Topics

a newer computer & discussing specs

I'm about ready to look into getting a newer if not a new computer. It
would mean putting off stuff I've been saving for ... but I need a
working computer to actually make moneyand well I've been putting off
getting my divorce for this long I'm thinking I can put it off a bit
more, lol.

I was looking at amazon to get an idea of costs and saw some entries
for a "mini desktop computer. My thing is that I don't need something
all powerful since I usually use my computer for word processing types
of things and the internet. I don't use my computer to listen to music
or movies.
All I know is that I would want a faster processor, I'm thinking a SSD
drive, bluetooth, wireless (not muy importante, and I can't think of
anything else right now.

If I spend any money on something I want it to be on something that
will last for a while, not for forever, and it be possible to do
maintenance on it or maybe upgrade it.

I greatly value y'all's opinions.

Excuse me if I am rambling, but trying to talk myself out of being nuerotic.

Melissa

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Melissa,

Just so these good folks know, what price range, Windows 7 or 10, laptop or desktop?  This will give people a better idea as to what you want & with what search criteria to use.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

[...]

Edmond Nazarian <gocloud84@...>

Then it's better to get use of, and stay with Windows 10. Sorry you may not find a new machine pre-installed with Windows 7, unless you go with a business class machine.
Honestly Windows 10 is not bad at all.

On 8/26/2016 6:43 PM, Melissa wrote:
[...]

Oh ... gee ... that would make sense huh? lol

I want a desktop, I would prefer windows 7 and I know that I most
likely won't find a new computer with that on it. I was thinking
buying used again off of amazon since I've had good experience with
doing that. I don't mind windows 10, but my experience is with a
computer that doesn't play well with windows 10 so a more updated
computer might be lots better.
One computer I was looking @ was:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01E0FYVXM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=XFT3UT4G71GO&coliid=I2LVROXSQJE4WB&psc=1

however what sounds like basically the same thing is 4 or 5 dollars less
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00VTQ5U5Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=XFT3UT4G71GO&coliid=I1NITMZZKYXTF8

As for price I am thinking $400 or lower if possible. But, not so low
as to get a computer that would only last me for a year or so. Those
two are the same brand and are "mini" desktops and honestly they don't
sound bad to me, but I've been out of the loop regarding computer
stuff since I lost my site and now could care less if the computer is
powerful enough to run photoshop or the games I used to play.
When I search I would like a few more specs to look for as in hard
drive types, ram, and processor type/speed. I think that is it, but
I'm sure I'm missing something.

On 8/26/16, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
[...]

Carlos

You can still find new machines running Windows 7, but they will usually be categorized as business class machines. Of course, many of them are quite reasonably priced so this is not really an issue if you are determined to have Windows 7.

[...]

Lenovo usually makes good machines. 8GB of memory plus an SSD sounds good, but the CPU is, well, a bit slow for these days.

On 8/26/2016 7:05 PM, Melissa wrote:
[...]

I'd recommend this one instead:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019ELF0IC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2TC87EJKQMY9O
Yes, it's $700, but you'll get a much faster CPU and a 256 GB SSD. Also this one is more future-proof.
Hope this helps.

[...]

jeremy <icu8it2@...>

For the price, I'd say it doesn't sound bad at all and I've really grown to like Lenovo, having had mine for around 4 or so years now. I'd definitely stick with a machine that either comes with 7 or that can be downgraded, without to much trouble, but if that ends up being to difficult, having to change over to 10 really isn't super bad.

My machine's processor is a tad bit quicker, so I can't really speak to what type of decrease you may see, but if you just want it for word processing and tinkering about on the interwebs, I'd guess it'd work pretty well. Just as reference, my machine is the x220, upgraded to an SSD, which I purchased later down the road and installed myself.
I've also really liked the Dell Latitude machines, but it's been a long time since I had a dell, so I can't speak to them these days.
Just a few thoughts. :)
Take care.

