Which is the better product; Google Home or Amazon Echo?

Walter Ramage

Hi folks.  It hasn’t interested me in the past but I’m toying with the idea of purchasing either a Google Home or An Amazon Echo.  The problem is, I don’t know which product is the best, especially in the area of accessibility.  My main use for the product would be radio listening.  I do have a number of DAB radios in the house but their presets are limited and it requires pressing a number of buttons to get the station required.  With either Google or Amazon I can ask for that station to be played.  I guess other skills might be useful but I don’t know all what is available however I’m not interested in having it turn on and off lights since I never use lights since I am total.  I understand that Amazon have a much wider range of products but I’m not really concerned about appearance as it is irrelevant to me.  Also I know some echoes have touch screens but do they have audio feedback?  As I have said, I’m toying with the idea and haven’t made my mind up but when I do and if I decide to make a purchase I’d like to have some idea of what I’m about to spend my money on.  All comments welcome.  Walter.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Bob

Hello:

Since radio is your priority, I would suggest the Amazon Echo.
Have a great day.

Bob

On 6/3/18, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io <wpr=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi folks. It hasn't interested me in the past but I'm toying with the idea
of purchasing either a Google Home or An Amazon Echo. The problem is, I
don't know which product is the best, especially in the area of
accessibility. My main use for the product would be radio listening. I do
have a number of DAB radios in the house but their presets are limited and
it requires pressing a number of buttons to get the station required. With
either Google or Amazon I can ask for that station to be played. I guess
other skills might be useful but I don't know all what is available however
I'm not interested in having it turn on and off lights since I never use
lights since I am total. I understand that Amazon have a much wider range
of products but I'm not really concerned about appearance as it is
irrelevant to me. Also I know some echoes have touch screens but do they
have audio feedback? As I have said, I'm toying with the idea and haven't
made my mind up but when I do and if I decide to make a purchase I'd like
to
have some idea of what I'm about to spend my money on. All comments
welcome. Walter.

--
YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR MOST IMPORTANT PERSONAL ASSET!!!
TAKE THE CHALLENGE AT:
HTTP://BOB-CLARK.COM
Telephone: 800-345-9760

Gene

I don't recall the prices of the products.  If your main interest is, and continues to be radio, then it's a waste of money, in my opinion..  You can get more radio stations using your computer and you can send the signal, using an FM transmitter, to all the radios in your house.  Using an FM transmitter, I don't know if you'll lose any sound qualitty, but you should get good sound. 

But you may decide, on learning more about what these devices do, that you want one for radio as well as other things. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2018 12:45 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Which is the better product; Google Home or Amazon Echo?

Hi folks.  It hasn’t interested me in the past but I’m toying with the idea of purchasing either a Google Home or An Amazon Echo.  The problem is, I don’t know which product is the best, especially in the area of accessibility.  My main use for the product would be radio listening.  I do have a number of DAB radios in the house but their presets are limited and it requires pressing a number of buttons to get the station required.  With either Google or Amazon I can ask for that station to be played.  I guess other skills might be useful but I don’t know all what is available however I’m not interested in having it turn on and off lights since I never use lights since I am total.  I understand that Amazon have a much wider range of products but I’m not really concerned about appearance as it is irrelevant to me.  Also I know some echoes have touch screens but do they have audio feedback?  As I have said, I’m toying with the idea and haven’t made my mind up but when I do and if I decide to make a purchase I’d like to have some idea of what I’m about to spend my money on.  All comments welcome.  Walter.

Richard Brock

Hello Walter,
I recommend the Amazon, Echo. You can purchase an Echo, Dot for $39 thatt will give you all its features for a very reasonable price.
You will ve able to listen to many radio stations, plus have access to thousands of skills that are fun to interact with.
Good luck,
Rich

On 6/3/2018 1:45 PM, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io wrote:
made my mind up but when I do and if I decide to make a purchase I'd like to
welcome. Walter.

Walter Ramage

Hi. Thanks. As much as I would like to listen to local and national radio
stations I wonder if the Echo would be able to find international radio
stations and if so, how is it done. Walter.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Richard Brock
Sent: 03 June 2018 20:32
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Which is the better product; Google Home or Amazon
Echo?

Hello Walter,
I recommend the Amazon, Echo. You can purchase an Echo, Dot for $39
thatt will give you all its features for a very reasonable price.
You will ve able to listen to many radio stations, plus have access to
thousands of skills that are fun to interact with.
Good luck,
Rich

Hi folks. It hasn't interested me in the past but I'm toying with the
idea
accessibility. My main use for the product would be radio listening. I
do
it requires pressing a number of buttons to get the station required.
With
other skills might be useful but I don't know all what is available
however
to
welcome. Walter.

