1 Touch to Unblock Websites

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi All,

Below is an app I came across that might benefit some of you.

Fact of the day:

Splenda was an insecticide that became a sweetener when an assistant

misheard an order to "test" it as "taste" it.

Things to ponder:

Why is an Alarm Clock Going "off" when It Actually Turns on?

One Touch to Unblock Websites | For some reasons you may not be able to visit a website due to restrictions by service providers or censorship by institutions or governments at your location. However, these geo limitations can easily be overcome by average users. How easily? Hey, it is just a tap on the screen.

On a mobile device, install and run this app,

Betternet

 tap the “Connect” button, you can then unblock and access all websites and services including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or other websites banned at your location or workplace. Simple as that.

What this app provides is a free unlimited Virtual Private Network (VPN) service. It detects your location automatically and connects you to the nearest server that can access all websites and services, therefore bypassing your default server that may restrict your access right.

Besides encrypting your data for security, this app also allows you to surf the Web anonymously. It changes your IP address so that your online identity is anonymous and internet activity is hidden. With this, you can gain access to geo restricted services such as Netflix that limits its availability to some countries only.

Better still, this app does not impose irritating ads on the web pages you’re browsing, though it does occasionally recommend third party apps to you. This is how Betternet works for free with no ads but covers its costs from promoters who pay Betternet in return for recommendation.

You can install Betternet to your Android or iOS mobile devices from the links provided below, or go to the download page to get a version for browser extensions or the Windows desktop.

https://www.betternet.co/#download

Betternet is not the only VPN service as there’re plenty of them in the market, some free with ads and some that you need to pay for, including several best paid VPN services reviewed by Gizmo here.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-vpn-services.htm

Free Mobile App of the Week

Betternet

For Android Download:

 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freevpnintouch

For iPhone and iPad Download:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/unlimited-free-vpn-by-betternet/id946659216?mt=8

Author, Jojo Yee from Gizmo Daily Tech Treats,

August 29 2015

Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
This raises a question. If I'm on a unique
IP address, does this mean I can do whatever, and I will not be caught?
Sent from a BrailleNote

[...]

Carlos

MMM, not necessarily. In theory such services make you anonymous, but they may be legally required to release information under certain circumstances.

[...]

Well, here's what I thought. Pranking someone. Now, unless the person knows how to trace this back, could anything occur to anyone?
PS. On a school network, where everything is blocked, mlvb.net is the solution. Class mates are using twitter through it. But, I didn't just say this.

Sent from a BrailleNote

[...]

Also, it is worth noting that proxy servers and VPNs will add latency to your connection and may slow down your browsing.

[...]

It could not be traced by the average person. Just be careful that what ever you have in mind is not illegal.

[...]

Well, while I have no mainstream yet, it'll be quicker than the apex loading web pages.

Sent from a BrailleNote

[...]

I have nothing in mind, but obviously, on things like a school network, you have to be careful. LOL, I can't even access it at this point, unless they have a windows CE version of it?

Sent from a BrailleNote

[...]

Donald L. Roberts

This brings up a related question.

My ISP is Comcast. If I grab torrents using a program such as Utorrent, is the use of Betternet likely to shield my IP sufficiently to preclude Comcast from sending one of those nasty notices? Some persons allege that Comcast sends such a notice any time a torrent program is used, regardless of what is being downloaded.

Don Roberts

On 8/31/2015 12:00 PM, rajmund wrote:
[...]

.

Carlos

Most BitTorrent clients, including I believe uTorrent, have some kind of protocol encryption/obfuscation which can be enabled in their settings. In theory, this will prevent your ISP from detecting the data packets as P2P traffic, but of course nothing is ever guaranteed.

[...]

jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Also remember that when you're connected to the VPN, keep an eye out on what types of traffic you send through it, most especially in using services like your bank, etc. Before my wife moved here to the states, she was using a similar service to bypass restrictions placed on the Canadian version of netflix, to get access to stuff that we had here on her phone. Even on the documentation pages for the free service, it warned against keeping the VPN enabled while making things like bank transactions.

On 8/31/2015 2:00 PM, rajmund wrote:
[...]

Mohamed

I'm concerned about the windows download, it goes to CNET downloads, and I'm concerned that there may be adware bundled with it.

On 08/31/15 02:17 PM, Mike B. wrote:

[...]

Indeed, that is a big concern with CNET downloads these days.

[...]

Now if only I had an internet connection with my VM, I'd test it out in there first.

On 08/31/15 05:05 PM, Carlos wrote:
[...]

LOL, want me to get it, and then dropbox it? Note takers are strong enough to hold on. Oh, this offer goes to anyone. I'm willing to download anything, and then dropbox it.

[...]

Sent from a Braille Sense

Carlos

The problem is that CNET now quite often uses their own stub downloader which is what includes the promotional software. So whether they download it directly from CNET or someone else hosting the file, there is still the risk of unintentionally installing junkware.

[...]

Do you mean the junkware is within the exicutable itself?

[...]

Not necessarily, but the stub downloader will download/install promotional software along with the legitimate software if you are not careful to refuse the included offers.

[...]

But note takers can't get viruses. So in theory, I should just have one single file, that I chose to download.

[...]

Promotional software is not the same as viruses. Also, I think you are misunderstanding how it works. You download the stub package and run it. The stub package then makes different offers such as toolbars and so on. You can usually refuse these offers, but if you are not careful to refuse them, they will be installed along with your legitimate software. So whether the person downloads this stub package directly from CNET or somewhere you have hosted the file like Dropbox, the problem will still exist.