Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 9:26 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Talking Bathroom Scale

Happy Independence Day holiday, gang.  Sorry I caused such a furor over the article about the fatal self-driving car accident.  But let’s get back to practical technology.  This morning, when I stepped on my Phoenix by My Weigh talking scale for my monthly weigh-in, I discovered to my chagrin that it was totally dead.  I installed three different brand-new 9 volt alkaline batteries to try to revive it, but no luck.  So I’m in the market for a new talking bathroom scale other than this one, which only lasted three years with infrequent use.  Amazon.com has a nice selection of talking scales between $25 and $30, which is much cheaper than the blindness vendors charge for the same products.  I have narrowed my choices to either the American Weigh 330CVS or the Taylor Precision 7084 talking scales, both of which have received mostly positive reviews.  Does anyone own one of these two models, and if so, how accessible is it, and how loud and clear is the speech?  Are there any other models you guys would recommend?  Please provide specific brands and model numbers or names.  Thanks for your feedback.

Gerald

Robin Frost

Hi,
I’ve had good fortune with the talking scale by Moshi

#756907
that is its item number at independent living aids.
the only problem I continually encounter with talking bathroom scales is often the foot containing the censor that determines when to activate it can easily break if the unit is handled too roughly as happened to one of mine at the hands of a cleaning helper; but again this seems common t all brands I’ve tried of which there’ve been a few.
Over all this unit has a sturdy solid state feel to it and seems to be accurate.
I’ve no experience with the other two brands mentioned in terms of bathroom scales but like another poster mentioned I’ve used the my way kitchen scale and have found it to be satisfactory for its intended purpose as well.

I hope that helps.
Robin

Sent: Sunday, July 3, 2016 9:26 AM

[...]

Matt

Also check out speak to me catalog and blind mice mart and if you find one you like then you might want to check out amazon.

Sent: Sunday, July 3, 2016 9:26 AM

[...]

James Bentley

Hello Gerald,

I purchase two American Weigh 330CVS scales for Christmas gifts in December 2014.  Both stopped working in less than 8 months.  American weigh replaced both units and one stopped working in less than one month and the other scale got stuck away in a closet because the user did not like the distortion with the scales speech.

I wish I could make a decent suggestion but I recommend that you stay away from American Weigh.

James

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 8:26 AM

[...]

Gerald Levy

In fact, my Phoenix talking bathroom scale is covered by My Weigh’s 30-year warranty.  But returning it to them for a replacement isn’t worth the hassle.  Besides, I can’t find the sales receipt, which is required, and the merchant I purchased it from no longer has a record of the transaction on its site, so I’m out of luck.  It has been my experience that such generous warranties are of little practical value because they usually require jumping through a lot of hoops or spending almost as much for shipping and service charges as the cost of buying a new unit. Do you know anyone who saves a sales receipt or original packing carton for 30years?

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 9:35 AM

Geraldd,  I use the My Weigh talking kitchen scales, which come with a 30 year warranty.  Since I weigh out dry chemicals for my work, they frequently begin to ddecline from the airborn chemicals that play havoc with the button switches.  I'd almost bet you the bathroom scales carry a similar warranty, and you can get a replacement.
Mike
[...]

Mike Thomas

yes, I save the sales receipt.  Staple the receipt to the warranty card and I have a letter of explanation in the computer I can change the dates on, and I'm ready to put it in a boxand send it off to Arizona for replacement.  Since I use two of these scales simultaneously, I've gotten them replaced free of charge several times, saving a lot of money on replacing the scales.  Might I also suggest scanning in the receipt so it can be reproduced whenever you need it.

Mike

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 9:35 AM

[...]

I’m kind of leaning towards the Taylor talking scale, because it seems that American Weigh and My Weigh scales have reliability problems.

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 8:26 AM

[...]

Of course,  I already checked the Speak to Me Catalog.  They sell the American Weigh 330CVS and 396TBS, at substantially higher prices than Amazon, and charge extra for shipping to boot.  One big problem I have with blindness-products merchants like Speak to Me, Future Aids, Maxi-Aids and ILA is that they never specify the brand name or model number in the product description which makes comparison shopping difficult.  They probably do this so that they can charge higher prices.  But by doing a little research, I was able to determine that the two talking scales listed on the Speak to Me site are the two aforementioned models.

Gerald

[...]

Yes, this is a good suggestion.  From now on whenever I purchase something from a small merchant, I’ll scan and save the sales receipt or invoice.  No wonder I couldn’t find the original purchase details for my My Weigh Phoenix talking scale.  I thought that I had purchased it from Amazon, but I remembered that I had actually purchased it from another merchant which apparently went belly up.  I think the reason that these scales fail prematurely is that they are kept in the bathroom where high humidity and moisture can damage the delicate electronic components.  This is less of a problem with old-fashioned analog mechanical scales, but of course, there is no way for a blind person to use one without sighted help, and even with sighted help, it is often difficult to read the weight markings on the dial.

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 11:25 AM

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 9:35 AM