Talking Bathroom Scale

Gerald Levy

Happy Independence Day holiday, gang.  Sorry I caused such a furor over the article about the fatal self-driving car accident.  But let’s get back to practical technology.  This morning, when I stepped on my Phoenix by My Weigh talking scale for my monthly weigh-in, I discovered to my chagrin that it was totally dead.  I installed three different brand-new 9 volt alkaline batteries to try to revive it, but no luck.  So I’m in the market for a new talking bathroom scale other than this one, which only lasted three years with infrequent use.  Amazon.com has a nice selection of talking scales between $25 and $30, which is much cheaper than the blindness vendors charge for the same products.  I have narrowed my choices to either the American Weigh 330CVS or the Taylor Precision 7084 talking scales, both of which have received mostly positive reviews.  Does anyone own one of these two models, and if so, how accessible is it, and how loud and clear is the speech?  Are there any other models you guys would recommend?  Please provide specific brands and model numbers or names.  Thanks for your feedback. 

Gerald

Mike Thomas

Geraldd,  I use the My Weigh talking kitchen scales, which come with a 30 year warranty.  Since I weigh out dry chemicals for my work, they frequently begin to ddecline from the airborn chemicals that play havoc with the button switches.  I'd almost bet you the bathroom scales carry a similar warranty, and you can get a replacement.
Mike

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 9:26 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Talking Bathroom Scale

Happy Independence Day holiday, gang.  Sorry I caused such a furor over the article about the fatal self-driving car accident.  But let’s get back to practical technology.  This morning, when I stepped on my Phoenix by My Weigh talking scale for my monthly weigh-in, I discovered to my chagrin that it was totally dead.  I installed three different brand-new 9 volt alkaline batteries to try to revive it, but no luck.  So I’m in the market for a new talking bathroom scale other than this one, which only lasted three years with infrequent use.  Amazon.com has a nice selection of talking scales between $25 and $30, which is much cheaper than the blindness vendors charge for the same products.  I have narrowed my choices to either the American Weigh 330CVS or the Taylor Precision 7084 talking scales, both of which have received mostly positive reviews.  Does anyone own one of these two models, and if so, how accessible is it, and how loud and clear is the speech?  Are there any other models you guys would recommend?  Please provide specific brands and model numbers or names.  Thanks for your feedback. 

Gerald

Robin Frost

Hi,
I’ve had good fortune with the talking scale by Moshi

that is its item number at independent living aids.
the only problem I continually encounter with talking bathroom scales is often the foot containing the censor that determines when to activate it can easily break if the unit is handled too roughly as happened to one of mine at the hands of a cleaning helper; but again this seems common t all brands I’ve tried of which there’ve been a few.
Over all this unit has a sturdy solid state feel to it and seems to be accurate.
I’ve no experience with the other two brands mentioned in terms of bathroom scales but like another poster mentioned I’ve used the my way kitchen scale and have found it to be satisfactory for its intended purpose as well.

I hope that helps.
Robin

Sent: Sunday, July 3, 2016 9:26 AM

Gerald

Matt

Also check out speak to me catalog and blind mice mart and if you find one you like then you might want to check out amazon.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robin Frost
Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 10:30 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Talking Bathroom Scale

Hi,

the only problem I continually encounter with talking bathroom scales is often the foot containing the censor that determines when to activate it can easily break if the unit is handled too roughly as happened to one of mine at the hands of a cleaning helper; but again this seems common t all brands I’ve tried of which there’ve been a few.

Over all this unit has a sturdy solid state feel to it and seems to be accurate.

I’ve no experience with the other two brands mentioned in terms of bathroom scales but like another poster mentioned I’ve used the my way kitchen scale and have found it to be satisfactory for its intended purpose as well.

I hope that helps.

Robin

Gerald

James Bentley

Hello Gerald,

I purchase two American Weigh 330CVS scales for Christmas gifts in December 2014.  Both stopped working in less than 8 months.  American weigh replaced both units and one stopped working in less than one month and the other scale got stuck away in a closet because the user did not like the distortion with the scales speech. 

I wish I could make a decent suggestion but I recommend that you stay away from American Weigh.

James

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 8:26 AM

Gerald

Gerald Levy

In fact, my Phoenix talking bathroom scale is covered by My Weigh’s 30-year warranty.  But returning it to them for a replacement isn’t worth the hassle.  Besides, I can’t find the sales receipt, which is required, and the merchant I purchased it from no longer has a record of the transaction on its site, so I’m out of luck.  It has been my experience that such generous warranties are of little practical value because they usually require jumping through a lot of hoops or spending almost as much for shipping and service charges as the cost of buying a new unit. Do you know anyone who saves a sales receipt or original packing carton for 30years?  

