From: Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2018 1:50 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Safe To Remove Hardware Message

Hi All,

Running Widows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81) with Jaws 16 thru J2018 latest.  Whenever I want to eject / remove an external harddrive I click on the system tray icon, choose the device, and press enter on it, but Jaws doesn't report the following:

Safe To Remove Hardware: The ’USB Mass Storage Device’ device can now be safely removed from the computer.

Can anyone tell me how to get Jaws to report the message above?  Or, what setting is supposed to be activated to make Jaws report the message above?  All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

External hard drives can't be ejected like cards or USB drives.

Tell me, is Widows 10 better than the Nuptual version? Wouldn't Widows be more apt to give the blue screen of death? <smiling> Yes, I know I'm bad, very bad!

Ann P.

Running Widows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81) with Jaws 16 thru J2018 latest. Whenever I want to eject / remove an external harddrive I click on the system tray icon, choose the device, and press enter on it, but Jaws doesn't report the following:
Safe To Remove Hardware: The ’USB Mass Storage Device’ device can now be safely removed from the computer.
Can anyone tell me how to get Jaws to report the message above? Or, what setting is supposed to be activated to make Jaws report the message above? All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks mooy moocho.
Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

You can't eject hard drives and I have many flash drives that can't be ejected either.  One of the terms used is incorrect.  but the procedure described is for using safely remove hardware so the procedure is correct.

Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2018 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Safe To Remove Hardware Message

Hi all,

External hard drives can't be ejected like cards or USB drives.

Tell me, is Widows 10 better than the Nuptual version?   Wouldn't
Widows be more apt to give the blue screen of death?  <smiling>  Yes, I
know I'm bad, very bad!

Ann P.

> Running Widows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81) with Jaws 16
> thru J2018 latest. Whenever I want to eject / remove an external
> harddrive I click on the system tray icon, choose the device, and press
> enter on it, but Jaws doesn't report the following:

> Safe To Remove Hardware: The ’USB Mass Storage Device’ device can now
> be safely removed from the computer.
> Can anyone tell me how to get Jaws to report the message above? Or,
> what setting is supposed to be activated to make Jaws report the
> message above? All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks mooy moocho.
> Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
> Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In
> the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Again All,

Okay, by doing the following Jaws will report the safe to remove message, although not consistently.  I knew I had a note about this somewhere because this also happens in Widows 7, and this is how I fixed it in Widows 10:
1. Windows key + I, to open Settings, Navigate to Personalization, and press enter.
2. Go to, Taskbar, press enter, tab to, Notification Area, Select which icons appear on the taskbar Link, and press enter.
3. Tab to, Windows host process (Rundll32) Button, press the spacebar to  check this option, and you should now hear Jaws report it's safe to remove.... after pressing enter on a drive from the Safely Remove Hardware icon.

Please let me know if the steps work for anyone else.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2018 2:49 PM

Hi all,

External hard drives can't be ejected like cards or USB drives.

Tell me, is Widows 10 better than the Nuptual version?   Wouldn't
Widows be more apt to give the blue screen of death?  <smiling>  Yes, I
know I'm bad, very bad!

Ann P.

> Running Widows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81) with Jaws 16
> thru J2018 latest. Whenever I want to eject / remove an external
> harddrive I click on the system tray icon, choose the device, and press
> enter on it, but Jaws doesn't report the following:

> Safe To Remove Hardware: The ’USB Mass Storage Device’ device can now
> be safely removed from the computer.
> Can anyone tell me how to get Jaws to report the message above? Or,
> what setting is supposed to be activated to make Jaws report the
> message above? All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks mooy moocho.
> Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
> Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In
> the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Gene,

Yes I have checked, and the removal process is completed whether the announcement is made or not.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Have you verified that the device is being removed?  It may well be that the message isn't being read.  But go into computer and see if the drive is still shown after the removal procedure.  At this point, we don't definitely know if there should be a message because we don't know if removal is occurring.

Running Widows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81) with Jaws 16 thru J2018 latest.  Whenever I want to eject / remove an external harddrive I click on the system tray icon, choose the device, and press enter on it, but Jaws doesn't report the following:

Safe To Remove Hardware: The ’USB Mass Storage Device’ device can now be safely removed from the computer.

Can anyone tell me how to get Jaws to report the message above?  Or, what setting is supposed to be activated to make Jaws report the message above?  All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

Hi Mike,

I’m sorry, but I get that same problem. It  is like Jaws not starting at the logon screen for me,  I tried to repair Jaws twice, but both times I got an error message stating that the repair could not be completed. I called Freedom Scientific, and I was told that the best thing I could do was to uninstall Jaws completely and then reinstall it. It still does not start at logon for me. I believe that Freedom Scientific (VFO) is too busy trying to repair and update the bigger problems, and the smaller stuff never gets addressed. It’s the typical result of becoming a corporate entity. The stock holders are the most important people to please.