-

The amazon devices use the same internet radio feeds as on a computer. In other ords, if the station has a feed the devices will play them.

The satellite radio services can also be accessed, as can stations worldwide.

They are started by using the call letters of the station usually.

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018, Gene wrote:

I don't recall the prices of the products. If your main interest is, and continues to be radio, then it's a waste of money, in my opinion.. You can get more radio stations using your computer and you can send the signal, using an FM transmitter, to all the radios in your house. Using an FM transmitter, I don't know if you'll lose any sound qualitty, but you should get good sound.

But you may decide, on learning more about what these devices do, that you want one for radio as well as other things.

Gene
To: techtalk@groups.io

Hi folks. It hasn't interested me in the past but I'm toying with the idea of purchasing either a Google Home or An Amazon Echo. The problem is, I don't know which product is the best, especially in the area of accessibility. My main use for the product would be radio listening. I do have a number of DAB radios in the house but their presets are limited and it requires pressing a number of buttons to get the station required. With either Google or Amazon I can ask for that station to be played. I guess other skills might be useful but I don't know all what is available however I'm not interested in having it turn on and off lights since I never use lights since I am total. I understand that Amazon have a much wider range of products but I'm not really concerned about appearance as it is irrelevant to me. Also I know some echoes have touch screens but do they have audio feedback? As I have said, I'm toying with the idea and haven't made my mind up but when I do and if I decide to make a purchase I'd like to have some idea of what I'm about to spend my money on. All comments welcome. Walter.

--
XB

Chris Grabowski <skywalker@...>

Both Echo and Google Home use the Tunein and iHeart services for radio stations.

The easiest way to tune to a station is to speak the call letters.
You can even listen to podcasts through the devices.

Sent: Sunday, Jun 3, 2018 1:58 PM EST

I don't recall the prices of the products.  If your main interest is, and continues to be radio, then it's a waste of money, in my opinion..  You can get more radio stations using your computer and you can send the signal, using an FM transmitter, to all the radios in your house.  Using an FM transmitter, I don't know if you'll lose any sound qualitty, but you should get good sound. 

Gene

-

Yes, international stations can be accessed. Usually any station is started by its call letters or its name.

A local station k d k a is started by that call name. Just using npr anywhere starts the local public radio station nearest to you.

For example using a name; one of the bbc services is called bbc 4 which is a mostly news source, bbc 4 xtra plays radio dramas. There are
several other bbc choices for music and regional services in the uk.

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi. Thanks. As much as I would like to listen to local and national radio

Richard Brock
Echo?

Hello Walter,
Good luck,
Rich

idea
do
With
however
to
welcome. Walter.

--
XB

Gene

Are you saying they both use both services or does one use one and the other use the other?  I never meant to give the impression that you don't have access to a lot of stations, you do.  I'm just saying that if your only or only significant use of such products is to listen to radio, you might as well use a computer, unless you really want the convenience of getting radio by speaking what you want to listen to. 

Not to mention the ability to record audio with a computer.  And with a computer, I can speed up podcasts or something I record and save lots of time.  Books as well. 

Gene

Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 7:11 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Which is the better product; Google Home or Amazon Echo?

Both Echo and Google Home use the Tunein and iHeart services for radio stations.

Gene

-

In addition to radio stations worldwide; there are thousands of podcasts available.

I use it often for weather, doing math, word definition, general info, setting alarms and reminders and timers etc.and many other such features.

made my mind up but when I do and if I decide to make a purchase I'd like to
welcome. Walter.

--
XB

Walter Ramage

Hi.  AS I said, I'm just toying with the idea.  The main motivation is radio and in particular the convenience of radio listening and channel change.  However just like with a smart phone which I was late coming to it tends to have a life of it's own.  All I wanted from the phone was to send texts and make phone calls but by osmosis, features such as GPS, email, OCR etc have been very useful.  As for using a PC to send a FM signal to an FM radio, all of the radios in my home are DAB radios, and in the UK Analogue radio users are now in the minority, things are moving digital.  The Price of an Echo is equal to a good quality DAB radio and in fact the Dab radios I have here were more expensive but are not accessible when it comes to setting up and station selection unless you get sighted help to set it up.  A few years ago the Sonas1 DAB radio was great as it had full speech feedback and all stations were spoken and it was a joy to use but my radio got fried in a lightening strike a few years back and unfortunately the Sonas 1 is no longer available.  I'm not really worried about sound quality reproduction, within reason, because I have a high end hi-fi system with which I am very pleased as far as sound quality is concerned but down stairs while having a meal or in bed, it would be handy to have something that is convenient to use.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 03 June 2018 18:59
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Which is the better product; Google Home or Amazon Echo?

