Blind bargains podcast#65(Blind guy who was denied service)

Matt

Well on the blind guy that was refused service for coming thru the drive thru. This is wrong as there should be an exception in the policy! It is just that plain and simple for a Blind or visual person.  Also what happen to the manager or supervisor that night! Anyone with plain common sense would have made an exception in this manner! As JJ has said this reaches much farther than just fast food drive thru! There needs to be acception for these cases. Also I don’t know if their policy has not broken the ADA law on this . Shouldn’t the drive through be accessible as well?  They could also took his order and brought it outside to him. As well. I just see where there could have been just a little thought put in this just by the manager or supervisor at that time and would have prevented all this! So his only recourse is to sue! Not only for access and on the grounds of discrimination but hit them where it hurts and that is in the pocket book. I hope that 3 to 6 buck meal they did not sell him now cost them a million bucks . If this happen I bet they would change their policy and give training to all the staff! It is sad that we have to take this rout when a little common sense and caring for your fellow person would have went a long way! I really think he will have no problem winning this at all! JMO!

BTW: I normally a conservative that is in the middle that leans to the right on social issues but I have to lean a little more to the left on this!

Blind Bargains podcast #65 (the blind guy who was denied service)

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.blindbargains.com/audio/bbq065.mp3

Matt From Florida

Matt.from.florida@...

Gerald Levy

Well, maybe this blind guy who was refused service at the McDonald’s drive-through window should hire the same lawyer who successfully sued them for millions on behalf of a client who claimed that he was seriously injured when a scalding cup of coffee spilled on his lap.  To be perfectly blunt, companies discriminate against the disabled every day and get away with it.  You could make a strong argument that Uber discriminates against disabled people who, for whatever reason, cannot use a smart phone to book a ride with them.  I know a guy who is thinking of suing Uber because dexterity problems prevent him from using a smart phone, and so he believes that in order to comply with the ADA, Uber must provide an alternate means of booking rides using a conventional land line or basic cell phone.  Does he have a case?  Maybe. After all, everyone and his uncle seems to be suing Uber thesedays over something or other.

Gerald

[...]

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

The ADA clearly specifies "reasonable accommodations." The key word being reasonable.

Should Target or Uber or this business create alternative apps or business models for quadriplegics? for those in a coma, or for schizophrenics?

The McDonald's burn injury was a female, and in the end she did not receive millions.

Gerald, you're a conspiracy theorists and you take situations and take them to their insane extremes. If there are so many conspiracies against you, why not dump all this technology and dump any interaction with businesses and governments. Stop subjecting yourself to such horrible treatment by society.

JR

[...]

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

Based on the description of the incident, this man suing McDonald's is an
idiot. The case is presented as this was the man's only choice for
nourishment. Defendants need only show pictures of the nearby walk-up
restaurants and case closed. ...This case will immediately be bounced out of
court.

Unless one reads the associated depositions, no one really knows the details
of these types of incidents, so any response will be an uninformed response
and a response based on emotion rather than reason--just like my response.
:)

Blind man claims McDonald's drive-thru is discriminatory, files lawsuit |
Fox News -
https://is.gd/nEL8bP

JR

[...]

Here's a little more information which presents a glimpse as to what this
guy and his brother might be about:

Last year, Magee's brother Emmett, who is also represented by Beumont
Costales, sued Coca-Cola in Louisiana arguing that all machines should be
accessible
to the blind. The case was dismissed in a trial court but is currently being
appealed.

JR

[...]

Gene

I haven't listened to the podcast, though I probably will sometime today.  I don't know what country this occurred in but laws such as the ADA are not premised on choices that are accessible from other businesses.  They are, or should be, premised on discrimination per se and whether solving the discrimination presents an undue hard ship.  If the man's claim is based on the no other choice theory, then, as you say, it will fail.  If it is based on discrimination per se, it may succeed.  It doesn't matter if ten companies in the area interview me for a job.  If company 11 refuses to do so on discriminatory grounds, it may be sued.

[...]

Again, this is not a solution which will be found on a computer list serve
with comments from those who have no formal training in the law. We're
wasting our time when we flood lists with our uneducated legal opinions.

JR

[...]

