Topics

Printing Envelopes

Gerald Levy

Good morning, gang.  Can anyone suggest an easy-to-use free program for printing envelopes that is accessible with JAWS?  Thanks.

Gerald

George Basioli <gbmagoo@...>

If you have Microsoft word or excel you can do it.

Write me and I will tell you how.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 03:46
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Printing Envelopes

Good morning, gang.  Can anyone suggest an easy-to-use free program for printing envelopes that is accessible with JAWS?  Thanks.

Gerald

Gerald Levy

Forget MS Word.  What about using Notepad?  I understand that it can be used to print envelopes by changing a few settings on the Page SetUp dialog of the File menu, but I’m not really sure how to do this. I just need a quick and easy way to printan envelope once in a blue moon when I need to return an application or form, which is very infrequently.

Gerald

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 7:31 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Printing Envelopes

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy

Gerald

Carolyn Arnold

Gerald, I have Office 2013 and JAWS with Windows 10.

I created my own envelope file.

1. Open Word.
2. Set Landscape.
3. Clear all tabs.
4. Name document.
5. Save.

It works for me.

If you find out that it can be done as easily as it was in
Windows 98 and XP. I would appreciate knowing. Otherwise, I
can get by.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 6:46 AM

Good morning, gang. Can anyone suggest an easy-to-use free
program for printing envelopes that is accessible with JAWS?
Thanks.

Gerald

Open note pad

Go to file and page setup

In the first list box choose the envelope you wish like envelope#10 this is the standred envelope that is used for 8.5 x 11 paper folded into 3rds.

Tab to the next list box and choose which way you would like the printer to access the envelope I choose manual load where you if your printer supports it you feed the envelope into a slot before you hit the pring button.

Leave the margens as they are do not change.

Then save this as a  file and title it envelope #10 or what ever kind you set it for.

Now when you need to print an envelope just open the file and enter your info

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 05:01

Forget MS Word.  What about using Notepad?  I understand that it can be used to print envelopes by changing a few settings on the Page SetUp dialog of the File menu, but I’m not really sure how to do this. I just need a quick and easy way to printan envelope once in a blue moon when I need to return an application or form, which is very infrequently.

Gerald

Gerald

Carolyn Arnold

Thank you so much. I will be so glad to be able to use the regular envelope set up.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of George B
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 8:53 AM

Open note pad
In the first list box choose the envelope you wish like envelope#10 this is the standred envelope that is used for 8.5 x 11 paper folded into 3rds.
Tab to the next list box and choose which way you would like the printer to access the envelope I choose manual load where you if your printer supports it you feed the envelope into a slot before you hit the pring button.

Then save this as a file and title it envelope #10 or what ever kind you set it for.

Forget MS Word. What about using Notepad? I understand that it can be used to print envelopes by changing a few settings on the Page SetUp dialog of the File menu, but I’m not really sure how to do this. I just need a quick and easy way to printan envelope once in a blue moon when I need to return an application or form, which is very infrequently.

Gerald

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Good morning, gang. Can anyone suggest an easy-to-use free program for printing envelopes that is accessible with JAWS? Thanks.

Gerald

Gerald Levy

One more thing.  In the Page SetUp dialog, doesn’t the page orientation, which is set to Portrait by default need to be changed to landscape for envelope printing?

Gerald

Open note pad

Then save this as a  file and title it envelope #10 or what ever kind you set it for.

Gerald

Gerald

No it depends on what kind of printer you have for example my hp 2605 laser feed choice 2 is a slot in the front of the printer and the envelope goes in there portrate and they also go portrate if I load a tray with them.

You need to see how your printer wants the envelope to print then choose that one

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 06:51

One more thing.  In the Page SetUp dialog, doesn’t the page orientation, which is set to Portrait by default need to be changed to landscape for envelope printing?

Gerald

Open note pad

Then save this as a  file and title it envelope #10 or what ever kind you set it for.

Gerald

Gerald

Gerald Levy

On my Samsung ML2010 laser printer, there is a separate slot for inserting envelopes the long way with the flap on the right facing down.  My understanding is that if an envelope is inserted the long way, orientation should be set to landscape , right?

Gerald

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 10:07 AM

No it depends on what kind of printer you have for example my hp 2605 laser feed choice 2 is a slot in the front of the printer and the envelope goes in there portrate and they also go portrate if I load a tray with them.

You need to see how your printer wants the envelope to print then choose that one

Gerald

Open note pad

Then save this as a  file and title it envelope #10 or what ever kind you set it for.

Gerald

Gerald

Mike Thomas

Hi Gerald,  I've looked and looked for a similar program.  I had a copy of Office 97, and it has a envelope printer in there that works well.  I don't know if you can find a copy on eBay or another source or not, but it does the job one envelope at a time.

----- Original Message -----

Gerald

Yes sir good catch sory about the mistake thanks

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 07:13

On my Samsung ML2010 laser printer, there is a separate slot for inserting envelopes the long way with the flap on the right facing down.  My understanding is that if an envelope is inserted the long way, orientation should be set to landscape , right?

Gerald

Gerald

Open note pad

Gerald

Gerald

All the office suites have a envelope printer built into word but he said no word wanted to use not pad so that is why he got the directions I gave him

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Thomas
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 07:32

Hi Gerald,  I've looked and looked for a similar program.  I had a copy of Office 97, and it has a envelope printer in there that works well.  I don't know if you can find a copy on eBay or another source or not, but it does the job one envelope at a time.