Gene

Walter Ramage

Hi. That is good to know. Last October I traded in my Arcam Solo neo DAB
music system for something different and high-end. The good thing about the
Arcam Solo Neo was it also had internet radio, unfortunately the station
listings were not accessible Via the hi-fi unit but they were via their
website. I think there were well over 1000 internet stations I could choose
from and I could search them via genre i.e. news, sport country music pop
music rock music religious spoken word etc.. I would imagine I'd need to do
a web search for stations in order to instruct the echo, or would the echo
do a search for me? Walter.

-
Sent: 04 June 2018 13:17
To: Walter Ramage via Groups.Io
Cc: main@techtalk.groups.io
Echo?

Yes, international stations can be accessed. Usually any station is started
by its call letters or its name.

A local station k d k a is started by that call name. Just using npr
anywhere starts the local public radio station nearest to you.

For example using a name; one of the bbc services is called bbc 4 which is a
mostly news source, bbc 4 xtra plays radio dramas. There are

Hi. Thanks. As much as I would like to listen to local and national
radio

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf
Of
Richard Brock
Echo?

Hello Walter,
Good luck,
Rich

idea
do
have a number of DAB radios in the house but their presets are limited
and
With
either Google or Amazon I can ask for that station to be played. I
guess
however
lights since I am total. I understand that Amazon have a much wider
range
irrelevant to me. Also I know some echoes have touch screens but do
they
have audio feedback? As I have said, I'm toying with the idea and
haven't
made my mind up but when I do and if I decide to make a purchase I'd
to
welcome. Walter.

--
XB

Laz

As someone who owns both an Echo Dot and a Google Home mini i have to
say that the sound on the Google Home mini is much better than that
from the Echo Dot. In my experience they both can access the same
radio stations and both use Tune-In and I heart Radio. I've also found
that you can find a wider variety of songs on the Google Home mini
than you can on the Echo Dot. both can pair with bluetooth Speakers,
headsets, or Bluetooth receivers so connecting either one to a stereo
isn't difficult.

Laz

On 6/4/18, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io <wpr=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
music system for something different and high-end. The good thing about
the
website. I think there were well over 1000 internet stations I could
choose
music rock music religious spoken word etc.. I would imagine I'd need to
do

-
Echo?

Yes, international stations can be accessed. Usually any station is
started

For example using a name; one of the bbc services is called bbc 4 which is
a

radio

Of
Richard Brock
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Which is the better product; Google Home or
Amazon
Echo?

Hello Walter,
Good luck,
Rich

idea
of purchasing either a Google Home or An Amazon Echo. The problem is,
I
accessibility. My main use for the product would be radio listening.
I
do
and
With
guess
however
I'm not interested in having it turn on and off lights since I never
use
range
they
haven't
to
welcome. Walter.

--
XB

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Players, Accessible phones,
Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr

David Mehler

Hello,

<probably a low-grade question> what is an Echo Dot and a Google Home
Mini? Are they smaller versions of the alexa?

What all do they do and are there any podcasts on the subject?

To those who have one or both devices are there privacy concerns as
there now are with I think it's the Amazon alexa?

Thanks.
Dave.

On 6/4/18, Laz <laz@talkingmp3players.com> wrote:
isn't difficult.

Laz

On 6/4/18, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io <wpr=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
wrote:
Hi. That is good to know. Last October I traded in my Arcam Solo neo
DAB
the
choose
do
a web search for stations in order to instruct the echo, or would the
echo

Of
-
Amazon
Echo?

started

For example using a name; one of the bbc services is called bbc 4 which
is
a

radio

Of
Richard Brock
Amazon
Echo?

Hello Walter,
Good luck,
Rich

idea
I
I
do
and
With
guess
however
use
range
they
haven't
to
welcome. Walter.

--
XB

--

Chris Grabowski <skywalker@...>

Both echo and google home use TuneIn and iHeart.  IE they both use those services.

Sent: Monday, Jun 4, 2018 8:34 AM EST

Are you saying they both use both services or does one use one and the other use the other?  I never meant to give the impression that you don't have access to a lot of stations, you do.  I'm just saying that if your only or only significant use of such products is to listen to radio, you might as well use a computer, unless you really want the convenience of getting radio by speaking what you want to listen to. 

Not to mention the ability to record audio with a computer.  And with a computer, I can speed up podcasts or something I record and save lots of time.  Books as well. 

