From: Veronica Kirk
Sent: Saturday, Jul 23, 2016 8:37 PM EST
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Upgrading to windows 10

Hi Carlos and list,

I want to upgrade a w-7 computer to windows 10, but since I do not feel
confident enough to do it myself, I am going to have a sighted relative
do it for me. However, she is not really that confident about doing it
either, so what I would like to know is it going to be as simple as just
following the prompts? Also, the programs I have on the windows-7
machine will they be on the windows-10 update? I apologize for these
stupid questions, but all of you on this list are my teachers. Thank
you for all suggestions.

Veronica

Carlos

It should basically be a matter of following the prompts. You will be given the choice of keeping the programs you have installed during the upgrade process. And if you are running JAWS, you should follow the instructions here
https://www.freedomscientific.com/support/TechnicalSupport/Windows10Upgrade
before you proceed with the upgrade.

Make sure you have the latest version of your screen reader and check to see if they have any advice for upgrading to Windows 10.

For example, Window-eyes 9.1 or earlier will not run on Windows 10, I think the same holds true for JAWS 15 or below.
If you are running NVDA, you probably have the latest version.

I want to upgrade a w-7 computer to windows 10, but since I do not feel
confident enough to do it myself, I am going to have a sighted relative
do it for me. However, she is not really that confident about doing it
either, so what I would like to know is it going to be as simple as just
following the prompts? Also, the programs I have on the windows-7
machine will they be on the windows-10 update? I apologize for these
stupid questions, but all of you on this list are my teachers. Thank
you for all suggestions.

Veronica

Carolyn Arnold

Right about JAWS 15 or below.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I want to upgrade a w-7 computer to windows 10, but since I
do not feel confident enough to do it myself, I am going to
have a sighted relative do it for me. However, she is not
really that confident about doing it either, so what I would
like to know is it going to be as simple as just following
the prompts? Also, the programs I have on the windows-7
machine will they be on the windows-10 update? I apologize
for these stupid questions, but all of you on this list are
my teachers. Thank you for all suggestions.

Veronica

Flor Lynch

Jaws16 latest version, is the earliest supported version of JAWS with Windows10.

I want to upgrade a w-7 computer to windows 10, but since I
do not feel confident enough to do it myself, I am going to
have a sighted relative do it for me. However, she is not
really that confident about doing it either, so what I would
like to know is it going to be as simple as just following
the prompts? Also, the programs I have on the windows-7
machine will they be on the windows-10 update? I apologize
for these stupid questions, but all of you on this list are
my teachers. Thank you for all suggestions.

Veronica

Carlos

Specifically, starting with JAWS 16.0.4350.

Jaws16 latest version, is the earliest supported version of JAWS with Windows10.

I want to upgrade a w-7 computer to windows 10, but since I
do not feel confident enough to do it myself, I am going to
have a sighted relative do it for me. However, she is not
really that confident about doing it either, so what I would
like to know is it going to be as simple as just following
the prompts? Also, the programs I have on the windows-7
machine will they be on the windows-10 update? I apologize
for these stupid questions, but all of you on this list are
my teachers. Thank you for all suggestions.

Veronica

Veronica Kirk

Thank you all for the help with upgrading. Carlos, I actually burned a CD
today using the instructions you sent with CDBurnerXP. You are a great
teacher.

Veronica

Specifically, starting with JAWS 16.0.4350.
Jaws16 latest version, is the earliest supported version of JAWS with
Windows10.

I want to upgrade a w-7 computer to windows 10, but since I
do not feel confident enough to do it myself, I am going to
have a sighted relative do it for me. However, she is not
really that confident about doing it either, so what I would
like to know is it going to be as simple as just following
the prompts? Also, the programs I have on the windows-7
machine will they be on the windows-10 update? I apologize
for these stupid questions, but all of you on this list are
my teachers. Thank you for all suggestions.

Veronica

Carlos

LOL really? I don't think I've ever been told that before, but thank you for the kind words Veronica. I can write decent instructions, but I don't believe I would make a very good teacher.

Specifically, starting with JAWS 16.0.4350.
Jaws16 latest version, is the earliest supported version of JAWS with
Windows10.

