From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 7:40 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] How do you create a short-cut key?

The subject line is the question here, how do you create a
short cut key? Thanks.

If you pray, don't worry; if you worry, don't pray,

Carolyn

Steve Matzura

Almost. First, this can only be done for Desktop icons. If you want a shortcut key for something that is not already on the Desktop, you have to create a Desktop icon for it, which is beyond the scope of this discussion. Second, while in the icon's Properties dialog, the shortcut key to go directly to the actual shortcut key field is Alt plus K. Third, it's a two-step OK process--after typing your desired shortcut key for the program in question, tab away from the shortcut key field and press Alt plus A to activate the Apply button, then press ENTER to activate the OK button, which closes the dialog.

On 9/26/2018 8:50 AM, Smiling? wrote:
Highlite the icon and go to the properties by using the keystroke
Alt+Enter.
Then tab through until it asks you which keystroke it is that you would like
to use.
Which you would then use whatever keystroke it is that you would like to
use.
Then hit enter to OK it.

The subject line is the question here, how do you create a
short cut key? Thanks.

If you pray, don't worry; if you worry, don't pray,

Carolyn

Smiling?

Not true at all. One can simply create a shortcut within the start menu shortcut by going into the properties and doing the very same thing as I stated before and the Apply button never needs to be used, hitting enter simply applies and Okays it.

The subject line is the question here, how do you create a
short cut key? Thanks.

If you pray, don't worry; if you worry, don't pray,

Carolyn

Steve Matzura

Before I sent my mesage, I tried that in order to see if that works,and it does not. I cannot go into the properties sheet for anything I find in the Start menu. What am I doing wrong then?

On 9/26/2018 9:44 AM, Smiling? wrote:
Not true at all. One can simply create a shortcut within the start menu shortcut by going into the properties and doing the very same thing as I stated before and the Apply button never needs to be used, hitting enter simply applies and Okays it.

The subject line is the question here, how do you create a
short cut key? Thanks.

If you pray, don't worry; if you worry, don't pray,

Carolyn

Smiling?

Maybe trying to use the keystroke Alt+Enter to get into the properties of the shortcut? Because one has to use the right click or the applications key (Shift+F10) to get inside of the properties where the shortcut dialogue is located.

The subject line is the question here, how do you create a
short cut key? Thanks.

If you pray, don't worry; if you worry, don't pray,

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold

That's a saver, thank you, Smiling.

Best regards,

Carolyn

The subject line is the question here, how do you create a
short cut key? Thanks.

If you pray, don't worry; if you worry, don't pray,

Carolyn

Carolyn Arnold

OK, so I first-letter navigate in my 47- icon Home Screen, but what is the command to set a hot key, like Alt-Q for for something?

Best regards,

Carolyn

The subject line is the question here, how do you create a short cut
key? Thanks.

If you pray, don't worry; if you worry, don't pray,

Carolyn

Gene

You can't use alt enter to open properties in a menu.  In a menu, when you are on the item you want to open properties for, open the context menu, find properties, and press enter.  Up arrowing will probably get you to the properties much faster than down arrowing.

Maybe trying to use the keystroke Alt+Enter to get into the properties of the shortcut? Because one has to use the right click or the applications key (Shift+F10) to get inside of the properties where the shortcut dialogue is located.

Before I sent my mesage, I tried that in order to see if that works,and
it does not. I cannot go into the properties sheet for anything I find
in the Start menu. What am I doing wrong then?

On 9/26/2018 9:44 AM, Smiling? wrote:
> Not true at all. One can simply create a shortcut within the start menu shortcut by going into the properties and doing the very same thing as I stated before and the Apply button never needs to be used, hitting enter simply applies and Okays it.

chris judge

Sorry, that doesn't work. I've tried both navigating to the all apps section of the start menu, and searching for it, alt enter does not bring up the properties dialog in either case. As steve said, you must create a short key from the desk top icon.