Speaking of braille displays

Robin Frost

Hi,
Since Kelsey mentioned braille displays I ask the following:
Who is using which braille displays and why? What do you like or not like about the one you have.  I seem to ask this question once a year because I find it fascinating to hear about what people are using, why and how they do or don’t like it especially when it pertains to pieces of equipment that are so expensive that they require a seemingly high level of equipment before one selects one.
thanks for indulging my curiosity.
Robin

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
OK, I'll be honest. I don't have the need for one, even though I have a braille sense, and even a braillenote.

Sent from an iPad. Please excuse any spelling errors.

On 15 Dec 2015, at 12:30 am, Robin Frost <robini71@...> wrote:

Hi,
Since Kelsey mentioned braille displays I ask the following:
Who is using which braille displays and why? What do you like or not like about the one you have.  I seem to ask this question once a year because I find it fascinating to hear about what people are using, why and how they do or don’t like it especially when it pertains to pieces of equipment that are so expensive that they require a seemingly high level of equipment before one selects one.
thanks for indulging my curiosity.
Robin

Hello Sis Robin:

I have the HIMS BrailleSense Plus!  It’s an older model of course as the BrailleSense U2 has overthrown it <LOL>!!

First, what I don’t like:  Continued development of the software that runs on it in Windows CE 5.0, use of Internet Explorer 6 as browser, Flaky wireless connectivity—it has a mind of its own; as I type this, I am sitted directly in front of my router.  Forget that ma’am, the BrailleSense Plus can’t find my wireless network.

I’ll never use this thing to access the Internet.  I’ll have to wait till the next set of astronauts return from the moon before it gets through downloading and sending my E-mails; yes, I get tons of E-mails!  I can’t even use it to surf the Internet and get good results.  For such issues, I prefer the use of my computer or my Shiny Crappy Android phone!  Shiny crappy?  Yeh, that’s my way of singing the praise of my Android toy and I am hands over foot in love with it.

Second, what do I like about my Braille display?  Well, I can use its calculator for simple arithmetic; I can read tons of books in text, .brl or .brf and .doc .docx formats whilst riding the bus home or when in a noisy environment.  I can open at least seven documents if memory serves and skip from one to the other.  And, yes, the tech support of HIMS is NOT bad!  It’s nearly at par with that of the blessed GW Micro now dying or folding into another corporation in the name of merger.  Oh, it does have a replaceable battery which, sadly, I must order directly from HIMS!  My local battery dealers can’t find the kind and type of battery it uses.  For the time being, the BrailleSense Plus still gets FREE SOFTWARE and FIRMWARE updates!  How long this shall continue remains anybody’s guess.

I used to have the BrailleNote.  It fell to pots and I just couldn’t justify spending over $2,000 to have it repaired by Humanware.  The tech support of Humanware was more than horrible and I’m glad I don’t have to deal with or touch their product anymore.

Sincerely,

Olusegun

Denver, Colorado

Robin Frost

Hi,
Thanks for replying.
I wonder if the braille edge or vario have replaceable batteries or if they must be done by their respective makers.
I appreciate your reply (smiles).
Robin

Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 10:47 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Speaking of braille displays

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I’m using an Alva Braille Controller.  Really, the only thing I like about it is that it is forty cells.  I made a mistake.  I bought it because it was cheaper.  What a jerk!  Pam.

Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 7:30 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Speaking of braille displays

Hi,
Since Kelsey mentioned braille displays I ask the following:
Who is using which braille displays and why? What do you like or not like about the one you have.  I seem to ask this question once a year because I find it fascinating to hear about what people are using, why and how they do or don’t like it especially when it pertains to pieces of equipment that are so expensive that they require a seemingly high level of equipment before one selects one.
thanks for indulging my curiosity.
Robin

No virus found in this message.

Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...>

I think the best displays now is the focus and the brailliant
displays. They are stable, don't brake for nothing, and the braille is
quality and chrispt. The only thing I don't like about the focus is
that its so small from back to frunt that its very easy to slip it or
touch where the buttons are and you cannot get a good grip on it. So
that is why I just use it on a table and don't take it with me around
when on the phone. I don't know about the brailliant design, so I hope
that is better.

On 15/12/2015, Pamela Dominguez <geodom@optonline.net> wrote:
I’m using an Alva Braille Controller. Really, the only thing I like about
it is that it is forty cells. I made a mistake. I bought it because it was
cheaper. What a jerk! Pam.

