What's the difference between Imap and pop3?

James Bentley

Hi everyone,

I am moving from Yahoo/ATT mail to Gmail.  I planned on setting up a pop3 account because that is what I am accustomed to using.   However, I don’t seem to have that option.  So, what will be different if I set up an Imap account?

Many thanks,

James Bentley

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Carolyn Arnold

I can't answer your question about IMAP and POP 3, other than to tell you that I had POP 3 with Outlook Express, and now that I have Outlook 2013, I have IMAP, and I can't tell the difference. I can tell the difference in Outlook and Outlook Express, but otherwise, I have no idea. It makes sense to somebody, so maybe your question will bring an answer that better informs me too,.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I am moving from Yahoo/ATT mail to Gmail. I planned on setting up a pop3 account because that is what I am accustomed to using. However, I don’t seem to have that option. So, what will be different if I set up an Imap account?

Many thanks,

James Bentley

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Gene

You have to tell GMail to enable pop3.  You can either wait for more answers from people who have more detailed information or you can do a Google search for something like pop3 GMail.  You will find lots of results.

Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:00 PM

Edmond Nazarian <gocloud84@...>

On 8/25/2016 5:00 PM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am moving from Yahoo/ATT mail to Gmail. I planned on setting up a
pop3 account because that is what I am accustomed to using. However, I
don’t seem to have that option. So, what will be different if I set up
an Imap account?

Many thanks,

James Bentley

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi James,

Below are a couple of explanations:
From: Jason White
With IMAP, the messages are stored on the server. Changes you make, e.g.,
moving and deleting messages, marking messages as read or replied to, etc.,
take place on the server as well. (A local copy may be kept on your disk, but
the copy on the server is primary.)

The main advantage is that you can access the same mail folders from different
devices, and, since everything is kept up to date on the server, whenever you
access your mail over IMAP, you are effectively reading and modifying a single
copy that is stored remotely.

On the other hand, POP 3 downloads your mail to the local computer. It doesn't
maintain the mail folders on the server and update them as IMAP does.

POP 3 is very much obsolete technology at this point.

Since everything is handled by your mail client software, there will be no
difference so far as JAWS or any other screen reader is concerned; but you'll
have a better experience with IMAP, especially if you have multiple
computers/devices with which you read mail.

The best strategy in that case is to store the message on a server that has
plenty of capacity, and access them using IMAP from all of your devices.
Jason

From: Gene
Outlook Express doesn't support message rules using IMAP.  Neither does Windows Live Mail and, presumably, neither does Windows Mail.  I don't know if Thunderbird supports message rules with IMAP.  Microsoft Outlook does.

Gene

    Difference Between POP3 and IMAP E-mail Accounts

IMAP and POP3 are methods used by your computer to access e-mail messages from a remote server. 1&1 e-mail accounts are compatible with both IMAP and POP3.
1&1 suggests using IMAP over POP3. Read on to find out why.

IMAP

IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is an advanced protocol for receiving e-mail. It is a method of accessing e-mail messages which are stored on a
mail server.

The main advantage of IMAP over POP3 is the ability to keep the original e-mail stored on the mail server and the ability to access the same account from
multiple locations. Unlike POP3 where e-mail is downloaded to the computer or device checking for mail and completely removed from the mail server, IMAP
simply downloads a copy of the e-mail. This is much more convenient as the e-mail account can be set up on multiple computers and devices using IMAP and
the original e-mail will always remain on the mail server.

In cases where a mobile phone or personal computer was configured to be the primary means of checking e-mail and malfunctions, is lost, stolen, or totally
inoperable, the e-mails will not be lost. Set up the account using IMAP on another computer, device or simply check the 1&1 Webmail at

 and find that all e-mails are still intact!

POP3

POP3 stands for Post Office Protocol version 3. When an e-mail is sent to your address, it is stored on the mail server until it is downloaded via your
e-mail client (Outlook, Netscape mail, your mobile, etc.) using POP3. After the e-mail has been downloaded to your client, it is removed from the server
altogether.

Simply, this means if one were to set up an e-mail account on a mobile phone as POP3, the phone would download all e-mails, removing them from the server.
If one were to then check the webmail or home computer for the same e-mail account, there would be no mails viewable as they have already been download
by the mobile phone.

For additional information, you may want to reference:
list of 3 items
Create an E-mail Account in Your 1&1 Package
Help Center articles regarding Outlook
Help Center articles regarding E-mail Software
list end

Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

I am moving from Yahoo/ATT mail to Gmail.  I planned on setting up a pop3 account because that is what I am accustomed to using.   However, I don’t seem to have that option.  So, what will be different if I set up an Imap account?

