Netflix

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

We've recently got Netflix and can't seem to get audio description for anything.

We rang and they said we could turn it on for individual programme in the audio settings for that orphan but it doesn't come to, even for movies we know have audio description.

Is there a trick to it or does it not work in the standard plan perhaps? Do we need to upgrade to the HD plan? Happy to do that of that's what it takes but can't seem to find out anywhere?

Kind regards

Quentin

--
22 Point

Web:http://www.22point.com.au
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/22Point
Twitter:https://twitter.com/22PointApps

Check out our first app, RapiTap! - Tap targets fast & avoid decoys:
Adrenaline pumping, Challenging, Accessible!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=​au.com.twentytwopoint.rapitap

Free trial:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=​au.com.twentytwopoint.rapitapfree

Rish i D Mack <mackrishi@...>

If you’re using it on windows, it’s a pain to do. Also, windows 9 and above comes with  html5 by default. so no flash player is needed. or at lease that’s what they say. So you go to captions and subtitles for the audiotrack, you can turn it on in there . On IOS, go to language options. Not all movies has the Audio description service.

Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:31 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Netflix

[...]

Carlos

Perhaps you meant Windows 8?  There is no Windows 9.  And while Windows 8 does introduce native support for HTML5, HTML5 is still available on earlier versions of Windows depending on what browser you are running.  Also, Netflix does not use Flash Player, it uses Silverlight.

Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:31 AM

[...]

I've tried it in PC, android and my allegedly smart TV.  Tried daredevil, orange is the new black which are on the audio description list, and a couple of others. The audio options have stereo and Dolby 5.1 for whatever languages they are in and various sub titles, but no audio description.

Could it be that we only have the cheap standard definition package rather than HD?

Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:31 AM

[...]

It sounds unlikely that it would only be available in the HD package, but I've never personally tried to enable Audio Description so you might want to contact Netflix again and ask them about that specifically.

Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:31 AM

[...]

Mike Thomas

Hi Quentin,  This is my experience, but it only applies to the new Apple TV.  I had to call Netflix and they had to add something to my account.  Then look up described video on Netflix with a google search.  There you will find about a hundred titles that have the description added.  They seem pretty sparce for all the programming available, but it beats a zero.
Mike

[...]

That’s write. sorry. I ment to type silverlight. just forgot. rofl.

Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:31 AM

[...]

I never had problems with audio descriptions. I just was told to go to my account, go down to audio description, and the list will be there with the titles. I did it on windows and my iphone/ipad. I used my touch curser to do it on windows but it was still a pain. I use win seven

Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2015 9:14 AM

[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

I have the regular account and I can get the descriptive. I found the easiest place to turn it on was on my IPhone. First make sure it is active in settings, then open the Netflix app, start the item which you are sure has descriptive audio and once it is playing:
double tap the screen to bring up the menu. locate the selection for the English descriptive  and it should begin. I then found that when I play the same programs on my Apple TV, the descriptive audio was already enabled.
HTH, Marie

Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:31 AM

[...]

Matt

Just wondering and for those that don’t know about it. The Blind Mice Mart has a movie vault and it has tons of descripted movies and TV shows. You do have to have a Blind Mice account but that is free.

The movies and all is free for Blind Mice Mart members! Below is the link to Blind Mice Mart site and then once on the site and you have registered. Then just go to the link called: Blind mice movie vault.

There you can browse or search for the movies. They are stored on Send space and then you just download them from Send Space. If you don’t have a Send Space account you can only download 300 mb file per hour. So that is two movies there about. Your download speed is limited as well. But if you have a Send Space account that you pay for then the downloads is virtually unlimited and your speed is limited to your download speed.

In fact am listening to a movie from it right now. I had listen to the book and it was great but had not heard the movie yet so listening to it. 50 shades of gray.

So check out the link below.

https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=82333

Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:31 AM

[...]

Thanks Mike!

