Internal hard drives and cloning

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

Hi Carlos and all, I’ve been doing a bit of research into hard drive cloning and I think that this is the option I’ll probably use to transfer the data from my old drive to the new one. The cost for a new drive is probably going to be about $80 for a 1 tb drive. I’m going to need instructions on how to proceed with the cloning process. I’m also going to need to know if I might need any extra cables or adaptors.

Thanks in advance,

Sylvia.

ann

Yes, I might like to clone my hard drive on to my newly arriving hard drive as well. So, any instruction or advice will be appreciated. I already have a USB enclosure where I can put my original hard drive.

~Ann

On 9/13/2016 6:25 PM, Sylvia wrote:

Hi Carlos and all, I’ve been doing a bit of research into hard drive cloning and I think that this is the option I’ll probably use to transfer the data from my old drive to the new one. The cost for a new drive is probably going to be about $80 for a 1 tb drive. I’m going to need instructions on how to proceed with the cloning process. I’m also going to need to know if I might need any extra cables or adaptors.

Thanks in advance,

Sylvia.

Carlos

Hi Sylvia,

To clone the drive, you will have to connect it to one of the machine's internal SATA ports or to a USB port using an enclosure.

Hi Carlos and all, I’ve been doing a bit of research into hard drive cloning and I think that this is the option I’ll probably use to transfer the data from my old drive to the new one. The cost for a new drive is probably going to be about $80 for a 1 tb drive. I’m going to need instructions on how to proceed with the cloning process. I’m also going to need to know if I might need any extra cables or adaptors.

Thanks in advance,

Sylvia.

Sylvia <sylvia0647@...>

Hi Carlos, I assume that all machines have an internal Sata port? Sorry if my question seems like a basic one but I just want to make sure I have everything I need.

To clone the drive, you will have to connect it to one of the machine's internal SATA ports or to a USB port using an enclosure.

Hi Carlos and all, I’ve been doing a bit of research into hard drive cloning and I think that this is the option I’ll probably use to transfer the data from my old drive to the new one. The cost for a new drive is probably going to be about $80 for a 1 tb drive. I’m going to need instructions on how to proceed with the cloning process. I’m also going to need to know if I might need any extra cables or adaptors.

Thanks in advance,

Sylvia.

Byron Stephens

I think if I may add to this that most machines have a few sata ports, going back to 2006.

Hi Carlos, I assume that all machines have an internal Sata port? Sorry if my question seems like a basic one but I just want to make sure I have everything I need.

To clone the drive, you will have to connect it to one of the machine's internal SATA ports or to a USB port using an enclosure.

Hi Carlos and all, I’ve been doing a bit of research into hard drive cloning and I think that this is the option I’ll probably use to transfer the data from my old drive to the new one. The cost for a new drive is probably going to be about $80 for a 1 tb drive. I’m going to need instructions on how to proceed with the cloning process. I’m also going to need to know if I might need any extra cables or adaptors.

Thanks in advance,

Sylvia.

No virus found in this message.

Carlos

Newer machines have SATA ports.  Older machines have IDE ports.  Your primary drive is connected to a SATA port and a typical motherboard usually has at least four of them.  If you are connecting the drive to an internal SATA port, you will also have to connect it to one of the power cables on the power supply.

Hi Carlos, I assume that all machines have an internal Sata port? Sorry if my question seems like a basic one but I just want to make sure I have everything I need.

To clone the drive, you will have to connect it to one of the machine's internal SATA ports or to a USB port using an enclosure.

Hi Carlos and all, I’ve been doing a bit of research into hard drive cloning and I think that this is the option I’ll probably use to transfer the data from my old drive to the new one. The cost for a new drive is probably going to be about $80 for a 1 tb drive. I’m going to need instructions on how to proceed with the cloning process. I’m also going to need to know if I might need any extra cables or adaptors.

Thanks in advance,

Sylvia.

Carlos

Note that if you do not already have one, you may need to purchase a spare SATA cable like the following.