Is there any way to completely turnoff my laptop’s display in Windows like Android or I Devices

Sachin

Hello everyone, the subject line says it all. I am concerned about this because of some privacy issues.

thanks in advance

Kimsan

What laptop/brand you have?
The fn key with one of the function keys might do this, however, I would hate for you to fn and press a function key and not knowing what will occur, as your machine might blow up.
On my Lenovo laptop, it's fn f9 to turn off the display. Not saying yours is the same, so I recommend consulting the manual for your laptop.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sachin
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 9:35 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Is there any way to completely turnoff my laptop’s display in Windows like Android or I Devices

Hello everyone, the subject line says it all. I am concerned about this because of some privacy issues.

thanks in advance

Matt

I think so in settings some where you setup it as using a remote screen it seems like to me.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sachin
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 12:35 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Is there any way to completely turnoff my laptop’s display in Windows like Android or I Devices

thanks in advance

Sachin

Hi Kimsan, first of all, I have an HP notebook. I doubt this method would turnoff display, however it would turn back on, when I start using the notebook. correct me if I am wrong. I want to do it like the screen

Curtain on I phone. I do appreciate any tips on this matter & I wouldn't mind testing & experimenting, since I have Toolwiz Time Freeze installed.

On 10/06/2016 10:29 PM, Kimsan wrote:
The fn key with one of the function keys might do this, however, I would hate for you to fn and press a function key and not knowing what will occur, as your machine might blow up.
On my Lenovo laptop, it's fn f9 to turn off the display. Not saying yours is the same, so I recommend consulting the manual for your laptop.

thanks in advance

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

Download the user manual for your computer.

Search for the word fn or the word function keys. The manual should contain a list of actions of your FN+Function keys.

Once you determine which function key command disables your screen, use that command.

Use an app on your iPhone such as Light Detector, or be my eyes then restart your computer.

If your laptop screen was successfully disabled by the FN+Function key command, then the reboot should confirm that indeed the monitor backlight has been disabled since nothing will show during the boot process or after your computer has completely started.

I did this on a Lenovo laptop with FN function to turn off backlight, and this definitely turned off the monitor saving me lots of battery life and giving me good privacy. This works to turn off the screen just like on an iOS device.

JR

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 7:22 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is there any way to completely turnoff my laptop’s display in Windows like Android or I Devices

Hi Kimsan, first of all, I have an HP notebook. I doubt this method would turnoff display, however it would turn back on, when I start using the notebook. correct me if I am wrong. I want to do it like the screen

Curtain on I phone. I do appreciate any tips on this matter & I wouldn't mind testing & experimenting, since I have Toolwiz Time Freeze installed.

thanks in advance

Carlos

There may be some third-party utilities which can do this, but short of Fn key shortcuts on laptops or completely disabling the display in Device Manager, there is no way that is built-in to Windows.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is there any way to completely turnoff my laptop’s display in Windows like Android or I Devices

thanks in advance

Sachin

hello, could you pleas explain it a bit more?

On 11/06/2016 5:51 AM, Matt wrote:
I think so in settings some where you setup it as using a remote screen it seems like to me.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 12:35 PM

thanks in advance

Sachin

Hi Carlos, do you have any experience with any of those third-party utility. I am really concerned about this issue

On 11/06/2016 8:05 AM, Carlos wrote:
There may be some third-party utilities which can do this, but short of Fn key shortcuts on laptops or completely disabling the display in Device Manager, there is no way that is built-in to Windows.

thanks in advance

Carlos

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 11:06 PM

Hi Carlos, do you have any experience with any of those third-party utility. I am really concerned about this issue

thanks in advance

Carlos

thanks in advance

I think the person wants to turn off the monitor and continue using his/her computer. This tool and the previous will turn off the monitor, but once a key is pressed, the monitor will probably turn back on. These two tips are more of a sleep mode for the monitor rather than a way of permanently turning off monitor.

Again, try the solution I suggested and hopefully your laptop user manual will contain information as to how to permanently turn off backlight of your computer.

JR

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 8:27 PM

Or this utility.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Launchers-Shutdown-Tools/Turn-Off-Monitor-Factormystic.shtml

To: <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> main@TechTalk.groups.io

thanks in advance

Carlos

It should be possible to create a shortcut/hotkey which would disable the
display and still allow you to continue using the computer with the DEVCON
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php
utility, but the command would be machine specific since it uses hardware
IDs to disable devices.

