From: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of janet gross
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 4:23 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io' <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] Wi-Fi without internet service.

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know if there is a way to have Wi-Fi service at
home without ATT internet service? I just received another
raise from ATT in which is $55 instead of $42, and they say
they have no promotions going on, and might not for a while
either. I don't like paying $55 just to search online. I
can use my phone to do this. Matter of fact, I just use my
cellular service on my phone.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you all.
Janet

Gene

Wi-Fi is a way to communicate over short distances between a router and a device such as a computer.  It is a means of radio communication to allow you to do things without being physically connected to the modem or router by a cable.  that's all it is.  You can have an Internet connection without Wi-Fi.  You could have a Wi-Fi connection without Internet service but it would be useless.  Your computer would be connected to the router and the router would not be connected to the Internet.  It would be like being connected with a cable to your router and your router not being connected to the Internet.

You must have an Internet service provider.  If you don't want much in the way of Internet Service, find out what the very slowest plan is that AT&T offers.  I don't know if it is still available, but my parents had a very slow DSL service for years that they paid something like 14 dollars a month for.  If you do nothing but e-mail and look at web pages, that plan may be adequate.  I don't know if the plan is fast enough to allow streaming of audio but you indicate you just want to do Internet searches, which implies that you just want to look at web pages and use e-mail.

Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Wi-Fi without internet service.

I you have unlimited data on your cell, Janet, that will
work, but if you have limited data like we do, well, I guess
we pay one way or another.

Best regards,

Carolyn

Does anyone know if there is a way to have Wi-Fi service at
home without ATT internet service? I just received another
raise from ATT in which is $55 instead of $42, and they say
they have no promotions going on, and might not for a while
either.  I don't like paying $55 just to search online.  I
can use my phone to do this.  Matter of fact, I just use my
cellular service on my phone.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you all.
Janet

Gene

Also, I am assuming you are still using the copper wire network.  If you switched to fiber optic cable, I don't know what plans are available for that.

In addition, do you use your phone with your Wi-Fi at home?  Do you use your phone for streaming music with Wi-FI or for things that require more speed than the slowest AT&T service might allow?  Do you do these things enough that you want to continue to use Wi-Fi on your phone or do you want to just use your phone service data plan for that?

[...]

Gerald Levy

Some ISP’s will no longer allow residential customers to downgrade to slo Internet DSL service if faster and more expensive fiber optic service is available where they live.

Gerald

[...]

I use my cellular service from my phone carrier for my iPhone.  I haven’t used any Wi-Fi service on my phone in about a week just to see how it would be without using Wi-Fi, and so far it is fine.  I can search, stream, etc with just using my cellular plan.  With my phone carrier, I have unlimited texting, calling, and data.  I don’t want to pay for Uverse with ATT because I don’t do very much with my computer lately.  I can’t imagine ATT doesn’t have a cheaper plan than $55 a month.  ATT is always trying to charge more to the customers because they always are trying to talk me in to signing up for TV, for the fastest internet speed etc.

Janet

Janet

[...]

ATT is telling me the cheapest service they have is $55 a month.  I can’t imagine this.  I just hung up the phone from calling them once again asking for another promotion, and they keep insisting if I use their cell or TV service, they can then offer me a better deal.  I only have until the fourth of Sept to decide, and if not, they will charge me another $55.  Damn it sounds like they are penalizing me for not using their TV or cell service!  It stinks!

ATT just offered me if I switch to use their cell service, they would give me a SE iPhone completely free, and if I didn’t want that, they would give me an iPhone 8 as well as another iPhone 8 completely free, and if I wanted an iPhone 10, they would give me another iPhone 10 completely free.  I keep telling them I am happy with my current phone carrier, so then is when they tell me they have no cheaper internet service for me!  I definitely would like to get away from ATT though.

Janet

to use

Janet

[...]

TerriLynne Pomeroy <tl1@...>

I use DirecTV. Their prices have gone up and up since A T & T bought them out. Through a few frustrated phone calls, I was put in touch with a “loyalty” department, and they dropped my bill nearly in half. But I am guessing that that was a loyalty to DirecTV program and not an A T & T program.

TerriLynne

[...]

If you are only using A T&T for internet, you might look around for another provider.

TerriLynne

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

Yeah, Wi-Fi stands for wireless fidelity.

Best regards,

Carolyn

Does anyone know if there is a way to have Wi-Fi service at
home without ATT internet service? I just received another
raise from ATT in which is $55 instead of $42, and they say
they have no promotions going on, and might not for a while
either. I don't like paying $55 just to search online. I
can use my phone to do this. Matter of fact, I just use my
cellular service on my phone.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you all.
Janet

Dave Mitchel

TerriLynn,
I just switche  from Direct tv/ATT because of the rise in costs. I got frustrated with them and their total lack of consideration and the inability of customer servvice to get me to the right place. I have dish coming tomorrow for hook up. Direct was supposed to have set me up on a lower cost last week and all they did was mess up my internet and left without ever showing me how to get the cable to talk. I hope you have better luck with them than I did. I told them the main reason I was leaving them is I was tired of calling for service anjd no one understanding english enough to get me to the correct system.
Dave

[...]

