Topics

google chrome bookmarks

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

Is there a shorter way to access google chrome bookmarks than going through the menu?  Also, when I converted to chrome from IE I imported my favorites so is there a way to combine those favorites with the sites that I've bookmarked in chrome so that they're all in the same place?

Thanks, I had a chrome tutorial that I went through to set it up but it really didn't go into what I'm asking about here.

Troy

Gene

Do it the easy way.  You'll never have to worry about where book marks are again.  Go to the address bar, control l.
Experiment.  Type part or all of a book mark's name.  Experiment and see what gives you the best results with the least amount of typing as a general rule for book marks.
After you type whatever you want to type, down arrow.  You won't actually see the name of the book mark but you will see the page.  You may not always see it first, but if you are going to see it, you will usually see it in the first two or maybe three suggestions.

If you see something else, first look down one or two more times from the first result.  For example, if you search for something like new york times today's paper or maybe just today's paper, you may see just the new york times site first.  Down arrowing once or twice should show you the Today's Paper address.

Gene
----- Original Message -----    

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 8:02 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] google chrome bookmarks

Hi all,

Is there a shorter way to access google chrome bookmarks than going
through the menu?  Also, when I converted to chrome from IE I imported
my favorites so is there a way to combine those favorites with the sites
that I've bookmarked in chrome so that they're all in the same place?

Thanks, I had a chrome tutorial that I went through to set it up but it
really didn't go into what I'm asking about here.

Troy

David Moore

Wow, Thanks, Gene!

That is a great idea.

I never thought of that.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 10:48 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] google chrome bookmarks

Do it the easy way.  You'll never have to worry about where book marks are again.  Go to the address bar, control l.

Experiment.  Type part or all of a book mark's name.  Experiment and see what gives you the best results with the least amount of typing as a general rule for book marks.

After you type whatever you want to type, down arrow.  You won't actually see the name of the book mark but you will see the page.  You may not always see it first, but if you are going to see it, you will usually see it in the first two or maybe three suggestions.

If you see something else, first look down one or two more times from the first result.  For example, if you search for something like new york times today's paper or maybe just today's paper, you may see just the new york times site first.  Down arrowing once or twice should show you the Today's Paper address.

Gene

Hi all,

Troy

Gene

rI don't remember where I saw it but a member of one of the lists I'm on discussed it perhaps two or three months ago.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2018 5:19 AM

Wow, Thanks, Gene!

That is a great idea.

I never thought of that.

David Moore

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 10:48 PM

Gene

To: Tech Talk

Hi all,

Troy

Troy Burnham

I'll try this but in some cases I don't remember the names of my bookmarks if it's something that I don't use often but just save in case I want to go back to it in the future.

Troy

On 8/10/2018 9:48 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Hi all,

Troy

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Chris G

In those cases you can use the bookmark menu.

Chris

On 8/11/2018 3:41 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:

I'll try this but in some cases I don't remember the names of my bookmarks if it's something that I don't use often but just save in case I want to go back to it in the future.

Troy

Gene

Hi all,

Troy

Troy Burnham

Is there a quick way to get to the bookmark menu?  According to the tutorial I read I have to go into the menu with the alt key then arrow down and then right arrow and I think down again.  Is there a hot key I can use?

Troy

On 8/11/2018 3:14 PM, Chris G wrote:

Chris

Troy

Gene

Hi all,

Troy

David Moore

Yes!

To get into the bookmarks of Chrome, press:

CTRL+Shift+O

That will open the bookmarks manager, where you can delete them, open them, and so on.

David Moore

Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2018 6:32 PM

Is there a quick way to get to the bookmark menu?  According to the tutorial I read I have to go into the menu with the alt key then arrow down and then right arrow and I think down again.  Is there a hot key I can use?

Troy

Chris

Troy

Gene

Hi all,

Troy

Gene

There is another way I know of beside the menu, the book marks tool bar, but in the little playing around I did with it, I found no advantage except in the case where I move to it and the book mark I'm already on is the one I know I want or I can right or left arrow once or twice and get to the one I want.  Others who have used it more may be able to explain how to use it as a superior method. 

As far as moving all book marks to the same folder, I haven't done any checking to see how that might be done, though I would think you should be able to do this.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2018 2:41 PM

Troy

Gene

Hi all,

Troy

Gene

There isn't a shortcut key.  You can use the command alt f, that is press and hold alt and type f.  That opens the menus.  Then type b, which moves you to book marks,  and press enter. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2018 5:32 PM

Troy

Chris

Troy

Gene

Hi all,

Troy

Gene

How does that compare in efficiency to using the menu just for moving through the bookmarks?

Gene

Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2018 5:38 PM

Yes!

CTRL+Shift+O

That will open the bookmarks manager, where you can delete them, open them, and so on.

David Moore

Troy

Chris

Troy

Gene

To: Tech Talk

Hi all,

Troy

David Moore

Hi Gene!

I forgot to say, that you can search for bookmarks that way as well.

For efficiency, probably not much.

I just wanted to give the user a key command if that makes him or her more comfortable. That is where you have to go to delete bookmarks as well.

So, there is just more you can do in the Bookmarks manager, but it is all up to the user.

Take care, Gene!

David Moore

Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2018 7:03 PM

How does that compare in efficiency to using the menu just for moving through the bookmarks?

Gene

Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2018 5:38 PM

Yes!

CTRL+Shift+O

David Moore

Troy

Chris

Troy

Gene

Hi all,

Troy