To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is there any way to completely turnoff my laptop’s
display in Windows like Android or I Devices

I think the person wants to turn off the monitor and continue using his/her
computer. This tool and the previous will turn off the monitor, but once a
key is pressed, the monitor will probably turn back on. These two tips are
more of a sleep mode for the monitor rather than a way of permanently
turning off monitor.

Again, try the solution I suggested and hopefully your laptop user manual
will contain information as to how to permanently turn off backlight of your
computer.

JR

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Carlos

Or this utility.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Launchers-Shutdown-Tools/Turn-Off-Monitor-Factormystic.shtml

Hi Carlos, do you have any experience with any of those third-party utility.
I am really concerned about this issue

There may be some third-party utilities which can do this, but short of Fn
key shortcuts on laptops or completely disabling the display in Device
Manager, there is no way that is built-in to Windows.

Hi Kimsan, first of all, I have an HP notebook. I doubt this method would
turnoff display, however it would turn back on, when I start using the
notebook. correct me if I am wrong. I want to do it like the screen

Curtain on I phone. I do appreciate any tips on this matter & I wouldn't
mind testing & experimenting, since I have Toolwiz Time Freeze installed.

The fn key with one of the function keys might do this, however, I would
hate for you to fn and press a function key and not knowing what will occur,
as your machine might blow up.
On my Lenovo laptop, it's fn f9 to turn off the display. Not saying yours is
the same, so I recommend consulting the manual for your laptop.

Sachin
Subject: [TechTalk] Is there any way to completely turnoff my laptop’s

Hello everyone, the subject line says it all. I am concerned about this
because of some privacy issues.

thanks in advance

That DEVCON resource looks really cool.

I suggest try path of least resistance first and give the backlight suggestion a read, and if it does nothing for you, then try the more involved suggestions.

JR

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 8:41 PM

It should be possible to create a shortcut/hotkey which would disable the display and still allow you to continue using the computer with the DEVCON http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php
utility, but the command would be machine specific since it uses hardware IDs to disable devices.

I think the person wants to turn off the monitor and continue using his/her computer. This tool and the previous will turn off the monitor, but once a key is pressed, the monitor will probably turn back on. These two tips are more of a sleep mode for the monitor rather than a way of permanently turning off monitor.

Again, try the solution I suggested and hopefully your laptop user manual will contain information as to how to permanently turn off backlight of your computer.

JR

Or this utility.

thanks in advance

Dennis Long <dennisl1982@...>

Please let us know what works for you.

thanks in advance

Carlos

Yes, most laptops should have an Fn shortcut for this which is certainly
easier. Of course, if you want to do this on a desktop, you may have to
look into more convoluted methods like DEVCON.

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 11:48 PM

I suggest try path of least resistance first and give the backlight
suggestion a read, and if it does nothing for you, then try the more
involved suggestions.

JR

Carlos

IDs to disable devices.

I think the person wants to turn off the monitor and continue using his/her
computer. This tool and the previous will turn off the monitor, but once a
key is pressed, the monitor will probably turn back on. These two tips are
more of a sleep mode for the monitor rather than a way of permanently
turning off monitor.

will contain information as to how to permanently turn off backlight of your
computer.

JR

Carlos

Or this utility.

hate for you to fn and press a function key and not knowing what will occur,
as your machine might blow up.
On my Lenovo laptop, it's fn f9 to turn off the display. Not saying yours is
the same, so I recommend consulting the manual for your laptop.

Sachin

thanks in advance

Don't forget you can also turn the screen brightness all the way down to 0%. Some of the screen content might still show, but anyone viewing from a distance, an angle, or in daylight might have a tough time seeing what is on your screen.

JR

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis L
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 8:49 PM

Please let us know what works for you.

thanks in advance

Kimsan

Hmm, interesting relating to it turning back on. From what I can tell, when I do the fn f9 key to turn off the display and when I reboot, the display is still off, but it might differ from what I have vs what you have.

Others have given excellent alternatives and I hope one of them will assist you.  Funny story on why I started turning off my display.

after 3 months on the job 9 years ago, I was playing a video game on my computer while teaching, and my boss walked in with all of these super attendance folk, but I didn’t see her, and she says “Hello Mr. Song how are you doing? What are you doing?” I figured, shit, busted so why try to lie. “Um, I’m playing a game…” ever

Since then I just turn off my display and 9 years later, I’m good. lol

thanks in advance

Wow, busted! <Smile>.