Mary Otten <maryotten@...>

We got DIRECTV about a year and a half ago on a really good deal. Unfortunately, the really good deal has turned into a mess. I can’t wait to get out. Goodbye AT&T and satellite TV. We have had dish. Not so great. I guess it’s better now than it used to be. But I am going to be a cord cutter.

On Aug 16, 2018, at 4:22 PM, Dave Mitchel <dbmitchel@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't know what kind of service you have.   do you still use the old copper network or do you use fiber optic service.  This may affect the service you can get from various companies, but I don't know.  There are small service providers that are not well known.  I don't know enough about the subject to advise you on where to get information.  And are you quoting a price of 55 dollars for both Internet and phone service combined or just Internet service?  How     much would you save if you got rid of phone service?  Do you even use your land line phone any more?  Is it worth paying twenty or twenty-five dollars a month or whatever it is for a service you want only in case of emergency?  How about just local service?  Perhaps you can keep that and get rid of your long distance service.  How much would you save then?

At this point, I'm asking questions not because I can advise you to any extent, but because I don't think anyone has enough information to do so properly.

[...]

My DirecTV is bundled with my local phone service. When I complained to my local phone service, they put me through to DirecTV’s loyalty number. The people at DirecTV couldn’t find it.

I didn’t like DISH. I know this is probably not a problem for others, but it took a couple of seconds to switch between channels, and I found that irksome.

TerriLynne

[...]

Also, as far as penelizing you is concerned, you save money if you bundle services.  If you don't, you spend more.  I don't know if it's fair or makes sense but that's how these things are done.

Believe it or not, some people still choose to use dial-up service.  I checked the company I had a dial-up account with in the nineties, before DSL became widespread.  It's a small company and it still provides dial-up service.  The cost is twenty dollars.  If people pay twenty dollars for dial-up service, then how much less can you get DSL for than 55 dollars?  I don't know.  Would you be satisfied with paying forty dollars if you could find a small provider who might charge that price?  While I don't know this, I suspect you are chasing a fantom if you expect significant savings.  forty dollars a month is nice but fifteen dollars saved a month is hardly a bonanza.

[...]

I’m not sure if I am using copper network or fiber optic service.

The $55 a month is just for internet service.  I do not have landline phone service, as I use Magic Jack phone in case of an emergency.

I think this is just ATT’s way of trying to force me to use their TV service as well as their iPhone service.  This is definitely wrong on the part of ATT.  I did search online for ATT internet service, and I see very much just like what ATT is trying to charge me $55, for $30 to $40 a month, but that is for new customers though.

Janet

[...]

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

I have A T and T, Internet, home phone and Directv. I get a reasonable price for all three. Because these are a bundle price, if you cut one service they go up on the others. If I just keep Internet, get a cell plan and streaming TV. I would need a faster Internet and with all these  costs added up, I wouldn’t save anything. So cutting the cord is not always a cost saver.

[...]

I hope I can also say good bye ATT soon myself, as I’ve been very unhappy with them for many years.  I would love to cut the ….. cord from ATT.

ATT is actually trying to force me in to signing up for their Direct TV or iPhone, this is very wrong.  Matter of fact, I received a email from the director on the Citizens Utility Board—Illinois. Talking about ATT.  I hope it is all right to forward the email to the list.

Janet

[...]

See this page:
a lot of companies are listed.  I saw a plan for something like nineteen dollars from a small provider but the provider only covers something like twenty-one percent of the city.  Perhaps you will find some companies you will want to look into.

The plan is rather or quite slow but for your uses, it sounds adequate.

I have no idea whether companies can provide service whether you are using fiber optic cable or copper wire or whether the kind of connection limits you to companies that can serve one kind of connection but not the other.  I don't have the technical knowledge to know if it makes any difference.

[...]

Sis Janet, have you considered taking a look at an MVNO? Or, is there
something special you're getting fromAT&T?

I still use H2O WirelessNow, get 8GB data monthly, and pay $36 with autopay.
I can access the Internet and whatever else floats my boat on my Shiny
Android toys. Oh, I also get $20 extra free cash for international calls!
No, this doesn't give me enough talk time to certain countries; however,
when it runs out, Google Duo does the trick for me. I don't have cable, not
too much into tv and, if that ever changes, I think I'll take a good look at
YouTube Tv which I'll be able to access on my Shiny Android toys! So, for
me, no need for a tv box! If I can do it all on my toys that's my better
preference until my tastes change.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado