UEB Braille code and restaurant menu inaccessibility

David Mehler

Hello,

Last week I went with a group to a restaurant which I had been to
before and like going there due to their Braille menu I can choose my
own food without having to have someone read me the menu.

I discovered frankly to my consternation that they had updated their
menu and this new version used the new (well new to me) UEB Braille
code format. I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

The purpose of this email is twofold: first, to express my
consternation at this turn which has made reading menu accessibility
go down? Second, to generate discussion, opinions, and any resolutions
to this issue.

I'd prefer not to have to unlearn x years of Braille reading.

Thanks.
Dave.

Angelo Sonnesso

There are some differences, but they are certainly still readable.

73 N2DYN Angelo

Last week I went with a group to a restaurant which I had been to before and like going there due to their Braille menu I can choose my own food without having to have someone read me the menu.

I discovered frankly to my consternation that they had updated their menu and this new version used the new (well new to me) UEB Braille code format. I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

The purpose of this email is twofold: first, to express my consternation at this turn which has made reading menu accessibility go down? Second, to generate discussion, opinions, and any resolutions to this issue.

I'd prefer not to have to unlearn x years of Braille reading.

Thanks.
Dave.

David Mehler

Hi,

Looked like a mess of symbols.

Dave.

On 6/4/18, Angelo Sonnesso <asonnesso@gmail.com> wrote:
There are some differences, but they are certainly still readable.

73 N2DYN Angelo

Last week I went with a group to a restaurant which I had been to before and
like going there due to their Braille menu I can choose my own food without
having to have someone read me the menu.

I discovered frankly to my consternation that they had updated their menu
and this new version used the new (well new to me) UEB Braille code format.
I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

The purpose of this email is twofold: first, to express my consternation at
this turn which has made reading menu accessibility go down? Second, to
generate discussion, opinions, and any resolutions to this issue.

I'd prefer not to have to unlearn x years of Braille reading.

Thanks.
Dave.

Gene

I don't think you will have to.  I believe there some specific things you will have to learn, but that aside from these, Braille is still basically Braille.

Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 9:07 AM

Hello,

Last week I went with a group to a restaurant which I had been to
before and like going there due to their Braille menu I can choose my
own food without having to have someone read me the menu.

I discovered frankly to my consternation that they had updated their
menu and this new version used the new (well new to me) UEB Braille
code format. I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

The purpose of this email is twofold: first, to express my
consternation at this turn which has made reading menu accessibility
go down? Second, to generate discussion, opinions, and any resolutions
to this issue.

I'd prefer not to have to unlearn x years of Braille reading.

Thanks.
Dave.

Angelo Sonnesso

It is amazing that this restaurant has updated their menus so quickly.

73 N2DYN Angelo

[...]

Yah it was quite dismayed. I believe that this is wrong, I mean older
Braille readers, who have learned Braille as a kid, and have read
Braille that way for 20/30/40+ years the switch forces a new learning
or you can't use what was previously accessible and available. I would
have said something, but then I didn't think the manager would get the
new UEB vs I'll call it the proper Braille.

[...]

Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi there!

I am 62 years old and have been reading braille since I was 5 to 6.  My first encounter with the new braille was when I took a look at the Braille Book review.  Aside from taking a double look at a few things such as the a plust hte tion sign I haven't really had any real issues with it.  Just go with the flow<SMILE!>.  I always looked at everything as a challenge took overcome-the bigger the challenge the more I like it!  Catch Ya All Later! de

On 6/4/18, Angelo Sonnesso <asonnesso@...> wrote:
There are some differences, but they are certainly still readable.

73 N2DYN Angelo

Last week I went with a group to a restaurant which I had been to before and
like going there due to their Braille menu I can choose my own food without
having to have someone read me the menu.

I discovered frankly to my consternation that they had updated their menu
and this new version used the new (well new to me) UEB Braille code format.
I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

The purpose of this email is twofold: first, to express my consternation at
this turn which has made reading menu accessibility go down? Second, to
generate discussion, opinions, and any resolutions to this issue.

I'd prefer not to have to unlearn x years of Braille reading.

Thanks.
Dave.

heather albright

I hate UEB but, it is still readable. I was exposed to it when I studied abroad in the uk back in 2000 it is  basically the same code! Just some of the grade 2 symboles are not being used, right? I have not really taken the time to figure it out. I do believe that we the blind should had the opportunity to vote on our own code instead of some sighted board saying to all of us they are changing the code. I never had the opertunity to say or nay about the changes; not very democratic eh! Cheers Heather

e-mail:
kd5cbl@...
sites:
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
An Accessible Online Library:
www.bookshare.org

Last week I went with a group to a restaurant which I had been to

before and like going there due to their Braille menu I can choose my

own food without having to have someone read me the menu.

I discovered frankly to my consternation that they had updated their

menu and this new version used the new (well new to me) UEB Braille

code format. I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

The purpose of this email is twofold: first, to express my

consternation at this turn which has made reading menu accessibility

go down? Second, to generate discussion, opinions, and any resolutions

to this issue.

