________________________________

Avast logo <http://www.avast.com/> This email has been checked for
viruses by Avast antivirus software.

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
So, you have your blueyonder.co.uk account added to outlook. In other words, you don't use the web version. Thought of adding GMAIL to outlook, as well? If so, can you both send and receive through GMAIL with outlook?

[...]

Hi. My ISP is Virgin Media, Blue Yonder is a Virgin Media domain and for
some reason I can send to the list from my email client, Outlook 2007 but I
don't know what to do , or how to do it so my Gmail mail (incoming) will
appear in my outlook in box.. Hmm, I see myself as a tech dummy in this
regard but I think I've been too complementary towards myself. Walter.

[...]

OK, have you found how to add an account within outlook? While I don't have outlook, in shape or form, I might be able to help.

[...]

Hi. Vaguely, the port numbers confuse me. Walter.

wrote:

[...]

If, you check SSL for both the outgoing and incoming, you shouldn't have to touch the numbers.

wrote:

[...]

Matt

Hi, is this agmail account? You are trying to setup in outlook? If so what
version of outlook do you have?

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

wrote:

[...]

Hi. I'm using outlook 2007 with Jaws 15 or 16, I have both on my system.
Walter.

wrote:

[...]

So is this a Gmail account? I have office 2010 as of now. I can help with
this I think but need to know who you are using for your email service . If
Gmail it is really easy to setup in outlook. Not as easy in 2007 but in 2010
and above it is really easy. It is that in 2007 it don't always detect your
email settings automatically and you have to manual put in the settings. But
this is not hard either.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but he said he doesn't know what that means and how to do it. He doesn't need to be told to do it unless you give him instructions as to how to do it. Pam.

[...]

Adrien Collins <adriencollins22160@...>

Hi

If you use office 2007 or higher it is easy to set-up gmail
as it can auto setup a gmail account once you have put in
the pass word and e-mail address.

Regards

Adrien