How do I refresh the folder list?

James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...>

Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail.  I can not delete or rename a folder that I created.  I get a message that says something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

Edmond <gocloud84@...>

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account? Right-click on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...>

Do you mean do this in WLM or at the Gmail web site.

When I right click and go to properties in WLM, Jaws says that properties are not available. I must be missing something here.

James B

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account? Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

Edmond <gocloud84@...>

WLM actually.
By the way I am not using WLM right now and honestly I do not want to provide inaccurate information.
Also you may need to enable something called access for less secure apps in your Google account. (not recommended for maximum security)
Maybe you want to switch to a more mainstream EMail client like Thunderbird.

-----Original Message----- From: Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account? Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

Gene

See this discussion.  I'm not sure just how to do what is being discussed but it can be done.  I might play around and see if I can see how this is done but I don't use IMAP and I don't know if the item is available.  You don't see the item by right clicking and entering the properties of the folder.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:12 AM

WLM actually.
By the way I am not using WLM right now and honestly I do not want to
provide inaccurate information.
Also you may need to enable something called access for less secure apps
in your Google account. (not recommended for maximum security)
Maybe you want to switch to a more mainstream EMail client like Thunderbird.

On 9/14/2016 6:03 AM, James Bentley wrote:
> Do you mean do this in WLM or at the Gmail web site.
>
> When I right click and go to properties in WLM, Jaws says that
> properties are not available.  I must be missing something here.
>
> James B
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io
> Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How do I refresh the folder list?
>
> Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account? Right-click
> on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
> refreshing the folder list.
>
> On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail.  I can not
>> delete or rename a folder that I created.  I get a message that says
>> something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
>> folder list.
>>
>> How do I refresh the folder list?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> James B

Edmond <gocloud84@...>

I am still wondering. What is the advantage of using WLM?
Accessibility? Got use of it? I do not want to battle but anyway.

On 9/14/2016 6:23 AM, Gene wrote:
See this discussion. I'm not sure just how to do what is being
discussed but it can be done. I might play around and see if I can see
how this is done but I don't use IMAP and I don't know if the item is
available. You don't see the item by right clicking and entering the
properties of the folder.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-files/how-to-update-folder-list/48d2d226-2750-453b-9473-7b0855c7e42e

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account? Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...>

I do have access for less secure apps turned on. I still can't figure out what keystrokes to use in WLM to update the folder list.

I can't remember the reasons that I decided that ThunderBird would not work for me. I didn't have any problems until I switched to Imap and Gmail. I will take time to think about this but I might decide to switch back to Pop3. If Gmail works, then, fine. If not, then I might consider going back to A T and T email using pop3.

This is a time consuming mess but, I will get it figured out.

Thanks,

James B

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account? Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

Edmond <gocloud84@...>

No. POP3 is not recommended at all. GMail+Thunderbird+IMAP=best experience, IMO.

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account? Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

Gene

Windows Live mail is slightly more accessible than Thunderbird.  Also, Windows Live Mail has at least one feature I don't want to lose and I would if I switched to thunderbird.  Wherever I am, I can immediately go to the default inbox by using the short cut command control I.

I haven't used Outlook enough to compare it with Windows Live Mail.

Thunderbird, from what I've read and seen in list discussions, allows you to set message rules within the program for IMAP accounts.  Windows Live Mail doesn't.  My understanding is that message rules can be set directly on the server so this is evidently not a matter of losing the ability, just learning another way to accomplish what is desired.

The newer Windows Live Mail uses ribbons and those who want to use Windows Live Mail with ribbons may use the older version of the program.  List members can provide the installation file.  It is no longer available from Microsoft.

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:29 AM

On 9/14/2016 6:23 AM, Gene wrote:
> See this discussion.  I'm not sure just how to do what is being
> discussed but it can be done.  I might play around and see if I can see
> how this is done but I don't use IMAP and I don't know if the item is
> available.  You don't see the item by right clicking and entering the
> properties of the folder.
>
> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-files/how-to-update-folder-list/48d2d226-2750-453b-9473-7b0855c7e42e
>
> Gene

Gene

That's far too broad a generalization.  In the case of one user who doesn't have to worry about viewing mail on multiple devices, pop is fine.  If you are worried about synchronizing mail on multiple devices, IMAP would likely be a much better choice.

Gene
No. POP3 is not recommended at all. GMail+Thunderbird+IMAP=best
experience, IMO.