Michael

Running Widows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81) with Jaws 16 thru J2018 latest.  Whenever I want to eject / remove an external harddrive I click on the system tray icon, choose the device, and press enter on it, but Jaws doesn't report the following:

Safe To Remove Hardware: The ’USB Mass Storage Device’ device can now be safely removed from the computer.

Can anyone tell me how to get Jaws to report the message above?  Or, what setting is supposed to be activated to make Jaws report the message above?  All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

If it is identified as a USB or removeable drive in File Explorer, then it can be ejected via the Context menu. If it is identified as a local drive in File Explorer, then it must be removed via the Safely Remove Hardware and Media feature in the system tray.

Michael

You can't eject hard drives and I have many flash drives that can't be ejected either.  One of the terms used is incorrect.  but the procedure described is for using safely remove hardware so the procedure is correct.

External hard drives can't be ejected like cards or USB drives.

Tell me, is Widows 10 better than the Nuptual version?   Wouldn't
Widows be more apt to give the blue screen of death?  <smiling>  Yes, I
know I'm bad, very bad!

Ann P.

> Running Widows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81) with Jaws 16
> thru J2018 latest. Whenever I want to eject / remove an external
> harddrive I click on the system tray icon, choose the device, and press
> enter on it, but Jaws doesn't report the following:

> Safe To Remove Hardware: The ’USB Mass Storage Device’ device can now
> be safely removed from the computer.
> Can anyone tell me how to get Jaws to report the message above? Or,
> what setting is supposed to be activated to make Jaws report the
> message above? All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks mooy moocho.
> Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
> Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In
> the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Smiling?

Windows Explorer Show icon and notifications Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media is the option that you are interested in.

You can also just use your Windows key and type in

Icons and for my machine, one of the options that comes up will be

Notification Area Icons, hit enter on that and tab through seeing all what you do want and do not want showing up on your system tray. You can also Shift+Tab 5 or so times to get to something like show all of the Icons all of the time and check it then tab to OK if this is what you are after.

I understand you are using 10, but it truly wouldn’t be all that different and I’m sure you’ll be able to figure it out.

Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2018 2:49 PM

Hi all,

External hard drives can't be ejected like cards or USB drives.

Tell me, is Widows 10 better than the Nuptual version?   Wouldn't
Widows be more apt to give the blue screen of death?  <smiling>  Yes, I
know I'm bad, very bad!

Ann P.

> Running Widows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81) with Jaws 16
> thru J2018 latest. Whenever I want to eject / remove an external
> harddrive I click on the system tray icon, choose the device, and press
> enter on it, but Jaws doesn't report the following:

> Safe To Remove Hardware: The ’USB Mass Storage Device’ device can now
> be safely removed from the computer.
> Can anyone tell me how to get Jaws to report the message above? Or,
> what setting is supposed to be activated to make Jaws report the
> message above? All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks mooy moocho.
> Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
> Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In
> the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Smiling,

I guess you didn't quite understand my original post.  It's not the icon in Widows 10 showing in the system tray that I was having a problem with, but the message Jaws is supposed to speak after pressing on the Safely Remove icon, selecting a drive to disconnect, and hearing the it's safe to disconnect message Jaws used to report.  I have since posted a fix for Widows 10 Pro users, which I'll put the steps here as well:

If the confirmation message appears on the screen but JAWS is not saying it, perhaps it's helpful to know that in Windows 10 balloons was replaced with toasts, which like notifications in the Action Center are handled by the ShellExperienceHost process, too unstable like most UWP apps and areas, unfortunately increasing.
JAWS 17 and newer have a verbosity setting concerning Windows 10 notifications, but it is not as accurate as balloon reading, which was being developed since Windows XP.
If you have Windows 10 Pro, there's a group policy which allows to use balloons instead of new toast notifications.  Try the steps below:

1. Press WINDOWS+R, type the following and then press ENTER:

gpedit.msc

2. In the Tree view arrow down to, User Configuration, right arrow to open, down arrow to, Administrative Templates, right arrow to open, down arrow to, Start Menu and Taskbar.
3. When you reach Start Menu and Taskbar, tab to the list view.  In the list view, find the following policy:

 Disable showing balloon notifications as toasts

4. Press ENTER to open the properties of this policy, tab to the group of radio buttons and change from, Not Configured, to, Enabled, tab to, Okay, and press enter.
5. When finished, restart the computer for this change to take effect.

By the way, File Explorer and other system and third-party apps which previously shown balloons will do that exactly as in prior Windows versions, including JAWS ability to simulate a left mouse click.

Hope it helps!
Fernando
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.