On 8/26/2016 9:05 PM, Melissa wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that it is a ton faster than my computer now, lol.
As I mentioned before I don't do too much with my computer. I use
word, excel, firefox/chrome for internet browsing, and there was a
transcribing program that I was starting to test out, express scribe
from NCH (I think I spelled that right)

@Carlos: I'm not all gun ho about having to have windows 7, though it
would be nice, I'm pretty sure if I buy a previously owned computer
I'll have a good chance at getting it. As for windows 10 if I can get
it to work on a computer with upgraded drivers and the like I would
have no problem switching to it.

On 8/26/16, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io <gocloud84=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

So you own it? It's a good machine yet...
BTW do you know it's possible to edit its BIOS with WMI? like ThinkPads?
I am about to get a ThinkPad P50...

On 8/26/2016 7:33 PM, Jeremy wrote:
[...]

I don't usually praise individual manufacturers, but I have to say that my Dell XPS 8700 is the most stable and silent machine I have ever owned.

[...]

The price on that is a bit much for me sir. But, I do see how the
computer could be faster, I'll keep that in mind.
I've had like 3or 4 computers and all but my first computer were dell
computers and, luckily, nothing went too wrong on them that I couldn't
easily fix or get fixed. I certainly don't want a cheap computer,
which in my mind were the HP and eMachine computers my parent's had
long ago. I always associate HP with cheap, but maybe their computers
have gotten better in the past decade?

Melissa

[...]

Well as I said, you can still find new machines which include Windows 7 and are reasonably priced.

[...]

The one either she or you posted a link for, nah, I don't own those, mines the Thinkpad x220. As for as messing about with the BIOS though, mines never really had any updates released beyond the date I purchased the computer, so I've never messed with it, aside from turning off the quick boot crap so I could more easily boot from stuff like my external optical drive or flashdrives, etc.

Even though it's starting to become a little dated, especially if I want to run stuff like steam, it's been a faithful little beasty and keeps chugging right along otherwise.

I'd really recommend purchasing this model actually, just that I don't know how much they'd cost these days. I payed quite a bit back wen I purchased mine though.

On 8/26/2016 9:40 PM, Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your opinion. It sounds weird, but I kinda like the name
lenovo, maybe it is a girl thing, lol.
To compare, my present computer:
Dell Inc. OptiPlex 755
2.67 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
64 kilobyte
I think it is 4 gb of ram

So I'm thinking almost anything will be faster, hah.

On 8/26/16, Jeremy <icu8it2@...> wrote:
[...]

What to say. Show us what Dell or any machine you may want to buy and we'll try to comment.
You may want to read this:
I Got Scammed by a Counterfeiter on Amazon. Here’s How You Can Avoid Them
http://www.howtogeek.com/267701/i-got-scammed-by-a-counterfeiter-on-amazon-heres-how-you-can-avoid-them/
ComputerUpgradeKing is a trusted seller anyway. Just please be carefull what seller you are going to work with.

On 8/26/2016 7:42 PM, Melissa wrote:
[...]

Actually, those still aren't bad specs. I'd raise the RAM a bit, but, yeah.

I's certainly not a girly type, but haha, I like the name Lenovo too. :)

I've always liked IBM, basically what Lenovos are supposed to be these days and I can say they still turn out some pretty decent laptops at least.

I was always a dell person too and had a fair number of them, so hard to say which ones I like more, but then again, my lady half, she likes her HP, I think it is.

Grr, haha, now you've got me browsing about on amazon, looking at computer toys. :D

Take care.

On 8/26/2016 9:48 PM, Melissa wrote:
[...]

It's not bad at all. It can run what you want. I'd try to move to Windows 10, unless there's a really issue.
If you have problem we can try to help. There are users who just do not like Windows 10 but you should be fine.

On 8/26/2016 7:48 PM, Melissa wrote:
[...]

I can't recall, but got me curious on what machine you'd posted about, guess it's been a good ways back. I know that it ran windows, but it was one of those little tiny type PCS, almost a portable sort but still a PC.
You remember which one it was?
Thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy" <icu8it2@...>

[...]

That was the Lenovo ThinkCentre M53.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SNSFMYA?&psc=1
Although the page doesn't quite look the same and it seems a bit more pricy than it was when I purchased it.