formating an external hard drive for a Mac?

Kay Malmquist

Hi,  I have an external hard drive that I want to use with a Mac book.  What I need to know is what format should I format it to for best results.  Thanks for any help.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-2015)

Steve Matzura

Connect the drive to your Mac, then press Command-U (I think it is)  to get into Utilities. From there, open the Disk Utilities application and find the drive you want to reformat in the disks table. Choose the Mac Journaling filesystem, which will give you either HFS or AFS, depending on what version of MacOS you are using. The only time you want to choose NTFS is if the drive being formatted will be shared between Mac and Windows computers.

HTH