Topics

restoring my computer from image back up questions

For some odd reason I can't recall or put in right the password that I
had used to make my windows 7 image. I always use a variant of a few
things when I make passwords and I know I didn't put in a super hard
password for it. I'm guessing this is a no, but is there a way to get
the password from the image?
I do have an image that I took *right* after I upgraded to windows 10.
However, the option to rollback to windows 7 is not there at all. I'm
guessing that I'm just SOL with that?
Since I want windows 7 I'm guessing that I will have to do a clean
install, which is probably a good thing to do anyway.
The only issue I might have with that is I'm unable to get a download
of Office 07, even though I have the right key. I use word and excel a
lot and don't use the other tools. I'm guessing I would have to
contact microsoft accessibility for that.
After trying to download the iso file from the microsoft website, I
entered in my serial number, and clicked on verify. It tells me:
Error
The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed
by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for
software recovery options.

So does that mean I have to harass dell for a copy of windows 7 for my
old ass computer?? I don't even think they offer support for my model
, opti plex 745.
After searching their site it looks like I need to hunt down a
sightling to get the service tag number from my tower before I can
download their media creation crap. Plus, since my computer is way out
of warranty there might be a "fee" associated with that and getting
help for it.

All I want is a clean install of windows 7 professional 64 bit,
without the crapware, that I had when I bought my computer.
Do any of you fine people have a suggestion?

Edmond Nazarian <gocloud84@...>

About the password: most likely no. What imaging software you used, however?
Still trying to understand what you want to download? Windows 7 or Office 2007? If windows 7, yes. Windows 7 download still do not work with all keys. What edition of Windows 7 do you want?
For Office 2007 also, what Office 2007 edition you have? Probably just the Home and Student version?
Confirm these, and we'll try to help.

On 8/25/2016 7:28 PM, Melissa wrote:
[...]

Carlos

1. For future reference, I wouldn't recommend password protecting images. Some people have the inclination to password protect everything they can for security reasons, but in many cases it really isn't necessary and can cause problems such as these. Short of speaking to the developer who might or might not help, there is no way around a lost or forgotten password.

2. The error most likely means that what you have is an OEM product key. Microsoft might or might not be willing to help with this, but most likely you will have to resort to paying Dell for a recovery disc assuming they still make them for your particular model. The only other way you could legally get a clean installation of Windows 7 would be to purchase an OEM copy on Amazon which are a bit over $100.

[...]

I used Active@ disk image to create my image files.

I want to download windows 7 professional, 64 bit.But, the windows
site is telling me to talk to the manufacturer and that they can't
help me with that. I will have to get the service tag number, my
computer is a dell, and go through their site to try and get a copy of
windows 7 and since my computer is out of warranty I might get charged
for it, I don't know yet.
I'm not sure what version of office I have beside it being 2007.

I have a bad headache right now so I'm going to try and sleep now.
That, or I will be slow to reply because I'm never good at getting to
sleep when I want, lol.

On 8/25/16, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io <gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Do not worry at all.
Windows 7 professional? Sorry 32 or 64 bit? Hope you know. I will send you a download link.

On 8/25/2016 7:42 PM, Melissa wrote:
[...]

Belarc Advisor
might help with retrieving your service tag.

[...]

It won't do you any good unless you have a working product key. However, just about any machine which came with Windows 7 preinstalled from a manufacturer should have the product key on a COA key sticker.

[...]

Seams she have the product key. She just can't download Windows using the key which is normal. That site do not work with any key I tried.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io"
<gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io>
[...]

Usually this means it is an OEM product key which generally you cannot use to activate a retail copy of Windows 7. In some cases, modifying
ei.cfg
will allow the image to work with an OEM key, but I have read reports of this not always working.

[...]

Yes unfortunately that's right but not always. It's possible to fix the issues but it's not easy.
We are gambling...<Smile>

On 8/25/2016 7:52 PM, Carlos wrote:
[...]

In either case, it is worth looking for the product key on the COA key sticker since it is almost guaranteed to work

[...]

Honestly it won't activate with the OEM certificate installed, even if you enter the correct key, you know.
Let's see what will happen... I am a bit worry. I want to help people but sometime later I feel I put them in more head ace.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@...>

[...]

jeremy <icu8it2@...>

I was a little thrown off by the password thing, thought she meant the Windows7 installation's password, so was going to suggest that I thought the PE had a tool to reset that. Glad I didn't write and make myself look silly. :)

As far as the OEM stuff goes though, at least with 7, aren't there tools that keep a list of keys and certificates for the different OEM providers, dell, Lenovo, etc? I can't recall the name of the one I used to do my clean install, but that's how I got my version to finally register. There's a tool that once you get the version of Windows that's licensed for your machine installed, home, pro, whatever, you run the tool and it pulls down the certs for that model and registers everything for you. Once I had mine registered, that's when I made my image.

Reason I had to resort to using this, I wasn't able to use the key that I got using keyfinder and ms had told me that that key was already n use. It was then that I found out about the OEM machines having keys that were used on registration for large numbers of the same machine.
Not sure if it will help, but if I can dig up the tool, I'll post a link for it.
Take care.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Melissa" <@MJMarney>
[...]

Yes... they are such tools... your red lines, Carlos?

On 8/25/2016 8:00 PM, Jeremy wrote:
[...]

It should always activate with the key on the COA key sticker which is not the same as the OEM key used to activate Windows initially by the manufacturer.

[...]

That sounds complicated. I bought my computer from a seller off of
amazon and I'm guessing he was able to do a fresh install, because I
don't recall any dell stuff when I first got my computer.
It just had windows 7 professional, 64 bit and I don't remember any
extra programs sides the basics. Maybe he just uninstalled them who
freaking knows.

This is so very frustrating because I had finally made the decision
(very long story there) to try and see if I could do some freelance
transcribing or editing and now ... oh gee my computer ends up being a
total ass hat.

Walking away from computer before I throw something.
TTFN
Melissa

[...]

Yes I vaguely remember going through that procedure a couple of times myself, but honestly it is just easier to use the key on the COA key sticker. Assuming the sticker is still legible.

[...]

As I understand it, you can download the cert by hand and enter everything else manually, they's a fair number of command line tinkering that needs to be done to get stuff registered, but that's where the tool makes it quicker as it handles all the cli stuff for you, along with pulling down the certs from a list.

Pretty neat.

On 8/25/2016 10:02 PM, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io wrote:
[...]

Melissa, just have someone sighted look for the product key on the COA key sticker. On desktops it is usually on the side or the top of the case. With laptops it is usually on the bottom.

[...]

James Bentley

The Belarc Advisor found the service tags on both of my Dell laptops.

Good luck,