From: "Joe Giovanelli" <joegio1@...>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2016 7:21 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] copying file names

Hello,

Thanks to you good people on Techtalk, I have extracted more than 2,000 MIDI files.

I'll need to create a database which will give me the folder names and the names of each MIDI file within each one.

Is there a way to copy all the file names without copying the files themselves.

I have to say that the thought of retyping all those names is more than daunting.

As before, I thank you for your thoughts with this one.

Joe Giovanelli

Joe Giovanelli

Hi, Carlos,

Thank you for the info about File Lister.

No matter what I try, I am unable to download the File Lister program. Unless you have another idea, I cannot get the program.

If you have it, can you possibly put in Dropbox and I'll get from there?

Joe Giovanelli

Filelister - Save a list of files in a folder
http://truehumandesign.se/s_filelister.php

LS - File List Generator
http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/util/miscutil.html
Thanks to you good people on Techtalk, I have extracted more than 2,000
MIDI files.

I'll need to create a database which will give me the folder names and the
names of each MIDI file within each one.

Is there a way to copy all the file names without copying the files
themselves.

I have to say that the thought of retyping all those names is more than
daunting.

As before, I thank you for your thoughts with this one.

Joe Giovanelli

com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If you want to view a list of resources and freeware, visit the Tech Talk Wiki:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/wiki/List-of-resources-and-freeware

You can also view/download the list from the "files" section:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/files

To review a list of posting guidelines, go to:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/wiki/Posting-Guidelines

Note that the Wiki is public so can be viewed by anyone without the need to login with a password. The "files" section cannot be made public so can only be accessed by members and requires you to login.

To join this group, send an email to:
TechTalk+subscribe@groups.io

To send a message to this group, send the message to:
main@TechTalk.groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Webggeasend an email to:
TechTalk+nomail@groups.io

To receive message digests instead of individual messages send an email to:
TechTalk+digest@groups.io

To receive individual messages instead of digests, send an email to:
TechTalk+single@groups.io

If you want to discuss anything non-tech related, please move the conversation to our chat subgroup.

To join the chat subgroup, send a message to:
TechTalk+chat+subscribe@groups.io

To unsubscribe from the chat subgroup:

To message the chat subgroup:
chat@TechTalk.groups.io

To set the chat subgroup to "no mail":
TechTalk+chat+nomail@groups.io

To enable mail for the chat subgroup:
TechTalk+chat+single@groups.io
or
TechTalk+chat+digest@groups.io
com=-=-
Groups.io Links:

Mute This Thread: https://groups.io/mt/2192889?uid=11729

Group Home: https://TechTalk.groups.io/g/main
Contact Group Owner: main+owner@TechTalk.groups.io
com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[...]

Hello, Carlos,

I downloaded File Lister. I was able to selct a folder but the summary didn't list file names. It shows 0 bytes.

I'm supposed to create a profile. I filled out what I could, but, as I said, I had no luck.

I hate to bother the list but I'm stuck.

Many, many thanks.

Joe Giovanelli

[...]

https://TechTalk.groups.io/g/main/message/27617
Mute This Thread: https://groups.io/mt/2192889?uid=11729

Change Your Subscription:
https://TechTalk.groups.io/g/main/editsub?uid=11729

[...]

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Webgg1send an email to:
[...]

Did you try the other utility I posted LS - File List Generator? It is probably a bit more straight forward. Here is the direct download link.
http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/util/files/ls.zip

[...]

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

What OS is this? Why not just hit the windows key, type in cmd and then use the old, old, but tried and true dir/w

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

Sorry, my command line was faulty. It's been a few years.

cd c:\office
dir/w > filelist

I think that should work. It should unless you use the pipe command. It's been too long!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Carlos

I tend to recommend utilities with a graphical interface if one is available before command line solutions since they often just confuse less advanced users. And the command you are thinking of is
DIR /B /S>FileList.txt

From: Carlos <carlos1106@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Sunday, July 10, 2016 21:48

https://TechTalk.groups.io/g/main/message/27971
[...]

It works on Windows 7. I am running Windows 7 as well. Yes, it opens with focus on the
"Exit"
button. Did you press the tab key to cycle through the other controls in the window?