Topics

How to create a dropbox share folder

Fanus

Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Avast logo

Steve Matzura

Log in to your Dropbox account, find the directory or file you want to share, and activate the "Share" link. Of course, if you want to share a file that's inside a directory, you have to open that directory first, locate the file, then activate "Share." . Next, enter the email address of the person with whom you want to share the file or directory, type an optional message, and activate the "Share" button.

HTH

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Gene

You don't have to use your account, as I recall.  I looked at this quite some time ago.  Open the Drop Box files and folders list on your computer.  Find the folder you want to work with.  Open the context menu and look around.  Whenever you want to do things don't just look in the standard menus and at times there may be none.  Look in the context menu.  Things are more likely to be there of this nature.

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How to create a dropbox share folder

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Steve Matzura

 It just occurred to me upon rereading your message that I answered the wrong question. TO create a folder, open Dropbox from the link that's presumably on the Desktop in Windows, or in the Home Screen folder on Mac OS, and create a new  directory in the standard way--File/New/Folder on Windows, Command+Shift+N on Mac OS.

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Gene

I may have answered the wrong question as well.  I was discussing how to share a folder.  I'm not sure if you want to know how to share a folder or how to create one to share.

How do you create a folder in general.  Do the same thing after you open Drop Box and are in the files and folders list.  It's the same interface except for a few more drop box items in the context menu.

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 10:01 AM

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Fanus

Hello Gene
Thanks for the info. Yes, I want to create a folder where I can put files to share with a specific person. What must that person do to create a similar folder so that only me and him can share files which are copied to that folder?
Regards
Fanus

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Avast logo

I don't share folders in Drop Box.  I'm not sure what you want to do.  If you create a folder and share it with one person, than as far as I know that person can put material in the folder as well.  If the person creates a folder and shares it with you, it works the same way, as far as I know.  It doesn't matter who creates and shares the folder.

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Avast logo

Fanus

Ok, perhaps the word “share” is not the correct term. Some time ago a friend  created a folder and it appears in my dropbox as well. When he copies stuff to that folder on his pc it gets uploaded and downloaded into that folder on my pc, and when I copy files to the folder on my pc it uploads and downloads into his dropbox subfolder, so it is not necessary for him to create a link and email every time. I want to do this between me and another friend but I do not know how to do this. It sounds that the suggestion to log into dropbox and do the process might be the correct way.
Regards
Fanus

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Avast logo

Rich De Steno <ironrock@...>

Go to your Dropbox folder from your Desktop, as you would normally

Create a new folder that you want to share with control-shift-n, as you would create any new folder

Highlight the new folder name and press your applications key

Arrow down to "share" and press Enter

Follow the prompts to insert the email address of the person with whom you want to share

That person will receive an invitation by email

Rich De Steno
On 8/9/2018 7:04 AM, Fanus wrote:

Ok, perhaps the word �share� is not the correct term. Some time ago a friend� created a folder and it appears in my dropbox as well. When he copies stuff to that folder on his pc it gets uploaded and downloaded into that folder on my pc, and when I copy files to the folder on my pc it uploads and downloads into his dropbox subfolder, so it is not necessary for him to create a link and email every time. I want to do this between me and another friend but I do not know how to do this. It sounds that the suggestion to log into dropbox and do the process might be the correct way.
Regards
Fanus
�
�
�

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus
�

Avast logo

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

I think all you need to do is create the folder in your own dropbox, then you go onto the dropbox site and hit the "share" button and you're taken to a diolog where you can put in the email address of your friend's dropbox account or his username. The folder is automagically created in his dropbox folder on his computer. It's just that simple.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

Find or create the folder you want to share then, when you are at the folder, not on it, open the context menu and see what options are there.  I haven't shared folders but you are contemplating working with the site as a first option.  It is more complex and time consuming than trying my method, if it works.

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Avast logo

Steve Matzura

Gene,

There are no other Dropbox-related choices on the context menu for a Dropbox folder than "Copy Dropbox link" and "View on dropbox.com." If one wants to share a Dropbox folder with another person, a visit to the Dropbox Website and a login to one's account is an absolute requirement, which of course can be accomplished by activating the aforementioned view-on link..

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:32 AM

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Gene

I don't know why the option isn't available in your application.  It should be.  I just went online with my Windows 7 machine, opened the application, found a folder, and checked.

In the context menu, are two items, share and share with.

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:02 AM

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:32 AM

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Angelo Sonnesso

I just did it with Windows 10.

There was no share with, but when you press enter on the share option it asks you who you want to share with, you put in the email address tab to the share button and press enter.

73 N2DYN Angelo

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:02 AM

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:32 AM

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:

Hello listers

Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.

Regards

Fanus

Steve Matzura

Now *that*, sir, is a darn good question. I wonder if it's a Windows 7 v 10 thing. Now you mention it, I remember those items being on the menu back then.

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:02 AM

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:32 AM

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Steve Matzura

It never used to work that way. This is new and welcome behavior. The dialog's accessibility needs a bitta work, but otherwise, yes, it does work as advertised.

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:02 AM

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:32 AM

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:

Hello listers

Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.

Regards

Fanus

_._,_._,_

Gene

I don't see why the version of Windows would matter.  I've seen occasions where someone would report a problem to a list I follow where they didn't see all the items that should be in the Drop Box context menu such as share but I don't recall anyone ever providing an answer or a solution.

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 9:15 AM

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:02 AM

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:32 AM

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:
Hello listers
Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.
Regards
Fanus

Steve Matzura

I tried it, and because the dialog's acessibility needs serious work, could not do anything with it, so back to the Website I went and got it done on the first try.

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:02 AM

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:32 AM

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:02 AM

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:32 AM

On 8/8/2018 6:06 AM, Fanus wrote:

Hello listers

Can someone please explain the steps for creating a dropbox folder which I can use to share its contents with a specific person? I looked through the menus but I can not find an option to create such a folder.

Regards

Fanus

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Well, now I find that dropbox won't run under win xp.  Is there a way I can trick it into running?

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:02 AM