Many thanks,

James Bentley

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

James Bentley

OK, I have decided that I like the idea that all clients will be synchronized  when using imap.  But, I have a few very important questions.  I wonder if using imap will allow me to download all messages to any client and keep them there forever if I choose.  In other words, I do not want emails only available to me when I am on line.  I want to download emails and keep them forever if I want.  Will imap allow me to have the emails on all of my computers without deleting them after a certain period of time?  And, I do understand that if I make changes to one client, the same changes happen to all.  But, I was just under the impression that users of imap do not get to keep emails on their machines forever.

Thanks for any advice,

James Bentley

Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I am moving from Yahoo/ATT mail to Gmail.  I planned on setting up a pop3 account because that is what I am accustomed to using.   However, I don’t seem to have that option.  So, what will be different if I set up an Imap account?

Many thanks,

James Bentley

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Edmond Nazarian <gocloud84@...>

Yes if you do not delete the messages you need to keep. in GMail we archive them.

On 8/25/2016 6:04 PM, James Bentley wrote:
[...]

OK, it appears as though message rules will not sink on all clients. That's no big deal for me but, I would still want to be able to create message rules on individual clients. Do you happen to know if individual message rules will still work on the client if they are created?

James

I am moving from Yahoo/ATT mail to Gmail. I planned on setting up a
pop3 account because that is what I am accustomed to using. However, I
don’t seem to have that option. So, what will be different if I set up
an Imap account?

Many thanks,

James Bentley

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Edmond Nazarian <gocloud84@...>

Yes they should work. I believe message rules have nothing to do with POP and IMAP.
I have a better idea; if you are using GMail, create folders and labels in your GMail account and setup rules there. This was you can keep everything as you want.

-----Original Message----- From: Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io

I am moving from Yahoo/ATT mail to Gmail. I planned on setting up a
pop3 account because that is what I am accustomed to using. However, I
don’t seem to have that option. So, what will be different if I set up
an Imap account?

Many thanks,

James Bentley

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

Gene

Windows Live Mail doesn't support message rules created in that client when using IMAP.  I don't know about other programs other than that Thunderbird and Outlook support such rules.  My understanding is that rules are generally set up on the server and that this allows proper synchronization on clients because no rules are set up in the clients nor is support for such necessary.

Gene
Yes they should work. I believe message rules have nothing to do with
POP and IMAP.
I have a better idea; if you are using GMail, create folders and labels
in your GMail account and setup rules there. This was you can keep
everything as you want.

On 8/25/2016 6:24 PM, James Bentley wrote:
> OK, it appears as though message rules will not sink on all clients.
> That's no big deal for me but, I would still want to be able to create
> message rules on individual clients.  Do you happen to know if
> individual message rules will still work on the client if they are created?
>
> James
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io
> Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:08 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] What's the difference between Imap and pop3?
>
> Yes if you do not delete the messages you need to keep. in GMail we
> archive them.
>
> On 8/25/2016 6:04 PM, James Bentley wrote:
>> OK, I have decided that I like the idea that all clients will be
>> synchronized  when using imap.  But, I have a few very important
>> questions.  I wonder if using imap will allow me to download all
>> messages to any client and keep them there forever if I choose.  In
>> other words, I do not want emails only available to me when I am on
>> line.  I want to download emails and keep them forever if I want.  Will
>> imap allow me to have the emails on all of my computers without deleting
>> them after a certain period of time?  And, I do understand that if I
>> make changes to one client, the same changes happen to all.  But, I was
>> just under the impression that users of imap do not get to keep emails
>> on their machines forever.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice,
>>
>> James Bentley

Pamela Dominguez

I have a Gmail account on this computer, and I have it as pop.  So, I don’t know why you can’t find that setting.  I don’t remember how to tell you to find it.  Pam.

Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I am moving from Yahoo/ATT mail to Gmail.  I planned on setting up a pop3 account because that is what I am accustomed to using.   However, I don’t seem to have that option.  So, what will be different if I set up an Imap account?

Many thanks,

James Bentley

**No one is totally worthless, they can always be used as a bad example.

No virus found in this message.

James Bentley

I saw pop in Gmail settings.  I applied it.  But, When I set up the account, the only option that I saw was IMAP.

However, now, I have decided to go with IMAP.  Now, if I can just get Gmail to accept my stupid password to download emails.  I can use my password to go to the web site and see all messages.  But, when I try to download these messages in WLM, , no go.  Oh what fun...

<smile>

James