braille me now for sale

Josh Kennedy

HI,

I was able to call national braille press and buy the new low cost braille me display. what is the difference between orbit reader20 and braille me? Below is a list.

The price: orbit20 costs $474 from american printing house for the blind that includes shipping. without shipping it is $449. Braille me costs $499 plus $16 shipping from national braille press. you have to call them and ask to purchase it so far.

refresh rate: orbit20 can take up to half a second or so to refresh its line of 8 dot 20 braille cells. braille me refreshes instantly just like the older piezoelectric displays.

cursor router buttons: orbit20 does not have cursor router buttons. braille me does in fact have cursor router buttons. So if you need a low cost braille device with cursor router buttons, go for braille me.

cursor: orbit20 shows its cursor with dots 7-8. braille me shows its cursor with either a full cell, dots 1-2-3-4-5-6. or by blinking the unused dots in the cell. like if you have the letter a with the cursor under it. dot 1 stays up, while dots 2-3-4-5-6 blink up and down.

files: braille me only accepts up to a 32gig sd card, only accept .txt brf and brl files. txt and brl files are editable. brf are read only. no size limit on read only brf files. 100kb size limit or about 1000 25 line line 40 cell braille page limit for braille me note taker for each file. but you can always make new editable brl files.

folders: orbit20 supports making new folders while braille me does not.

bookmarks: orbit20 lets you add your own bookmarks. braille me does not not yet but should be in a future update.

autoscroll: orbit20 does not have autoscroll, braille me does have this.

built in translator: orbit20 does not have a built in grade2 translator and back translator. braille me contains its own built in forward and back translators for multiple languages.

size: I hear braille me is a little bigger than orbit20 is... I am excited to try the braille me so i can compare it to the orbit20 and see which is my personal favorite. I bought my braille me a few hours ago and just got the UPS shipping notification an hour or so ago with the tracking number. So now we got two low cost displays out there. orbit20 and braille me.

Both orbit20 and braille me are great choices! Now you just have to ask yourself, which one do I want according to my personal needs? This is not to start a my display is better than your is, flame war on here… Its just to let you know hey braille me is out there, if you want it go call nbp and buy it. Nbp is national braille press.

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Charles Adkins

Could you do me a favor and let me know how quiet the Braille me is when the braille display refreshes? I have heard reviews of the orbit and for use in an on air or recording studio the Orbit is way to noisy.

Thanks.

On Jun 19, 2018, at 7:19 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

[...]

yes, once i get ;the braille me, I will let you know how loud or quiet it is when refreshing.

Rick Alfaro

Thanks Josh, great info. Please report back to us once you have had a chance to compare both displays side by side. A podcast or audio recording if you can do one would be awesome so we can hear both displays in action. I know the Orbit seems to be quite noisy so curious how it compares to the BrailleMe in that respect. Thanks.

Best,

Rick Alfaro

Best,

Rick Alfaro

[...]

Mary Otten <maryotten@...>

Do either of these devices have that capability of pairing via Bluetooth with another device such as an iPhone?
Mary

On Jun 20, 2018, at 4:36 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

yes, once i get ;the braille me, I will let you know how loud or quiet it is when refreshing.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Yes, both of them do, in fact, that's the whole blessed point!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Yes, both of them do, in fact, that's the whole blessed point!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Mary Otten <maryotten@...>

Well, I thought so, but it wasn’t mentioned in that bunch of specifications that was posted. And it’s not quite the whole point, since both do have the capability of storing files that you can put on there with card. I think for some people that might be the main attraction.

On Jun 20, 2018, at 8:42 AM, Ann Parsons <akp@sero.email> wrote:

Hi all,

Yes, both of them do, in fact, that's the whole blessed point!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Donald L. Roberts

If this has already been mentioned, I apologize for duplicate info.

Regarding Braille Me, Mystic Access recently did a comparison of the Orbit 20 and Braille Me. Granted, the two demos purchased by Mystic Access were beta units, and firmware upgrades were pending at the time of the presentation, however the Braille Me was definitely not ready for prime time. This may well have changed because I cannot believe that National Braille Press would knowingly sell a poorly functioning unit. Also, the Mystic Access units were purchased directly from India.