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 9:35 AM

Geraldd,  I use the My Weigh talking kitchen scales, which come with a 30 year warranty.  Since I weigh out dry chemicals for my work, they frequently begin to ddecline from the airborn chemicals that play havoc with the button switches.  I'd almost bet you the bathroom scales carry a similar warranty, and you can get a replacement.
Mike

Gerald

Mike Thomas

yes, I save the sales receipt.  Staple the receipt to the warranty card and I have a letter of explanation in the computer I can change the dates on, and I'm ready to put it in a boxand send it off to Arizona for replacement.  Since I use two of these scales simultaneously, I've gotten them replaced free of charge several times, saving a lot of money on replacing the scales.  Might I also suggest scanning in the receipt so it can be reproduced whenever you need it.

Mike

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 11:15 AM

In fact, my Phoenix talking bathroom scale is covered by My Weigh’s 30-year warranty.  But returning it to them for a replacement isn’t worth the hassle.  Besides, I can’t find the sales receipt, which is required, and the merchant I purchased it from no longer has a record of the transaction on its site, so I’m out of luck.  It has been my experience that such generous warranties are of little practical value because they usually require jumping through a lot of hoops or spending almost as much for shipping and service charges as the cost of buying a new unit. Do you know anyone who saves a sales receipt or original packing carton for 30years?  

Gerald

Mike

Gerald

Gerald Levy

I’m kind of leaning towards the Taylor talking scale, because it seems that American Weigh and My Weigh scales have reliability problems. 

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 11:11 AM

Hello Gerald,

I purchase two American Weigh 330CVS scales for Christmas gifts in December 2014.  Both stopped working in less than 8 months.  American weigh replaced both units and one stopped working in less than one month and the other scale got stuck away in a closet because the user did not like the distortion with the scales speech. 

I wish I could make a decent suggestion but I recommend that you stay away from American Weigh.

James

Gerald

Gerald Levy

Of course,  I already checked the Speak to Me Catalog.  They sell the American Weigh 330CVS and 396TBS, at substantially higher prices than Amazon, and charge extra for shipping to boot.  One big problem I have with blindness-products merchants like Speak to Me, Future Aids, Maxi-Aids and ILA is that they never specify the brand name or model number in the product description which makes comparison shopping difficult.  They probably do this so that they can charge higher prices.  But by doing a little research, I was able to determine that the two talking scales listed on the Speak to Me site are the two aforementioned models.

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 11:05 AM

Also check out speak to me catalog and blind mice mart and if you find one you like then you might want to check out amazon.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Robin Frost

Hi,

I hope that helps.

Robin

Gerald

Gerald Levy

Yes, this is a good suggestion.  From now on whenever I purchase something from a small merchant, I’ll scan and save the sales receipt or invoice.  No wonder I couldn’t find the original purchase details for my My Weigh Phoenix talking scale.  I thought that I had purchased it from Amazon, but I remembered that I had actually purchased it from another merchant which apparently went belly up.  I think the reason that these scales fail prematurely is that they are kept in the bathroom where high humidity and moisture can damage the delicate electronic components.  This is less of a problem with old-fashioned analog mechanical scales, but of course, there is no way for a blind person to use one without sighted help, and even with sighted help, it is often difficult to read the weight markings on the dial.

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 11:25 AM

yes, I save the sales receipt.  Staple the receipt to the warranty card and I have a letter of explanation in the computer I can change the dates on, and I'm ready to put it in a boxand send it off to Arizona for replacement.  Since I use two of these scales simultaneously, I've gotten them replaced free of charge several times, saving a lot of money on replacing the scales.  Might I also suggest scanning in the receipt so it can be reproduced whenever you need it.

Mike

Gerald

Mike

Gerald

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Gerald,

This is the scale from ILA we're currently using & it works very well.

ITEM#          DESCRIPTION                            QTY    TOTAL    
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
756900         Superior Talking Scale with Clear Speak1      $63.95   
 Ship Via: GROUND SHIPPING (FREE S&H ON ORDERS $75+)
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 6:26 AM

Gerald

Carolyn Arnold

Speak to me has some bathroom scales for $34, and you don't have to step off them then back on to them.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy

Happy Independence Day holiday, gang. Sorry I caused such a furor over the article about the fatal self-driving car accident. But let’s get back to practical technology. This morning, when I stepped on my Phoenix by My Weigh talking scale for my monthly weigh-in, I discovered to my chagrin that it was totally dead. I installed three different brand-new 9 volt alkaline batteries to try to revive it, but no luck. So I’m in the market for a new talking bathroom scale other than this one, which only lasted three years with infrequent use. Amazon.com has a nice selection of talking scales between $25 and $30, which is much cheaper than the blindness vendors charge for the same products. I have narrowed my choices to either the American Weigh 330CVS or the Taylor Precision 7084 talking scales, both of which have received mostly positive reviews. Does anyone own one of these two models, and if so, how accessible is it, and how loud and clear is the speech? Are there any other models you guys would recommend? Please provide specific brands and model numbers or names. Thanks for your feedback.

Gerald

Matt

Now that is nice as the one I have you have to step off them and back on them to hear the results. Of course visual people don't have this problem. Now what does it do announce the results continualness or every so often or what ?