Gene
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 7:11 AM

Gene

Janet

HI Laz,
Thank you for this. Are you saying I could connect an Echo Dot with my 10 year old Bose stereo?
Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laz
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 1:21 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

isn't difficult.

Laz

On 6/4/18, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io <wpr=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
the
choose
do

-
Echo?

started

For example using a name; one of the bbc services is called bbc 4 which is
a

radio

Of
Richard Brock
Amazon
Echo?

Hello Walter,
Good luck,
Rich

idea
I
I
do
and
With
guess
however
use
range
they
haven't
to
welcome. Walter.

--
XB

--

Laz

The Echo Dot is the smaller sibling of the Echo and about the size of
a tuna can. The Google Home mini is a tad larger and is the smaller
sibling of the Google Home.

Laz

On 6/4/18, David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

<probably a low-grade question> what is an Echo Dot and a Google Home
Mini? Are they smaller versions of the alexa?

What all do they do and are there any podcasts on the subject?

To those who have one or both devices are there privacy concerns as
there now are with I think it's the Amazon alexa?

Thanks.
Dave.

On 6/4/18, Laz <laz@talkingmp3players.com> wrote:
isn't difficult.

Laz

wrote:
DAB
the
choose
from and I could search them via genre i.e. news, sport country music
pop
music rock music religious spoken word etc.. I would imagine I'd need
to
do
echo

Of
-
Amazon
Echo?

started

is
a

radio

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf
Of
Richard Brock
Amazon
Echo?

Hello Walter,
Good luck,
Rich

Hi folks. It hasn't interested me in the past but I'm toying with
the
idea
of purchasing either a Google Home or An Amazon Echo. The problem
is,
I
I
do
have a number of DAB radios in the house but their presets are
limited
and
With
guess
however
use
range
they
haven't
to
welcome. Walter.

--
XB

--

--

Laz

Hi Janet,

If your ten-year old Bose stereo has either Bluetooth or a line in
jack then the answer is yes.

Laz

On 6/4/18, janet gross <janet.harvard@outlook.com> wrote:
HI Laz,
Thank you for this. Are you saying I could connect an Echo Dot with my 10
year old Bose stereo?
Janet

Laz
Echo?

isn't difficult.

Laz

wrote:
DAB
the
choose
do
echo

Of
-
Amazon
Echo?

started

is
a

radio

Of
Richard Brock
Amazon
Echo?

Hello Walter,
Good luck,
Rich

idea
I
I
do
and
With
guess
however
use
range
they
haven't
to
welcome. Walter.

--
XB

--

--

Janet

Laz,
I don't think my Bose has Bluetooth, but maybe the line in jack though. I would have to check on rather it has Bluetooth or not. I'm not sure if Bluetooth was out ten years ago. Maybe it was though.
Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laz
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 3:54 PM

Hi Janet,

If your ten-year old Bose stereo has either Bluetooth or a line in
jack then the answer is yes.

Laz

On 6/4/18, janet gross <janet.harvard@outlook.com> wrote:
HI Laz,
Thank you for this. Are you saying I could connect an Echo Dot with my 10
year old Bose stereo?
Janet

Laz
Echo?

isn't difficult.

Laz

wrote:
DAB
the
choose
do
echo

Of
-
Amazon
Echo?

started

is
a

radio

Of
Richard Brock
Amazon
Echo?

Hello Walter,
Good luck,
Rich

idea
I
I
do
and
With
guess
however
use
range
they
haven't
to
welcome. Walter.

--
XB

--

--

chris judge

Another quick question about google home versus amazon echo. Are apps for
both products equally accessible with voice over? Thanks.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Walter
Ramage via Groups.Io
Sent: June 4, 2018 2:13 PM
Echo?

music system for something different and high-end. The good thing about the
website. I think there were well over 1000 internet stations I could choose
music rock music religious spoken word etc.. I would imagine I'd need to do

-
Echo?

Yes, international stations can be accessed. Usually any station is started

For example using a name; one of the bbc services is called bbc 4 which is a
mostly news source, bbc 4 xtra plays radio dramas. There are several other
bbc choices for music and regional services in the uk.

radio
stations I wonder if the Echo would be able to find international
radio stations and if so, how is it done. Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf
Of
Richard Brock
Amazon Echo?

Hello Walter,
Good luck,
Rich

Hi folks. It hasn't interested me in the past but I'm toying with
the
idea
of purchasing either a Google Home or An Amazon Echo. The problem
is, I don't know which product is the best, especially in the area
of accessibility. My main use for the product would be radio
listening. I
do
have a number of DAB radios in the house but their presets are
limited
and
With
guess
however
use lights since I am total. I understand that Amazon have a much
wider
range
they