How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

Veronica Kirk

1. I only use Narrator for emergencies.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2016 8:39 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

A new poll has been created:

Just for fun and because we rarely use this feature.

1. I only use Narrator for emergencies
2. I never use Narrator
3. I use Narrator regularly

Vote Now

Veronica Kirk

I only use Narrator for emergencies.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Subject: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Vote Now

TerriLynne Pomeroy <tl1@...>

I never use Narrator. It drives me crazy. I would rather find someone to help me or even take it to a business than deal with Narrator.

TerriLynne

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Veronica Kirk
Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2016 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Vote Now

Carlos

So far it seems that the only time anyone uses Narrator is as a backup, for emergencies, to finish setting up Windows, or for testing purposes.  Since none of these new features significantly impact any of these scenarios except for testing, who exactly is benefiting from these improvements?  As I said, for now Microsoft would be better off investing more time and effort improving accessibility in other areas.  Until or unless Microsoft decides to turn it into a full-blown screen reader, these improvements to Narrator which almost no one will use are a waste of effort.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 12:14 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen reader? #poll

I never use Narrator. It drives me crazy. I would rather find someone to help me or even take it to a business than deal with Narrator.

TerriLynne

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Veronica Kirk

2. I never use Narrator

Vote Now

Carolyn Arnold

I wonder if it would be helpful to submit these findings to Microsoft? I know they would not want to hear it. That's life though, sometimes, we need to hear it whether or not we want to. I know from experience.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 4, 2016 12:34 AM

So far it seems that the only time anyone uses Narrator is as a backup, for emergencies, to finish setting up Windows, or for testing purposes. Since none of these new features significantly impact any of these scenarios except for testing, who exactly is benefiting from these improvements? As I said, for now Microsoft would be better off investing more time and effort improving accessibility in other areas. Until or unless Microsoft decides to turn it into a full-blown screen reader, these improvements to Narrator which almost no one will use are a waste of effort.

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

TerriLynne

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Veronica Kirk

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos

2. I never use Narrator

Vote Now <https://TechTalk.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=137>

Carlos

I'm sure Microsoft already receives more than enough feedback, but like most large corporations they prioritize based on some secret formula unknown to the rest of us which usually has little to do with what consumers are actually requesting. In other words, they hear what they choose to hear and then do what they want to do.

To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 11:45 AM

I wonder if it would be helpful to submit these findings to Microsoft? I know they would not want to hear it. That's life though, sometimes, we need to hear it whether or not we want to. I know from experience.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

So far it seems that the only time anyone uses Narrator is as a backup, for emergencies, to finish setting up Windows, or for testing purposes. Since none of these new features significantly impact any of these scenarios except for testing, who exactly is benefiting from these improvements? As I said, for now Microsoft would be better off investing more time and effort improving accessibility in other areas. Until or unless Microsoft decides to turn it into a full-blown screen reader, these improvements to Narrator which almost no one will use are a waste of effort.

TerriLynne

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Veronica Kirk

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos

2. I never use Narrator

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>

Hi,
Things are implemented based on upvotes and severity of bugs.
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Monday, July 4, 2016 9:00 AM

I'm sure Microsoft already receives more than enough feedback, but like most large corporations they prioritize based on some secret formula unknown to the rest of us which usually has little to do with what consumers are actually requesting. In other words, they hear what they choose to hear and then do what they want to do.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

TerriLynne

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Veronica Kirk
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator
screen reader? #poll

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Subject: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows Narrator screen
reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Carolyn Arnold

1000 percent right on. It makes sense to them.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Monday, July 4, 2016 12:00 PM

Bye for now,

Carolyn

TerriLynne

screen reader? #poll

reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Carlos

Yes, but who exactly is requesting all of these Narrator improvements? Not just based on this poll, but based on experience I don't believe most blind consumers are using Narrator frequently enough for it to warrant this much attention. Certainly not at the expense of effort which could be invested elsewhere.

Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 12:02 PM

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Bye for now,

Carolyn

TerriLynne

screen reader? #poll

reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi Carlos,
Just a guess, but, people in schools, who have absolutely ideas what we want?

Sent from a BrailleNote

Date sent: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 12:13:04 -0400

Yes, but who exactly is requesting all of these Narrator improvements? Not
just based on this poll, but based on experience I don't believe most blind
consumers are using Narrator frequently enough for it to warrant this much
attention. Certainly not at the expense of effort which could be invested
elsewhere.
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io
screen reader? #poll

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Carlos
screen reader? #poll

I'm sure Microsoft already receives more than enough feedback, but like most
large corporations they prioritize based on some secret formula unknown to
the rest of us which usually has little to do with what consumers are
actually requesting. In other words, they hear what they choose to hear and
then do what they want to do.
screen reader? #poll

I wonder if it would be helpful to submit these findings to Microsoft? I
know they would not want to hear it. That's life though, sometimes, we need
to hear it whether or not we want to. I know from experience.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Carlos
screen reader? #poll

So far it seems that the only time anyone uses Narrator is as a backup, for
emergencies, to finish setting up Windows, or for testing purposes. Since
none of these new features significantly impact any of these scenarios
except for testing, who exactly is benefiting from these improvements? As I
said, for now Microsoft would be better off investing more time and effort
improving accessibility in other areas. Until or unless Microsoft decides
to turn it into a full-blown screen reader, these improvements to Narrator
which almost no one will use are a waste of effort.