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 3:08 PM

Speak to me has some bathroom scales for $34, and you don't have to step off them then back on to them.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy

Happy Independence Day holiday, gang. Sorry I caused such a furor over the article about the fatal self-driving car accident. But let’s get back to practical technology. This morning, when I stepped on my Phoenix by My Weigh talking scale for my monthly weigh-in, I discovered to my chagrin that it was totally dead. I installed three different brand-new 9 volt alkaline batteries to try to revive it, but no luck. So I’m in the market for a new talking bathroom scale other than this one, which only lasted three years with infrequent use. Amazon.com has a nice selection of talking scales between $25 and $30, which is much cheaper than the blindness vendors charge for the same products. I have narrowed my choices to either the American Weigh 330CVS or the Taylor Precision 7084 talking scales, both of which have received mostly positive reviews. Does anyone own one of these two models, and if so, how accessible is it, and how loud and clear is the speech? Are there any other models you guys would recommend? Please provide specific brands and model numbers or names. Thanks for your feedback.

Gerald

Matt

Yes I not going to pay a whole lot more but if it is just a matter of 5 bucks or so then I will get it from a blind specific merchant if the company is owned by a blind person as it helps supports someone from our blind community. No I not going to pay no 15 or 20 or more dollars above a mainstream merchant . but I totally believe in helping someone from the blind community as there is just so much unemployment in our community and helping someone in it to maybe stay off welfare is worth the 5 or 10 bucks different! JMO!

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 12:59 PM

Of course,  I already checked the Speak to Me Catalog.  They sell the American Weigh 330CVS and 396TBS, at substantially higher prices than Amazon, and charge extra for shipping to boot.  One big problem I have with blindness-products merchants like Speak to Me, Future Aids, Maxi-Aids and ILA is that they never specify the brand name or model number in the product description which makes comparison shopping difficult.  They probably do this so that they can charge higher prices.  But by doing a little research, I was able to determine that the two talking scales listed on the Speak to Me site are the two aforementioned models.

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 11:05 AM

Hi,

I hope that helps.

Robin

Gerald

Gerald Levy

The model that Speak to Me sells for $34.95 is the American Weigh 330CVS, which Amazon sells for $25 with free shipping on qualified orders. Another list member reported reliability problems with this model, so I'm leaning towards the Taylor 7804 talking scale, which sells on Amazon for $30.

Gerald

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Gerald

Sugar Lopez

I got mine from Maxi Aides and it’s been 10 years now and she has a brittish accent, so it works both in lbs and in kilos and works great! It takes a 9 volt(square) battery.

‘Faith is seeing light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness.’

Sugar

Come and join me and my busy elves at the North Pole for yummy & Tasty Recipes:

https://groups.io/org/groupsio/Santas-Workshop

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 8:12 AM

Hello Gerald,

James

Gerald

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Carolyn Arnold

I have had company mess up my scales because of that step off then back on.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Sunday, July 3, 2016 3:28 PM

Now that is nice as the one I have you have to step off them and back on them to hear the results. Of course visual people don't have this problem. Now what does it do announce the results continualness or every so often or what ?

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Gerald

Pamela Dominguez

Also, these days, if you have the serial number, they can quight often look up the information themselves.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 11:25 AM

Mike

Gerald

Mike

Gerald

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7640 / Virus Database: 4613/12551 - Release Date: 07/03/16

Gerald Levy

Here’s an update on my search for a new talking bathroom scale.  I did a little research on the Moshi Talking Scale and discovered that Independent Living Aids  is the only merchant that sells it, which explains why they include the brand name in the product description.  Obviously, it nobody else sells it, then they can charge whatever they can get away with, which is $50, which seems on the high side for a bare-bones talking scale.  ButI won’t let one of these blindness-products merchants pull a fast one on me because  I’m a savvy shopper.  So after a little more research, I discovered that the Moshi talking scale is actually sold as the mainstream Newline SCB105 talking scale on Amazon.com for $24.  I compared the instructionn manual for the Moshi scale with the instruction manual for the Newline scale, and voila, the language in both manuals is identical, and even the voice prompts on both models are the same, which proves to me pretty convincingly that the two models are actually the same scale sold under different brand names.  Plus, Amazon reviews of the Newline scale mention that the speech is loud and clear, which I was able to corroborate after listening to the audio tutorial for the Moshi scale on the ILA site.  So now I’m seriously considering the Newline scale.  I will have to cobble together another $25worth of merchandise to get free shipping, but that shouldn’t be too difficult, as I can always find stuff to buy on Amazon.com.  ILA requires a minimum order of $75 to qualify for free shipping, so why would I buy the Moshi scale from them when I can buy the essentially identical Newline SCB105 scale from Amazon.com for half the price?

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 10:29 AM

Hi,

I hope that helps.
Robin

Gerald

Veronica Kirk

I have a Superior Talking Scale as well and have had it for at least 5 years.

Veronica

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 2:05 PM

Hi Gerald,

This is the scale from ILA we're currently using & it works very well.

ITEM#          DESCRIPTION                            QTY    TOTAL    
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
756900         Superior Talking Scale with Clear Speak1      $63.95   
 Ship Via: GROUND SHIPPING (FREE S&H ON ORDERS $75+)

Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 6:26 AM

Gerald