Gerald

Carolyn Arnold

My printer for envelopes is Landscape. I took an envelope to see if I could load it for Portrait, but I could not. I'm glad you brought that up, Gerald, because back with my old system, the envelope program was defaulted to Landscape.

My check file is for Landscape. One would fit for Portrait, but we already have the file set this way, plus it is way easier to line it up in Landscape configuration.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of George B

One more thing. In the Page SetUp dialog, doesn’t the page orientation, which is set to Portrait by default need to be changed to landscape for envelope printing?

Gerald

Open note pad

Then save this as a file and title it envelope #10 or what ever kind you set it for.

Forget MS Word. What about using Notepad? I understand that it can be used to print envelopes by changing a few settings on the Page SetUp dialog of the File menu, but I’m not really sure how to do this. I just need a quick and easy way to printan envelope once in a blue moon when I need to return an application or form, which is very infrequently.

Gerald

Good morning, gang. Can anyone suggest an easy-to-use free program for printing envelopes that is accessible with JAWS? Thanks.

Gerald

Carlos

The only accessible standalone application I have found for printing envelopes so far is one called Envelope Printer Lite.
When the program first opens, it always places focus in the edit field for typing the delivery address.  If you tab once, focus will be placed in the return address field.  It will remember the return address between sessions after one is typed.  The labels for these two fields are not spoken, but since the program always opens with focus in the delivery address field and the tab key cycles between the delivery and return address fields, this seems like a minor inconvenience.  The program has a standard menu bar which is also accessible.  Note that I have no prior experience with this program, I just found it by performing a quick search.

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 10:31 AM

Gerald

Carolyn Arnold

You are right. If it has to go in long way, it needs to be set for Landscape, because instead of horizontal printing, it will be printed vertically.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 10:13 AM

On my Samsung ML2010 laser printer, there is a separate slot for inserting envelopes the long way with the flap on the right facing down. My understanding is that if an envelope is inserted the long way, orientation should be set to landscape , right?

Gerald

One more thing. In the Page SetUp dialog, doesn’t the page orientation, which is set to Portrait by default need to be changed to landscape for envelope printing?

Gerald

Open note pad

Gerald

Gerald

Carlos,

I downloaded the envelope print, and it wants a password to use and I can not see anything in the directions on how why or where or to do with this field and I can not get rid of it.

What do you think?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 07:38

The only accessible standalone application I have found for printing envelopes so far is one called Envelope Printer Lite.

When the program first opens, it always places focus in the edit field for typing the delivery address.  If you tab once, focus will be placed in the return address field.  It will remember the return address between sessions after one is typed.  The labels for these two fields are not spoken, but since the program always opens with focus in the delivery address field and the tab key cycles between the delivery and return address fields, this seems like a minor inconvenience.  The program has a standard menu bar which is also accessible.  Note that I have no prior experience with this program, I just found it by performing a quick search.

Gerald

Carlos

I did notice that the two edit fields do in fact say "password".  My suspicion is that it is somehow detecting a text label which is intended for the registration process if you decide to purchase the paid edition.  However, despite the fact that JAWS is saying "password", these are in actuality the delivery and return address edit fields.

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 11:14 AM

Carlos,

I downloaded the envelope print, and it wants a password to use and I can not see anything in the directions on how why or where or to do with this field and I can not get rid of it.

What do you think?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos

Gerald

Well I tried typing a address and then tried both enter and tab and did not move out of the password field and there is nothing about this in the help under the help menu

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 08:32

I did notice that the two edit fields do in fact say "password".  My suspicion is that it is somehow detecting a text label which is intended for the registration process if you decide to purchase the paid edition.  However, despite the fact that JAWS is saying "password", these are in actuality the delivery and return address edit fields.

Carlos,

What do you think?

Gerald

Carlos

Yes as I said, the edit fields will continue to say "password", but you can use these fields to type the delivery and return addresses.  There is nowhere else to move.  Once you have typed the addresses, just press Control P or select
"Print"
from the
"File"
menu.

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 11:36 AM

Well I tried typing a address and then tried both enter and tab and did not move out of the password field and there is nothing about this in the help under the help menu

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 08:32

Carlos,

What do you think?

Gerald

Gerald Levy

I just downloaded Envelope Printer Lite and discovered two major problems. First, when you type a delivery address into the first edit field, JAWS announces “*” each time a character is typed, as if a password is being entered, which makes it difficult and confusing to enter the address correctly.  You would have to type the entire address and then go back and proofread it for mistakes, which is a real nuisance.  There does not seem to be any way to change this behavior so that JAWS announces each character and word normally as they are being typed. Secondly, the delivery address is limited to four lines, which is a problem if the adressee is a business address which can often contain five or even six lines.  Looks like I’ll pass on  this one.

Gerald

Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 10:38 AM

When the program first opens, it always places focus in the edit field for typing the delivery address.  If you tab once, focus will be placed in the return address field.  It will remember the return address between sessions after one is typed.  The labels for these two fields are not spoken, but since the program always opens with focus in the delivery address field and the tab key cycles between the delivery and return address fields, this seems like a minor inconvenience.  The program has a standard menu bar which is also accessible.  Note that I have no prior experience with this program, I just found it by performing a quick search.

Gerald