Inquiring about Uninterrupted power supply units

Robin Frost

Hi Everyone,
I hope this finds all happy and well. Since the uninterrupted power supply unit that I’ve had for the past 4 years has now given up its life I was curious what units others were using and how blind friendly they were in terms of setup I.E. making sure battery was properly connected before use as well as interaction once set up. I can’t wait to read what the experiences of others are in terms of that which is available today. Thanks in advance for your help.
Robin

Peter Spitz

Robin:

This is what I use, got it from Amazon:  APC Battery Backup & Surge Protector (BE350G) - 350VA 6-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).

It’s only about $40 now and I’ve had mine for about two years.The reviews will give you a lot of info on how to set up this UPS without needing any help.  For instance, the battery comes with aterminal cover that needs to be removed, it’s pretty obvious when you’re feeling around though.  While it won’t hurt to have sighted help, and I admit I have a13 year old son who helps me out frequently – the unit is pretty blind friendly.  When there is a poweroutage, it will beep four times about every two minutes to remind you that it’s on battery backup.  It will also emit a longer beep when the battery is running down.

Did you know that it’s usually very easy simply to replace the battery in your older UPS, have you considered that too?  Just search the model on Amazon and look for a replacement battery.

Good Luck,

Peter