I'd prefer not to have to unlearn x years of Braille reading.

Thanks.

Dave.

Donna

Most restaurants have their menus online. I perfer to use the online menus because the online menus show limited time items & reflect price changes. Just a thought for you to ponder for next time.

Donna

Hello,

Last week I went with a group to a restaurant which I had been to
before and like going there due to their Braille menu I can choose my
own food without having to have someone read me the menu.

I discovered frankly to my consternation that they had updated their
menu and this new version used the new (well new to me) UEB Braille
code format. I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

The purpose of this email is twofold: first, to express my
consternation at this turn which has made reading menu accessibility
go down? Second, to generate discussion, opinions, and any resolutions
to this issue.

I'd prefer not to have to unlearn x years of Braille reading.

Thanks.
Dave.

John Dennett

Those of us who  are blind from birth have had on a daily bases extra challenges thus, at 63, taking on new learning for me is most exciting  because,  we've come a long way from the days of the slate and stylus and perkins along with a recorder in college.  As a former teacher, I was also motivated to keep up in order to help my students. However, I hold great respect for sighted and none sighted friends who chose to stick to their traditional learning because they are retired and do  not  wish to take on reinventing the wheel as many have said to me.  You all are a swell bunch of people.

On Jun 4, 2018, at 9:56 AM, Jim Wohlgamuth <wohlggie@...> wrote:

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I can read text, but my bank statements are nothing but gobbletygook. Pam.

can get UEB Reference cards fron the National Braille Press, at www.nbp.org
.

That said, it's possible that - because it's new - there are some
problems with how it is being implemented by computer programs being used to
transcribe print materials into hardcopy Braille.

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

<sigh> One does not need to relearn braille in order to learn UEB. Since this is a menu, you would be dealing with prices. Fine, then learn how prices are written in UEB. For example, the dollar sign is a dot 4 followed by the letter S. The decimal point looks like a litterary braille period, the dropped D with which we are familliar. This dropped D is used for all dotty things periods, decimal points and elipses. The bold sign is dots 4-5 followed by dot 2.

These aren't difficult signs to learn. Get thee to NBP and get their guide on UEB. I'm sitting here this minute looking at mine. I don't know all the symbols in UEB yet, so I keep a couple of cheat sheets around. It ain't goin' away folks. Better invest in learning tools. It won't take long, especially if all you want is a crash course in litterary braille in UEB. All the letters are the same. There are some contractions that have been dropped and they've added symbols for parenthesis and bold and underlining, but mostly it's the same old braille.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

David, are you too old to learn new things? When was that line crossed? Unless you are suffering extreme memory loss, there's nothing wrong with your brain at all. We're talking learning about ten new symbols not hundreds.
[...]

I have a friend who has both of the books on UEB, but what she is complaining about is they don't give you the numbers of the dots the UEB signs are composed of. I asked her couldn't she tell by feel what they were, and she said not always. Pam.

can get UEB Reference cards fron the National Braille Press, at www.nbp.org
.

[...]

If you need to read your bank statements, then learn UEB. Doesn't your statement have a list of symbols used in it and what they mean?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Well, well, well, I guess both chivalry and problem solving are dead. It's a real shame too. Problem solving is so helpful!

I noticed last night when I was looking up the dollar sign on my cheat sheet and couldn't figure out which dots were which. I went to my handy, dandy brailleNote and wrote the symbols down till I got the one that looked the same as the one in the book.

One does not need to have a BrailleNote or even a Perkins Brailler to solve this problem. All you need is a scrap of paper and a slate and stylus. Write it down, duplicate it, hello? Is anyone home?

Yes it would be easier if the dot numbers were given, but since they aren't, you have to stretch your mind just a tiny bit. It's good for you! People yammer on and on about physical exercise when sometimes what is needed is mental stretching.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gary Ketler

I have done something like that with a Braille writer or a slate and stylus.

[...]

brian

Ueb was forced upon us by a bunch of sighted people who think that we need to read every print format we don't know what it stands for and it only adds to the bulkieness of braille and makes our braille very cluttered up.  Sighted people read with their eyes and not with their fingers.  Somthing that would like nice to them looks very messy for blind readers.  I know that in magazines there is a page that says symbles used in this magazine are then they list them.  Maybe in the menus there was no page like that. If the blind were consulted about we would ever have ueb because the blind would have said no way.  I think that they are trying to bring about the demise of braille for the 10 percent of us who read it.  The high cost to produce braille will only increase then we will have less and less of it and thats what they want.  They are robbingus of our literacy and our independence and access to verious content.  If they had to read with their fingers they would not like it either.  The 9 contractions were there for a reason it worked and there was no need to get rid of them.  There is no confution if you look at the context in which they occure.

Brian Sackrider

On 6/4/2018 10:23 AM, David Mehler wrote:
[...]

lance allison

the ueb braille code was designed more for again visual transcribers to make it easier by site to translate Pharrell back and forth it really doesn't help as far as how much room Braille takes up for the blind in most cases symbols are expanded not contracted