How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

Veronica Kirk

1. I only use Narrator for emergencies.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2016 8:39 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

A new poll has been created:

Just for fun and because we rarely use this feature.

1. I only use Narrator for emergencies
2. I never use Narrator
3. I use Narrator regularly

Vote Now

Veronica Kirk

I only use Narrator for emergencies.

Just for fun and because we rarely use this feature.

1. I only use Narrator for emergencies
2. I never use Narrator
3. I use Narrator regularly

Vote Now

TerriLynne Pomeroy <tl1@...>

I never use Narrator. It drives me crazy. I would rather find someone to help me or even take it to a business than deal with Narrator.

TerriLynne

Just for fun and because we rarely use this feature.

1. I only use Narrator for emergencies
2. I never use Narrator
3. I use Narrator regularly

Vote Now

Carlos

So far it seems that the only time anyone uses Narrator is as a backup, for emergencies, to finish setting up Windows, or for testing purposes.  Since none of these new features significantly impact any of these scenarios except for testing, who exactly is benefiting from these improvements?  As I said, for now Microsoft would be better off investing more time and effort improving accessibility in other areas.  Until or unless Microsoft decides to turn it into a full-blown screen reader, these improvements to Narrator which almost no one will use are a waste of effort.

I never use Narrator. It drives me crazy. I would rather find someone to help me or even take it to a business than deal with Narrator.

TerriLynne

Just for fun and because we rarely use this feature.

1. I only use Narrator for emergencies
2. I never use Narrator
3. I use Narrator regularly

Vote Now

Carolyn Arnold

I wonder if it would be helpful to submit these findings to Microsoft? I know they would not want to hear it. That's life though, sometimes, we need to hear it whether or not we want to. I know from experience.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Vote Now <https://TechTalk.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=137>

Carlos

I'm sure Microsoft already receives more than enough feedback, but like most large corporations they prioritize based on some secret formula unknown to the rest of us which usually has little to do with what consumers are actually requesting. In other words, they hear what they choose to hear and then do what they want to do.

[...]

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>

Hi,
Things are implemented based on upvotes and severity of bugs.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

1000 percent right on. It makes sense to them.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Yes, but who exactly is requesting all of these Narrator improvements? Not just based on this poll, but based on experience I don't believe most blind consumers are using Narrator frequently enough for it to warrant this much attention. Certainly not at the expense of effort which could be invested elsewhere.

[...]

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi Carlos,
Just a guess, but, people in schools, who have absolutely ideas what we want?

Sent from a BrailleNote

Things are implemented based on upvotes and severity of bugs.
Cheers,
Joseph

I never use Narrator. It drives me crazy. I would rather find someone to
help me or even take it to a business than deal with Narrator.

TerriLynne

Just for fun and because we rarely use this feature.

1. I only use Narrator for emergencies
2. I never use Narrator
3. I use Narrator regularly

Vote Now <https://TechTalk.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=137

Carolyn Arnold

It's probably some engineer's justification for his/her job.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

Maybe not ultimately on Windows, but it is very likely the narrator research and development might be targeted for platforms other than desktops such as tablets and phones. In other words, Narrator on the desktop has a huge pool of users, and the R&D resulting from this large group of users can be used on other platforms such as tablets.

JR

[...]

Also, this is how software and R&DD works, not everything researched results
in a new device. At times the technology is used for other purposes, but
just because it doesn't have an immediate use doesn't mean its time, money,
or effort wasted. GPS has existed for decades, but its only relatively
recently that it has become omnipresent on just about all mobile devices.

JR

Just a guess, but, people in schools, who have absolutely ideas what we
want?

Sent from a BrailleNote

Things are implemented based on upvotes and severity of bugs.
Cheers,
Joseph

Just for fun and because we rarely use this feature.

1. I only use Narrator for emergencies
2. I never use Narrator
3. I use Narrator regularly

Vote Now <https://TechTalk.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=137

Carlos

Except for the fact that on tablets running full-blown versions of Windows 10, which seems to be all of them at the moment, you can run any screen reader you like so you are not dependent on Narrator.

[...]

GPS has massive applications in the consumer market in general. It is not really comparable to improvements in Narrator. Even before GPS became so hugely mainstream, it's development was driven by use for the military.

Just a guess, but, people in schools, who have absolutely ideas what we
want?

Sent from a BrailleNote

Things are implemented based on upvotes and severity of bugs.
Cheers,
Joseph

Just for fun and because we rarely use this feature.

1. I only use Narrator for emergencies
2. I never use Narrator
3. I use Narrator regularly

Vote Now <https://TechTalk.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=137

Carlos

Although I could see how it might benefit Mobile Windows phone user since you won't be able to run any screen reader in that case.

[...]

Norman

Hi.

Actually, you can run narator on windows phone.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com>
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy" <jeremy.richards7@gmail.com>
[...]

Yes, that was my point. I could see how it might be useful in that case since you could not run any of the major screen readers like JAWS, Window Eyes, and NVDA.

[...]

Personally, i'm glad to see narator improvements. It's yet another option.

I don't use it on my pc, but if it ever gets good enough i may seriously consider switching to windows phone from android.

I would really like features like continuom and some of the things along that line that ms is doing.

In addition, This would make yet another accessible platform that i can use.

Who knows, maybe some day narator will become to windows what voice over is on the mac and all the other screen readers get sidelined because they aren't keeping up.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
[...]

I think if you could find the right person to submit them to it might.

@msftaccess on twitter seems to be a good starting point.