Topics

Jaws accessible VOIP service/desktop client

Cristóbal

Hello list,

I’m in search  of an accessible VOIP desktop client with Jaws as it is the screen reader I’m using.

I’m currently using Skype and a Skype telephone number. My subscription comes due in a few weeks and before I renew for another  year, I wanted to see if there was perhaps another option out there that is equal to or more accessible than skype. I know there’s Vonage and I guess MagicJack and grasshopper, but I’m also looking for something that I can use to take and receive calls on a computer with all the regular functions like call waiting, forwarding, voicemail, etc.

I’m a big time Google Voice user, but the one drawback is that there’s no real way to easily answer/make calls from the computer  with GV/Hangouts  and Jaws. I currently have my GV business line forward to my Skype number where I can then manage incoming/outgoing  calls.

Free or Paid is fine. I’m just looking for something that is reliable and accessible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt

Hi I use ViAtalk that was recommended by Mystic access podcast. They have a couple more they recommend as well. So if you go to their site and look thru the podcast you will find some podcast on them. Also they have tutorial on them as well you can buy! I have had ViAtalk for about 6 months now and really like it! It is very accessible and the customer service is really great!

[...]

Joe

I use PhonePower in conjunction with an ObiHai adapter. It’s possible to use the VOIP creds on an iOS app like Groundwire. Now, I know you were specifically asking about a desktop client, and unless I’m mistaken, I believe it’s possible to make calls and such from their web interface. You’d have to look into that specific feature though. Anyway, I’m only paying $40 annually for the setup and might be worth looking into. I hope that helps?

Joe

--

Musings of a Work in Progress:

www.JoeOrozco.com/

[...]

Dennis L

Viatalk is extremely accessible and there customer service is very very
good.

[...]

Chris G <jedikent@...>

Hi,
Expresstalk from nch is accessible.
The issue I had with it was the lag. I couldn't ever get it to work acceptably, the lag was quite bad.
The product is very accessible though.
Tried it with two voip services.

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
http://www.MysticAccess.com

Check out our eclectic and comprehensive assistive technology podcasts at:
http://www.MysticAccessPodcast.com

Contact:

Phone: (716) 543-3323
Direct Line: (716) 670-1221
Facebook: mysticaccessempower
Twitter: MysticAccess
733 Delaware Rd 341
Buffalo, NY 14223

[...]

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

HI Chris,

So which accessible VoIP service do you suggest one look into?

JR

[...]

If you want accessible voip services and not accessible softphones, Viatalk from www.viatalk.com and Voipo from www.voipo.com are very accessible.

If you go to:
cp.viatalk.com and use demo for the user id and demo for the password you can check out the back end for yourself. I don't think Voipo has this feature.
Phonepower.com is also one that was accessible from my testing about a year or so ago.

[...]

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this subject and thanks for
providing links. I really appreciate it. :)

JR

[...]

For those interested, Voipo also has an accessible PBX. The PBX is $20/month.

[...]

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

Hello, Callcentric is one of the most recommended voip services.

[...]

You stated CallCentric is "most recommended," but I'm also looking for
accessible. Have you used this service with jaws 16 and up and found it very
accessible?

JR

[...]

I guess the other part of my question is aside from services that offer
phone service, is if any of these companies or if there's a separate third
party solution that offers a desktop program capable of making and receiving
calls directly from the PC. Not from the actual Internet browser like
hangouts for example.

[...]

Sorry, I'm using an older version of jaws so I can't comment on versions
above jfw13.

[...]

Ok then, with the version of JAWS you're using, was it very accessible?

JR

[...]

Yes I have ViAtalk and really like it and their customer service.

Matt.from.florida@...

[...]

Well if you want to do it from the PC then a modem and using outlook is all
you need!

Matt.from.florida@...