I am assuming that the Braille Me problems have been resolved, but I just wanted to post a cautionary note.

Don Roberts

On 6/20/2018 8:33 AM, Rick Alfaro wrote:

[...]

Victor

Hi everyone:

Yes, it is definitely important to have a braille display that is quiet. Those of us who work with producing various forms of audio need a quiet braille display that won’t make annoying sounds while producing that audio. Others will want quiet braille displays so that they can read silently in various situations.

I am looking forward to observing how these low cost braille displays catch on with the blind community. I am also looking forward to observing how VFO and other companies that make products for the blind will respond to the production and popularity of low-cost braille displays. Will VFL and others lower their prices? It will be interesting to observe what they do.

Victor

On Jun 20, 2018, at 9:20 AM, Donald L. Roberts <donald.roberts99@...> wrote:

[...]

Mich Verrier

Hi all I have herd the refreshing of the orbit and would be interested in hearing how the braille me refreshiss since I tend to agree with others that the orbit sounds very noizey for shure. From mich.

[...]

I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of the noise factor of the Orbit refresh. I own one and am not at all bothered by the refresh sound which is not at all intrusive. I have heard podcasts of the Orbits refresh, and the mic gain was very high when recorded such that one could easily hear the air conditioner fan in the background which was appreciably louder than the Orbit refreshing.
I am not saying you can't hear it, rather that its alleged noise level is exaggerated in my opinion.
Just my opinion.

Don Roberts

On 6/20/2018 11:22 AM, Mich Verrier wrote:

[...]

Donald, disagree all you wish, but I make my living in a broadcast environment and in sound booths and recording studios doing voice work and I will tell you, the refeshing of the display is way to noisy to be used in a studio. With some mics that some studios use you have to be careful where you put braille paper you're using to read coppy because of the noice of fingers going over the braille. I am speeking from experience believe me and not trying to knock a product.

On Jun 20, 2018, at 4:20 PM, Donald L. Roberts <donald.roberts99@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Charles:

It’s very interesting that you bring up the noise of braille displays in recording studios and other audio environments where you are producing these things. When I first began my career in radio broadcasting, that was a concern of mine as well. I currently use the focus 40 blue braille display, first generation and it’s pretty quiet when I am on the air live. I am considering pursuing a career in voiceover work, audio editing and podcasting. The noise of braille displays is still a concern that I have. Someday I hope to obtain a braille display that will be even quieter than my current focus 40 blue.

If you are interested, I would love to communicate with you off list about your work and mine in our audio careers. Feel free to email me off list.

Victor

On Jun 20, 2018, at 3:03 PM, Charles Adkins <cadkins6739@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles, I understand your point. However, even reading braille regardless of whether from hard copy or refreshable device creates noise in the mic such that it could easily be heard.  Incidentally, I too have spent a fair amount of time in recording and radio studios.

Don Roberts

On 6/20/2018 3:03 PM, Charles Adkins wrote:
[...]

Gene

I don't doubt it.  Years ago, in the prehistoric days when people still used ticking watches, at a station in my area, I could hear the ticking of one announcer's watch during pauses in speech.  Perhaps he had a noisier watch than most or perhaps he placed his wrist too close to the microphone but it was an oddity I recall to this day.

[...]

Eleni Vamvakari

Will either of these displays work with computers via a usb
connection? If so, will they work with Windows XP and 7? Can either
of them be used to read polytonic Greek? I have owned both a Braille
Lite 2000 and an original BrailleNote, and I didn't think that either
of them had a loud display, but I don't work in audio. I was a
student at the time.

<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Gene

Maybe if the material is too close to the microphone.  I doubt it could be heard if it were on your lap and the microphone is at face level.

[...]

Don Risavy, Jr.

Where do you find out more about the Braille Me display as have read on and or checked out the Orbit and would like to read up on this one as am going to be looking at buying a low cost braille note taker and want to be able to check out more then one to see what one wil be the best for the money.

[...]

Cristóbal

This is really getting kind of in the weeds.

I guess it’s good to know in general the loudness of a device when operating it, but something like this is going to be item 16854684135 down the list of things that the vast majority of potential buyers are going to concern themselves with.