You should have set up a boss key.

JR

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kimsan
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 8:54 PM

Hmm, interesting relating to it turning back on. From what I can tell, when I do the fn f9 key to turn off the display and when I reboot, the display is still off, but it might differ from what I have vs what you have.

Others have given excellent alternatives and I hope one of them will assist you. Funny story on why I started turning off my display.

after 3 months on the job 9 years ago, I was playing a video game on my computer while teaching, and my boss walked in with all of these super attendance folk, but I didn’t see her, and she says “Hello Mr. Song how are you doing? What are you doing?” I figured, shit, busted so why try to lie. “Um, I’m playing a game…” ever

Since then I just turn off my display and 9 years later, I’m good. lol

thanks in advance

Carlos

Sigh. I just posted this one the other day and forgot about it. You can
try pressing WindowsKey+P and then select
"Projector Only".
When you want to turn it back on, press WindowsKey+P again and select
"Computer Only".

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 11:51 PM

Yes, most laptops should have an Fn shortcut for this which is certainly
easier. Of course, if you want to do this on a desktop, you may have to
look into more convoluted methods like DEVCON.

involved suggestions.

JR

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Carlos

IDs to disable devices.

I think the person wants to turn off the monitor and continue using
his/her computer. This tool and the previous will turn off the monitor,
but once a key is pressed, the monitor will probably turn back on. These
two tips are more of a sleep mode for the monitor rather than a way of
permanently turning off monitor.

will contain information as to how to permanently turn off backlight of
your computer.

JR

Of Carlos

Or this utility.

Hi Carlos, do you have any experience with any of those third-party
utility.

hate for you to fn and press a function key and not knowing what will
occur, as your machine might blow up.
On my Lenovo laptop, it's fn f9 to turn off the display. Not saying yours
is the same, so I recommend consulting the manual for your laptop.

Of Sachin

thanks in advance

Will this stick after a restart of computer?

JR

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 9:11 PM

Sigh. I just posted this one the other day and forgot about it. You can try pressing WindowsKey+P and then select "Projector Only".
When you want to turn it back on, press WindowsKey+P again and select "Computer Only".
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 11:51 PM

Yes, most laptops should have an Fn shortcut for this which is
certainly easier. Of course, if you want to do this on a desktop, you
may have to look into more convoluted methods like DEVCON.
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Is there any way to completely turnoff my
laptop’s display in Windows like Android or I Devices

involved suggestions.

JR

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Carlos

It should be possible to create a shortcut/hotkey which would disable
the display and still allow you to continue using the computer with
the DEVCON http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php
utility, but the command would be machine specific since it uses
hardware IDs to disable devices.

I think the person wants to turn off the monitor and continue using
his/her computer. This tool and the previous will turn off the
monitor, but once a key is pressed, the monitor will probably turn
back on. These two tips are more of a sleep mode for the monitor
rather than a way of permanently turning off monitor.

Again, try the solution I suggested and hopefully your laptop user
manual will contain information as to how to permanently turn off
backlight of your computer.

JR

Behalf Of Carlos

Or this utility.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Launchers-Shutdown-Tools/Turn-Off-
Monitor-Factormystic.shtml

Hi Carlos, do you have any experience with any of those third-party
utility.

There may be some third-party utilities which can do this, but short
of Fn key shortcuts on laptops or completely disabling the display in
Device Manager, there is no way that is built-in to Windows.

Hi Kimsan, first of all, I have an HP notebook. I doubt this method
would turnoff display, however it would turn back on, when I start
using the notebook. correct me if I am wrong. I want to do it like the
screen

Curtain on I phone. I do appreciate any tips on this matter & I
wouldn't mind testing & experimenting, since I have Toolwiz Time Freeze installed.

The fn key with one of the function keys might do this, however, I
would hate for you to fn and press a function key and not knowing what
will occur, as your machine might blow up.
On my Lenovo laptop, it's fn f9 to turn off the display. Not saying
yours is the same, so I recommend consulting the manual for your laptop.

Behalf Of Sachin

Hello everyone, the subject line says it all. I am concerned about
this because of some privacy issues.

thanks in advance