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io
screen reader? #poll

I never use Narrator. It drives me crazy. I would rather find someone to
help me or even take it to a business than deal with Narrator.

TerriLynne

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io
screen reader? #poll

reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Vote Now <https://TechTalk.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=137

Carolyn Arnold

It's probably some engineer's justification for his/her job.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Monday, July 4, 2016 12:13 PM

Yes, but who exactly is requesting all of these Narrator improvements? Not just based on this poll, but based on experience I don't believe most blind consumers are using Narrator frequently enough for it to warrant this much attention. Certainly not at the expense of effort which could be invested elsewhere.

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Bye for now,

Carolyn

TerriLynne

screen reader? #poll

reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

Maybe not ultimately on Windows, but it is very likely the narrator research and development might be targeted for platforms other than desktops such as tablets and phones. In other words, Narrator on the desktop has a huge pool of users, and the R&D resulting from this large group of users can be used on other platforms such as tablets.

JR

Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 9:13 AM

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Bye for now,

Carolyn

TerriLynne

screen reader? #poll

reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

Also, this is how software and R&DD works, not everything researched results
in a new device. At times the technology is used for other purposes, but
just because it doesn't have an immediate use doesn't mean its time, money,
or effort wasted. GPS has existed for decades, but its only relatively
recently that it has become omnipresent on just about all mobile devices.

JR

Rajmund
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 9:16 AM
screen reader? #poll

Hi Carlos,
Just a guess, but, people in schools, who have absolutely ideas what we
want?

Sent from a BrailleNote

screen reader? #poll

elsewhere.
screen reader? #poll

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Carlos
screen reader? #poll

screen reader? #poll

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Carlos
screen reader? #poll

screen reader? #poll

I never use Narrator. It drives me crazy. I would rather find
someone to

TerriLynne

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows
Narrator
screen reader? #poll

Subject: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows
Narrator screen
reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Carlos

Except for the fact that on tablets running full-blown versions of Windows 10, which seems to be all of them at the moment, you can run any screen reader you like so you are not dependent on Narrator.

Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 12:35 PM

Maybe not ultimately on Windows, but it is very likely the narrator research and development might be targeted for platforms other than desktops such as tablets and phones. In other words, Narrator on the desktop has a huge pool of users, and the R&D resulting from this large group of users can be used on other platforms such as tablets.

JR

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Bye for now,

Carolyn

TerriLynne

screen reader? #poll

reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Carlos

GPS has massive applications in the consumer market in general. It is not really comparable to improvements in Narrator. Even before GPS became so hugely mainstream, it's development was driven by use for the military.

Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 12:39 PM

Also, this is how software and R&DD works, not everything researched results
in a new device. At times the technology is used for other purposes, but
just because it doesn't have an immediate use doesn't mean its time, money,
or effort wasted. GPS has existed for decades, but its only relatively
recently that it has become omnipresent on just about all mobile devices.

JR

Rajmund
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 9:16 AM
screen reader? #poll

Hi Carlos,
Just a guess, but, people in schools, who have absolutely ideas what we
want?

Sent from a BrailleNote

screen reader? #poll

elsewhere.
screen reader? #poll

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Carlos
screen reader? #poll

screen reader? #poll

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Carlos
screen reader? #poll

screen reader? #poll

I never use Narrator. It drives me crazy. I would rather find
someone to

TerriLynne

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows
Narrator
screen reader? #poll

Subject: [TechTalk] How frequently do you use the Windows
Narrator screen
reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Carlos

Although I could see how it might benefit Mobile Windows phone user since you won't be able to run any screen reader in that case.

Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 12:41 PM

Except for the fact that on tablets running full-blown versions of Windows 10, which seems to be all of them at the moment, you can run any screen reader you like so you are not dependent on Narrator.

JR

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Bye for now,

Carolyn

TerriLynne

screen reader? #poll

reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Norman

Hi.

Actually, you can run narator on windows phone.

On 7/4/2016 12:53 PM, Carlos wrote:
Although I could see how it might benefit Mobile Windows phone user since you won't be able to run any screen reader in that case.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy" <jeremy.richards7@gmail.com>

JR

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Bye for now,

Carolyn

TerriLynne

screen reader? #poll

reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Carlos

Yes, that was my point. I could see how it might be useful in that case since you could not run any of the major screen readers like JAWS, Window Eyes, and NVDA.

Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 2:21 PM

Hi.

Actually, you can run narator on windows phone.

On 7/4/2016 12:53 PM, Carlos wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy" <jeremy.richards7@gmail.com>

JR

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Bye for now,

Carolyn

TerriLynne

screen reader? #poll

reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Norman

Hi.

Personally, i'm glad to see narator improvements. It's yet another option.

I don't use it on my pc, but if it ever gets good enough i may seriously consider switching to windows phone from android.

I would really like features like continuom and some of the things along that line that ms is doing.

In addition, This would make yet another accessible platform that i can use.

Who knows, maybe some day narator will become to windows what voice over is on the mac and all the other screen readers get sidelined because they aren't keeping up.

On 7/4/2016 12:13 PM, Carlos wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Bye for now,

Carolyn

TerriLynne

screen reader? #poll

reader? #poll

2. I never use Narrator

Norman

I think if you could find the right person to submit them to it might.

@msftaccess on twitter seems to be a good starting point.

On 7/4/2016 11:45 AM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:

Bye for now,

Carolyn

TerriLynne

2. I never use Narrator