No it will not as it don't matter about if it was the only place or not that
is not the deal! It is not whether it is the only place it is the denied
service because his handicap did not allow him to drive a car! What is next
your 24 hour pharmacy is going to deny you service because it is late at
night and you come thru the drive thru to get your meds as the pharmacy is
not open only the drive thru so you don't get your meds because you are not
in a car because your handicap will not allow this! No he is not stupid. He
is doing what should be done and that is fight this not just for his self
but on behalf of all blind or handicap people from being denied service
because of their handicap! This is what it is about the denying of service
because you have a handicap and are unable to drive thru and the lobby is
closed! I suggest why did not take his order and bring it out to him! It is
not about if it is the only place to eat it is much more than that! If you
cannot see that then you cannot see pass your nose.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

Yes and reasonable accommodation would allow an exception for late night when the lobby of the place is closed and there is a blind man with no way to drive a car come thru the drive thru to take his order and give it to him! It is not like this was a huge inconvenience to them or would cost them a huge amount of money! I personally know as since my last 14 years I was a 5O8 tester for the Florida legislature.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

I agree they should be all vending machine! I think it is much more
important that the vending machine be accessible to me than a TV is!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

Well, Matt, for the blind, I contend that the ADA has little value!  Over the years, the Supreme Court has watered it down so bad so much so that it's almost impossible to "FIGHT" anything using ADA rules and regulations.  Even government violates the ADA with impunity; my state government is a classic example.

Look at our dollar bill; ACB won a landmark case which stipulates that blind folks should be able to identify the dollar bill without the use of an extra talking gadget.  Well, has our government done much to implement the courts' orders?  All it is doing is handing out to me the very talking gadget I don't want to use.  Imagine me trying to give change to a customer at my store and I am pulling out several $20 bills and reading them one at a time at the cash register.  I risk being robbed especially since I have to keep my cash register drawer opened for a prolonged time frame.

Sincerely,

Olusegun

Denver, Colorado

Virus-free

Matt

Yes I totally agree with the money. The US is the only country I know of that the  money is not accessible . That is paper money! But I guess they could say it is un reasonable as the cost to make it accessible is a lot of money! But they waste enough to more than pay for this!

[...]

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

Why was he going to a drive-up window on foot? Isn't that dangerous?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Matt

No more dangerous then crossing the road! No more dangerous than getting off
the bus or any of the other million things we do as a blind person!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

Why was he going to a drive-up window on foot? Isn't that dangerous?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

lance allison

It was late at night an the drive threw was all that was open an he didn't want to take a cab so he walked

Sent from TypeApp

On Jun 12, 2016, at 6:59 PM, Ann Parsons <akp@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Why was he going to a drive-up window on foot? Isn't that dangerous?

Ann P.

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

There are laws as to when blind or sighted people cross the roads. There are
laws and norms as to how and time of day blind or sighted people use a bus.
You cannot simply make up laws because you personally feel you have a god
given right as a blind person to make up laws as you will. Laws partially
exists for "everyone's" safety and not just because a single person feels
laws should or shouldn't apply to him or her.

I think I just violated my own law, so I will discontinue posting. <Smile>.

JR

No more dangerous then crossing the road! No more dangerous than getting off
the bus or any of the other million things we do as a blind person!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

Why was he going to a drive-up window on foot? Isn't that dangerous?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

lance allison

Whos making up laws

Sent from TypeApp

On Jun 12, 2016, at 7:26 PM, Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...> wrote:
[...]

No there is not a restriction on a time of day when a blind person can cross
the road or ride the bus! What kind of dictator ship country you live I! We
have the same right as anyone else it don't matter we are blind! Now there
is laws on where you cross the road but that does not apply just to blind
people. It is called J walking and this is for everyone. So us poor blind
people let's not let them do anything at ! It is dangerous for them. let's
take the knives away they don't need them to eat with it is dangerous for
them, let's take them forks away as it dangerous to them and other people
they might stick their self with it or someone! Let's take them spoons away
as they might slide down our neck and kill us. Let's don't let them bathe
their self as they might get the water too hot. Let's don't let them use
the microwave as they might blow something up in it. the list goes on and
on! Now my examples are to the extreme but the idea is the same!
You are not coming nowhere near the argument on why he should be denied
service thru the drive thru because he was not in a motor driven vehicle .
So it would be ok to serve the cripple man in the electric wheel chair that
came thru the drive thru as he is driving a motorize vehicle so his handicap
is ok but my handicap is not?! Tell me what is right or even correct about
this?!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

No more dangerous then crossing the road! No more dangerous than getting off
the bus or any of the other million things we do as a blind person!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

Why was he going to a drive-up window on foot? Isn't that dangerous?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Matt

Yes it sounds like he is making laws specific against blind people doing things.

web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info