I want to upgrade a w-7 computer to windows 10, but since I
do not feel confident enough to do it myself, I am going to
have a sighted relative do it for me. However, she is not
really that confident about doing it either, so what I would
like to know is it going to be as simple as just following
the prompts? Also, the programs I have on the windows-7
machine will they be on the windows-10 update? I apologize
for these stupid questions, but all of you on this list are
my teachers. Thank you for all suggestions.

Veronica

Kimsan

Stop being so moddest, you rule, my gangsta.

Kimsan Song
kimsansong@...

[...]

Your instructions do teach. If you give instructions, all
one has to do is follow them, and mission accomplished!

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi Carlos,
We're all here to learn from one and another, and I hope that this won't change anytime soon. We all know, or have something, that someone will not have.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

----- Original Message ----- From: "Veronica Kirk" <veronicaa.kirk@...>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@...>

-----Original Message----- From: Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2016 2:04 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Right about JAWS 15 or below.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I want to upgrade a w-7 computer to windows 10, but since I
do not feel confident enough to do it myself, I am going to
have a sighted relative do it for me.  However, she is not
really that confident about doing it either, so what I would
like to know is it going to be as simple as just following
the prompts?  Also, the programs I have on the windows-7
machine will they be on the windows-10 update?  I apologize
for these stupid questions, but all of you on this list are
my teachers.  Thank you for all suggestions.

Veronica

Monica Jones

Veronica, if these questions are stupid, and they are not, I would be as stupid as you. I’m not sure of the right way to go about it. I hear there are instructions on the Jaws web site for doing it with Jaws, and I’m going to check that out. I don’t have any sight help either so it makes me a little shaky as well. However, most of my friends who are blind say it worked well for them. My sister lives with me but she is computer illiterate.

Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2016 7:37 PM

Hi Carlos and list,

I want to upgrade a w-7 computer to windows 10, but since I do not feel confident enough to do it myself, I am going to have a sighted relative do it for me.  However, she is not really that confident about doing it either, so what I would like to know is it going to be as simple as just following the prompts?  Also, the programs I have on the windows-7 machine will they be on the windows-10 update?  I apologize for these stupid questions, but all of you on this list are my teachers.  Thank you for all suggestions.

Veronica

Monni, the coffee gal
Twitter, @Monni52

Facebook, Monica Rose Jones

Monica Jones

Carlos, thank you for the Jaws link. If I do a search for the words, windows ten, I suppose this will give me a link for he install? thanks bunches.

[...]

Hi Monica,
I'm not quite sure what you mean by a link for the install. You can upgrade using either the "Get Windows 10" tray notification offered via Windows updates or with the Media Creation Tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Although most users seem to have had more success upgrading using the "Get Windows 10" method.

[...]

Lol, Carlos, I really didn't know what I meant either, but thank you. I no longer have the get windows thing in my system tray. Someone sent a script a while back that would remove it from the registry. I probably need to use the reverse script to get it back in there. I think you might have sent it but I'm not sure. I have no idea how to get started with the .iso image file or the Media Creation thing. Can I just install from that image file or do I have to burn it to the DVD? I'm assuming I do have to burn it. I figure it's about time I upgraded, yet, as I said, I'm leary since I don't have adequate sighted help.

[...]

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>

Hi,
You don't technically need an ISO to upgrade via Media Creation Tool. The
steps are as follows:
1. If possible, make a backup of your data (programs, installers, documents,
etc.).
2. Download latest version of your screen reader (in case of JAWS for
Windows, use the removal tool from Freedom Scientific to remove old JAWS
releases).
3. Download Media Creation Tool and run it.
4. Unless the option has changed, select "Upgrade this PC".
5. Select what to keep (keep everything or remove all).
6. Wait for some time (typically half an hour ormore).
7. after a while, press Windows+U to start Ease of Access, then select
Narrator.
8. If Narrator comes up talking, follow the prompt to finish setup (I and
others recommend using custom settings so you can turn off unnecessary
things).
9. After a while your screen reader or Narrator will come up talking.
10. For Anniversary Update and other builds: no need to invoke Narrator, as
the upgrade process is automatic.

Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

A couple of applications have been posted on the list to disable the notification. Never10
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
and GWX Control Panel.
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
I'm not sure which one you used, but both can be used to re-enable the notification as well. Although it might not necessarily reappear immediately.

[...]

I think the second one is the one I used. I'm sue I saved it, but thanks for resending these in case.

[...]

Thank you, Joseph, this is very helpful.