IPhone Inquiry

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Well, I am taking the plunge and getting training in use of the IPhone. So far it's going reasonably well. I'm learning basic navigation and how to work using voice commands with Siri.

I have one question. Has anyone figured out how to enter contacts into yhour e-mail client or phone numbers into your contacts list in an easier method than the problematic keyboard that appears when you get past the add contact icon?

The person instructing is not an absolute expert in instruction in use of the IPhone for the visually impaired, and she does not have the latest software updates. Maybe there's an AP that helps with this?

If I am able to figure out a relatively easy way of adding contacts as well as favorites for browsing, I will probably be a decent user of the IPhone.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Use dictation. It works everywhere providing you have an active internet connection. The only place it doesn’t work, for good reasons I must say, is in passwords.

On 16 Jun 2016, at 19:07, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com> wrote:

[...]

Matt

Have no problem in adding contact to my device which is the iPhone5 SE. just open contacts and click add and fill out the fields. Then go back up to the top and save your work or update it or click done whatever the button is. What is it you are specific having problems with?

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

You will likely lose your mind with aggravation if you are planning on entering contacts using the default onscreen touch keyboard. I'm sure there are some out there who have the patience for such a procedure, but if productivity is your goal, you're better off using MBraille or an external keyboard for entering contacts. Personally, I simply sync contacts into my iPhone using iTunes and Outlook.

JR

[...]

heather albright

Hook your phone up to the pc and make sure you have iclud back up turned off on the phone.  Than you can sink your contacts with the contacts folder off windows using itunes.  That is assuming that you input all the contact info for your windows contacts folder.  The e-mail information, you have to put in and as long as you store it in the icloud, you will not have to redo it again unless something drastic happens with the device.  I thought apple did this for you when you get your first apple device! At least they did in the past, you have to bring in your pc laptop to the store and they show you how to connect to itunes. But, that could just because I lived in Austin and the apple store was super great. Heather

[...]

Hmm iTunes is a night mare! That would be my last resort. I would use a BT keyboard and do it from there right on to the iPhone or I would get the iCloud control panel for windows and install it on my computer and turn on ICloud contacts and then they will be sync from the computer to your phone and you can add them from your email client or edit them or whatever. If you don't want to fool around with iCloud control panel just use a BT keyboard to your iPhone. They make some very small BT keyboard for the iPhone that works very well especially for these kind of small task. Also what typing mode are you using? Standard, touch or direct ?

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

Probably that is just one more reason I asked my husband to take the iPhone and got a feature phone.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
I'll answer as points.
1) The keyboard is the easiest. 2) Have you tried all typing styles, to see whether you like either? 3) If you want a skype support or something, I consider myself to be a good enough user, should you wish to go that root.g

Sent from my iPhone 5S

On 16 Jun 2016, at 7:07 pm, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com> wrote:

[...]

didn't want to be mean, but, imagining dictating details of contacts, just remind me of having to edit. Guys, trust me, becoming the besq friend of the keyboard, will pay off. You could also try braille screen input, rather than third party apps. Bluetooth keyboard, the options are almost limitless.,

Sent from my iPhone 5S

On 16 Jun 2016, at 7:24 pm, Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Hi Chris,

So you must be connected to the Internet. I am not sure if the person
teaching me is actually connected. She has the phone in a network to
make outgoing calls. I would think you could connect to the Internet in
that mode. She insists she hasn't been able to get the dictation to
work using that button next to the space bar in edit fields. She does
not have the latest IPhone 6 software. Is the latest software necessary
for this feature?

On 6/16/2016 2:21 PM, Christopher Hallsworth wrote:
[...]

Hi Matt,

I am having trouble using the keyboard that appears for entering the phone number and/or e-mail address. Chris says you can use the dictation feature to do this. He says it works in all edit fields except the password field. Is this your experience? This teacher of mine does have an IPhone 6, but does not have the latest software. Is this feature available in older software for the 6 model or is it necessary to have the latest software update for model 6?

On 6/16/2016 2:21 PM, Matt wrote:
[...]

iTunes is very easy to use via keyboard if one takes the time to learn it. It is a bit confusing at times to get a sense of the structure since it is obviously developed with fully sighted mouse-centric people in mind. For this task of importing contacts into your iOS device, iTunes is the quickest, least frustrating method. Like I stated in my original message, using a Bluetooth keyboard is probably the best path to take for a new iOS user.

JR

[...]

Be very careful you do not ask someone to help you who is not a
detail-oriented person as this process requires one knows what will happen
as the end result is that all your contacts can end up deleted from your
iPhone and or Outlook/computer. First backup your contacts on your iOS
device then backup your contacts on your computer before you begin
experimenting.

JR

[...]

The options are not limitless, you and others have described the 4 main
methods of accomplishing this task: dictation, braille keyboard entry,
external Bluetooth keyboard entry, and using on-screen keyboard.

JR

[...]

HelloWell, I'm sorry, but typing in contacts manually, or, typing on the screen keyboard as practise, will hardly result in anything getting deleted. Misunderstanding my message is one thing, however, this is another.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

On 16 Jun 2016, at 11:05 pm, Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

More like dictation, braille screen input, other third party both braille and querty keyboards, bluetooth keyboards, note takers or braille displays connected to be used as a keyboard, direct touch, standard typing, touch typing...

Sent from my iPhone 5S

On 16 Jun 2016, at 11:08 pm, Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Ron, Yes, you can use dictation, and I left it out as a possible solution because it is prone to errors. You can try it, but I think for something as detailed as people's names, street addresses and such, you're going to end up with lots of misspellings and therefore lots of editing, and for a new user, this is no fun.

For practice executing this procedure:

On the home screen take 3 fingers and swipe down: this opens Spotlight search.

At the very top of the screen there will be an edit field, double-tap on this edit field to place focus in it.

Take two fingers and double-tap on the screen to turn on dictation, you will hear a quick double tone, so now speak a name or phrase.

When the phone has finished processing the name or phrase you spoke, you will hear another tone.

Now go back to the top of the screen and review what has been entered. You will find there might be some errors in that edit field which you will either have to delete and enter again, or you will have to manually edit the information in the edit field.

To clear the field simply swipe to the "Clear" button and double-tap.

To close the Spotlight search simply press and release the Home button once.

JR

On 6/16/2016 2:21 PM, Matt wrote:
[...]

I didn't misunderstand your message, it was clear. I also never stated
anything about information getting deleted when using onscreen keyboard, I
stated it was tedious.

JR

[...]

I don't know if you understand how this works, but most of what you
suggested below is much the same form of onscreen input just variations of.
The only reason I'm clarifying is that new users like Ron may end up
confused reading your posts.

JR

[...]

Well the easiest way is to get him a small portable BT keyboard to carry
around with him. Which a BT keyboard will make inputting data much easier.
Of course if he is at home and have a full size BT keyboard then he can pare
that to his iPhone and use it. I personally don't have problem using the on
screen keyboard for small text of data input and if I going to do a lot of
typing then yes I use a BT keyboard pared to my IOS device.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com