new scam, beware

Ann Parsons

Morning all,

I just got a new scam! Life is so fun! This one starts out with a sad sob storry about somebody who is broke, and her sister has to have a gall bladder operation, and the money has to be paid to the doctor immediately.

Of course this is complete and utter rot. The hospital would bill the patient and he or she would have thirty days to pay or make arrangements for payment. Believe me, as one who is now confronted by paperwork from my own local hospital, I know how this works.

So, if you get this scam, delete it. It's just one of the ever-changing, ever-growing scams on the net. It was signed by somebody I don't even know.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Donna

Definately Spam! The email addy used to send the email is for a Victor Andrews. The body of the email was signed by Annie? can’t recall the last name.

Donnae

[...]

chris judge

Yes, it looks like it's coming through the blind buy and sell address.

[...]

Steve Matzura

Victor Andrews is a personal friend of mine. His email has either been compromised or spoofed. He has been notified.

On 8/16/2018 9:06 AM, Donna wrote:
[...]

Sandra Streeter

That's an oldie--just same song, different verse. I automatically delete them if, in the subject line, they sound suspicious.

Sandra

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced."
(James Baldwin)

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I agree; not new at all. Then, there are the ones that tell you they want you to split money from an estate if you will just hold it for them for a while. But in order to do this, you need to give them your deposit information so they can deposit the money! Right! I'm glad I wasn't born last night at night, as my husband used to say. Pam.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

That one came to one of the lists of all places. Naturally,
I just deleted it. Never gave it a second thought until note
from moderator.

Best regards,

Carolyn

[...]

Laz

It came through one time. I who happen to be the owner of the
blind-bst list, locked the topic, put Victor on moderated status, and
so it only came through that one time. there was one reply to it from
a friend of Victor who let the list know that he had contacted Victor
and hopefully Victor will handle it. It's a handled thing.

Laz

On 8/16/18, chris judge <chrisjudge1967@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Excellent, Steve. It was definitely a scam, and he has probably been spoofed.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

<smiling> Yes, I recognized the tune but not the words. "Plus sa change, plus c'est le meme chose."

Ann P.

[...]

Thanks for letting him know.

Donna

On Aug 16, 2018, at 10:46 AM, Steve Matzura <number6@noisynotes.com> wrote:

[...]

If they require you wire money or buy gift cards for them, another red flag.

[...]

Cristóbal

Oh my God. We get it. It's a scam. Time for a little Groups.IO mute thread
action.

[...]

Bless you--an opportunity to practice my extremely-rusty (if much-loved) French! "The more things change, the more they stay the same," for non-French speakers.

[...]

I found that out, thank goodness, it didn't cost us
anything.

Best regards,

Carolyn

[...]

Lynn White

Amen to that.

-----Original Message----- From: Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:30 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

-----Original Message----- From: Sandra Streeter
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 11:51 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

-----Original Message----- From: chris judge
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:39 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Hold u.  If this is the Sandra Streeter I know, she does not speak French.

-----Original Message----- From: Ann Parsons

[...]

Which do you know? There are several of us.

[...]

Shelly Kane

Ann:

Thanks for letting us know.  I have gotten a scam when this guy calls your house and wants to talk with me about my computer.  I have even told them I don't have one and he still calls.  They want all of your passwords and personal information.  If anyone gets this call, don't let him talk you into anything.  I have even told them I will call the police and get them on harassment.  They must be calling from a different country and get numbers by random draw.  Be careful out there.

Shelly

On 8/16/2018 8:58 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Morning all,

I just got a new scam!  Life is so fun!  This one starts out with a sad sob storry about somebody who is broke, and her sister has to have a gall bladder operation, and the money has to be paid to the doctor immediately.

Of course this is complete and utter rot.  The hospital would bill the patient and he or she would have thirty days to pay or make arrangements for payment.  Believe me, as one who is now confronted by paperwork from my own local hospital, I know how this works.

So, if you get this scam, delete it.  It's just one of the ever-changing, ever-growing scams on the net.  It was signed by somebody I don't even know.

Ann P.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Yes indeed, you're welcome. Sometimes other languages have phrases or sayings that we just don't have in English. This one seemed particularly appropriate.

Ann P.