Laptops, who is king of the hill?

Walter Ramage

Hi all.  In the new year I'm contemplating getting a laptop.  It has been a few years since I had one and things have moved on a fair bit since then.  However I would like to know which manufacturer is considered to have the best quality products.  A few years ago I saw a lot of posts on lists like this moaning and complaining about HP but have they improved?  are they considered a good bet for quality and reliability now?  There is a lot of differing brands on offer but I'd like to consider your opinions on the various brands and their pros and cons before seeking out a suitable model.  I've just looked at one web site and noticed that laptops are still rather expensive.  I actually want a laptop rather than a tablet because the hard drives are larger and there is an integral keyboard and more than one USB.  I've discounted apple as Apple are too controlling, restrictive and it is a completely new learning curve which I'm not inclined to embark on.  I would much prefer win7 as the OS, definitely not Win8.  The site I looked at has no Win10 which surprises me so I'll need to go with Win7, stick with what I know I guess.

If you have an opinion on the various brands then will you please let me know your thoughts and why you have come to the conclusions you have.  With thanks.  Walter.

Avast logo

I know my school uses Dell laptops which seem to be pretty reliable.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 13, 2015, at 12:59 PM, Walter Ramage <wpr@...> wrote:

[...]

Carlos

I don't have any specific recommendations at the moment, but I have to disagree about the prices.  If anything, laptop prices are lower than ever.

[...]

Matt

Well, I agree computer in general is down in prices. Can you spend a lot of money on one yes. But you can buy a very good laptop and desktop for around 1000 bucks or less. I would say you can get a fairly good windows machine to do most of what most people would want to do with one for around 600 to the 800 buck mark.

[...]

Actually, I would go as far as saying that for $600 to $800 you can purchase a reasonably powerful machine if you shop around.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

software.

Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

Joe

I’d get the latest model of the Dell XPS 13. Great specs and reliability, but of course, this is personal preference, though several tech publications back up my choice. I’ve had great experience with Dell over the past ten years, hard-pressed to switch to another brand.

--

Musings of a Work in Progress:

www.JoeOrozco.com/