Since Kelsey mentioned braille displays I ask the following:
Who is using which braille displays and why? What do you like or not like
about the one you have. I seem to ask this question once a year because I
find it fascinating to hear about what people are using, why and how they do
or don’t like it especially when it pertains to pieces of equipment that are
so expensive that they require a seemingly high level of equipment before
one selects one.
thanks for indulging my curiosity.
Robin

No virus found in this message.

Facebook: m.facebook.com/aidan.maher92
Skype: andries4451
Twitter: smarttalk7
Audioboo: www.audioboo.com/DjSpotlight

Norman

Hi.
I'll be watching this thread closely because I've been considering getting one for a while already
.
Oppinions on what to get anyone??

On December 14, 2015 7:30:12 PM EST, Robin Frost <robini71@...> wrote:
Hi,
Since Kelsey mentioned braille displays I ask the following:
Who is using which braille displays and why? What do you like or not like about the one you have.  I seem to ask this question once a year because I find it fascinating to hear about what people are using, why and how they do or don’t like it especially when it pertains to pieces of equipment that are so expensive that they require a seemingly high level of equipment before one selects one.
thanks for indulging my curiosity.
Robin

Victor

I'm using the Focus Braille display from Freedom Scientific.  I like it because it has 40 cells, a Perkins style keyboard and it's pretty small.  However, I think it's time to clean the Braille cells as a couple of them don't always come up all the way.

Hope that helps,

Victor

Sent from my iPad

Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 10:47 PM

[...]

Flor Lynch

I've got two Focus braille displays; the 40 Blue (Classic) and the Focus 14 BT, both with Perkins-style keyboard entry. Each of them can be used with either the computer or the iPhone (or the Android phone). I got the 14 because it was on sale at the time, the price reduced by 20% from normal; and because then I was also thinking of buying an iPhone-and I knew that such a display would be put to good use with it. I was granted the Focus40 Blue, and liked its great JAWS compatibility and the ease with which one could read books/magazines through it.

Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 10:47 PM

[...]

I would think that that, at least in good part, depends on what you envision as your main use for it. Do you want a ‘standalone’ braille note-taker, or a refreshable braille display that will work with other ‘smart’ technology. Or you may want something that has a bit of both? (The note-takers tend to be a bit more expensive, and may not be updated easily or as frequently as one might wish.)

I'll be watching this thread closely because I've been considering getting one for a while already
.
Oppinions on what to get anyone??

On December 14, 2015 7:30:12 PM EST, Robin Frost <robini71@...> wrote:
Hi,
Since Kelsey mentioned braille displays I ask the following:
Who is using which braille displays and why? What do you like or not like about the one you have.  I seem to ask this question once a year because I find it fascinating to hear about what people are using, why and how they do or don’t like it especially when it pertains to pieces of equipment that are so expensive that they require a seemingly high level of equipment before one selects one.
thanks for indulging my curiosity.
Robin

Flor Lynch

The Focus 14 Blue comes with a cover that has a shoulder- or neckstrap, vvelcro openings, and one can leave it with the cover over it, and pull the cover back or fold it over itself in back, when using it. Sometimes I feel that the 14 is a little to 'squashed close', i.e., one would sometimes like there to be more space between its keys.

Since Kelsey mentioned braille displays I ask the following:
Who is using which braille displays and why? What do you like or not like
about the one you have. I seem to ask this question once a year because I
find it fascinating to hear about what people are using, why and how they do
or don’t like it especially when it pertains to pieces of equipment that are
so expensive that they require a seemingly high level of equipment before
one selects one.
thanks for indulging my curiosity.
Robin

No virus found in this message.

Facebook: m.facebook.com/aidan.maher92
Skype: andries4451
Twitter: smarttalk7
Audioboo: www.audioboo.com/DjSpotlight

Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...>

I really like my Focus 14 Blue but when reading documents with big words which I mostly do, I find myself wishing for at least 20 cells. I understand the latest Focus 40 is pretty nice. I think if I was financially able to consider a larger and newer display for myself for Christmas I would be looking at several right now in addition to the Focus 40 including the one by Baum. Actually both models by Baum because I like their ability to connect simultaneously to more than one device via Bluetooth.
Merv

[...]

12/13/15

--

Rob <captinlogic@...>

Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually both models by Baum because I like their ability to connect simultaneously to more than one device via Bluetooth.
That brings up a question. I will soon be receiving a Handy Tech Basic Braille 40. I want to use it via USB with both computers near my desk. What kind of USB switch can I purchase that would allow this?

Carlos