I did get it working this morning on Windows, by starting something with AD (like Orange is the new Black) but strangely on the same shows on the TV, there is no AD option, even though there are other language options, closed captions and it's also the Panasonic TV which has spoken menus and audio description features.

Someone else said we had to ring Netflix but when we did yesterday, they said they didn't need to do anything, we just had to make sure we picked something with AD and enabled it in the language setting for that particular program. Haven't seen anything in the general options, but will look again since it varies from device to device.

Regards

Quentin.

--
22 Point

Web: http://www.22point.com.au
Check out our "Making Windows 10 Easy" eBooks and award winning app, RapiTap!

On 21/12/2015 1:14 AM, Mike Thomas wrote:
[...]

Blaster

Here's a link on how to enable audio description on Netflix across all
of your devices. The good news is, once it's enabled, it stays enabled
across devices. It's just getting the darn thing on in the first
place that causes all of the frustration.

Here goes:
http://www.acb.org/adp/netflix.html

HTH,
Blaster

On 12/20/15, Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Blaster,

One thing I did find different to that article, is that I enabled AD on my computer and that was all good, but when I went to Android, I had to enable it on that device and when I went to my Samsung TV, I had to enable it on that as well - not sure if it will remember it for other shows, or just watching other episodes of the shows I've selected AD for so far. Would be nice if it was a language setting (do people using Netflix in Spanish have to specifically set the language to Spanish for every show they watch I wonder?).

Anyway that's ok, and even if we have to do it for every show, it's possible. What is more disappointing is that it doesn't work at all for our Panasonic Viera E6 - the one TV available in Australia, marketed (and we bought because of this) because it has audio description and audio menu etc.

Rang Netflix, they confirmed the TV doesn't work with their audio description and advised the issue was at Panasonic's end. Rang Panasonic who confirmed that the TV is fine and the issue is definitely with Netflix....

--

On 21/12/2015 12:59 PM, Blaster Nil8 wrote:
[...]

MamaPeach <mamapeach67@...>

I did everything it said to do and I can't get it to work on my Apple TV. Didn't I read that you had to call NetFlix to get them to initiate the audio description for you on the Apple TV? Someone had given a ticket number to give to the person from NetFlix so they would know what was being asked of them. Does anyone still have that ticket number they could share?

[...]

This podcast will help you turn on the audio description feature in
Netflix using the Apple TV. It's a quick podcast from appleviz at:

http://www.applevis.com/podcast/episodes/netflix-apple-tv-how-access-audio-description-now-available-select-titles

or just play the podcast using this link:
http://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast696.mp3

HTH,
Blaster

On 12/21/15, MamaPeach <mamapeach67@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I had no problems getting it set up on Apple TV 3rd gen, but it isn't the same for the 4th gen. The Audio Description isn't there.

[...]

It would seem, your not alone with this issue.

http://www.applevis.com/forum/apple-tv/accessing-audio-description-apple-tv-fourth-gen

Apple really dropped the ball on this one,
[...]

Pamela Dominguez

Oh, that good old buck passing! And when they start doing that, then you don't know what there is to do about it. Pam.

[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.

Quentin Christensen

When I rang Netflix yesterday, I mentioned that I'd heard they needed to activate audio description on their end for the Apple TV, and the nice lady I got was well aware of that, so hopefully if you call you will get someone familiar with the issue or at least able to check with someone else.

(For mine, it was a different issue as noted elsewhere - basically an incompatibility between however Netflix does audio description and how Panasonic interpret it, or something that neither side seem overly interested in looking into).

Regards

Quentin.

--

-----Original Message----- From: Blaster Nil8

[...]

.

Quentin Christensen

Exactly - I've asked our local blindness agency (who promote the TV) and our local blindness advocacy agency to also push the companies - but with both Panasonic and Netflix both happily touting what a great job they're doing and the fault is clearly with the other party, it's not the best environment to try and get them together - I couldn't care less where the fault lies, but it would be nice if they were interested in looking in to resolving it!

--

-----Original Message----- From: Quentin Christensen