On 9/14/2016 6:30 AM, James Bentley wrote:
> I do have access for less secure apps turned on.  I still can't figure
> out what keystrokes to use in WLM to update the folder list.
>
> I can't remember the reasons that I decided that ThunderBird would not
> work for me.  I didn't have any problems until I switched to Imap and
> Gmail.  I will take time to think about this but I might decide to
> switch back to Pop3.  If Gmail works, then, fine.  If not, then I might
> consider going back to A T and T email using pop3.
>
> This is a time consuming mess but, I will get it figured out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James B
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io
> Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:12 AM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How do I refresh the folder list?
>
> WLM actually.
> By the way I am not using WLM right now and honestly I do not want to
> provide inaccurate information.
> Also you may need to enable something called access for less secure apps
> in your Google account. (not recommended for maximum security)
> Maybe you want to switch to a more mainstream EMail client like
> Thunderbird.
>
> On 9/14/2016 6:03 AM, James Bentley wrote:
>> Do you mean do this in WLM or at the Gmail web site.
>>
>> When I right click and go to properties in WLM, Jaws says that
>> properties are not available.  I must be missing something here.
>>
>> James B
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io
>> Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
>> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
>> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How do I refresh the folder list?
>>
>> Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account? Right-click
>> on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
>> refreshing the folder list.
>>
>> On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail.  I can not
>>> delete or rename a folder that I created.  I get a message that says
>>> something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
>>> folder list.
>>>
>>> How do I refresh the folder list?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> James B

James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...>

No battle at all. Absolutely No bad feelings at all. You can always say what ever you want with me.

I am accustomed to WLM. It has always served me quite well for several years now.

I really do not remember some of the complaints about TB that I heard a couple years ago. Maybe they have been resolved. I seem to remember something about Jaws maybe not anouncing the number of emails in a folder. If so,, that would be a problem for me. Also, maybe Jaws doesn't anounce read and unread. I just don't remember.

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account? Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

Edmond <gocloud84@...>

Thanks so much. I understand.
Give it another try when you got some time. It's better now. Of course you may need to change some settings to make it more comfortable to use. I'll try to find those settings later.

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account? Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...>

OK, I got the folder list refreshed after checking out Gene's link. That deleted the folder that I wanted to delete. However, every time I try to rename or delete another folder, I get an error message saying something like the in box on the server could not be found...try refreshing the folder list. After I refresh, the renaming or deletion occurs. But, surely, I should not have to refresh the folder list every single time I need to rename or delete a folder?

Looks like I still need help.

James B

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account? Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

Edmond <gocloud84@...>

This may not apply to you but follow the steps here. Another WLM mess.
http://www.askvg.com/fix-duplicate-imap-folders-sent-junk-and-deleted-items-created-in-windows-live-mail/

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account?
Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

Gene

I don't see any relevance to the problem.  Evidently, updating should be automatic but it is only being done manually.  Perhaps it's a way of storing messages on your computer without them being on the server.  At this point, it isn't clear to me what the folders are intended to be used for.  They may be intended to keep messages in the program that you don't want to keep on the server.  If each account has such folders, this would allow you to store mail in the account you received it rather than having all messages stored in only one folder, regardless of the account it came from.  For example, if you have three accounts and three deleted messages duplicate folders, one in each account, you could store mail by account in those folders.

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 10:43 AM

This may not apply to you but follow the steps here. Another WLM mess.
http://www.askvg.com/fix-duplicate-imap-folders-sent-junk-and-deleted-items-created-in-windows-live-mail/

On 9/14/2016 8:20 AM, James Bentley wrote:
> OK, I got the folder list refreshed after checking out Gene's link.
> That deleted the folder that I wanted to delete.  However, every time I
> try to rename or delete another folder, I get an error message saying
> something like the in box on the server could not be found...try
> refreshing the folder list.  After I refresh, the renaming or deletion
> occurs.  But, surely, I should not have to refresh the folder list every
> single time I need to rename or delete a folder?
>
> Looks like I still need help.
>
> James B
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io
> Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:58 AM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How do I refresh the folder list?
>
> Thanks so much. I understand.
> Give it another try when you got some time. It's better now. Of course
> you may need to change some settings to make it more comfortable to use.
> I'll try to find those settings later.
>
> On 9/14/2016 6:48 AM, James Bentley wrote:
>> No battle at all.  Absolutely No bad feelings at all.  You can always
>> say what ever you want with me.
>>
>> I am accustomed to WLM.  It has always served me quite well for several
>> years now.
>>
>> I really do not remember some of the complaints about TB that I heard a
>> couple years ago.  Maybe they have been resolved.  I seem to remember
>> something about Jaws maybe not anouncing the number of emails in a
>> folder. If so,, that would be a problem for me.  Also, maybe Jaws
>> doesn't anounce read and unread.  I just don't remember.
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Edmond Nazarian via Groups.io
>> Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:29 AM
>> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
>> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How do I refresh the folder list?
>>
>> I am still wondering. What is the advantage of using WLM?
>> Accessibility? Got use of it? I do not want to battle but anyway.
>>
>> On 9/14/2016 6:23 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> See this discussion.  I'm not sure just how to do what is being
>>> discussed but it can be done.  I might play around and see if I can see
>>> how this is done but I don't use IMAP and I don't know if the item is
>>> available.  You don't see the item by right clicking and entering the
>>> properties of the folder.
>>>
>>> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-files/how-to-update-folder-list/48d2d226-2750-453b-9473-7b0855c7e42e
>>>

>>> Gene

Edmond <gocloud84@...>

Gene, I guess you are fine with your setup, so why bother? Let's here comment from the original poster.

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
<mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account?
Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

Gene

Completely irrelevant and unjustifiably hostile.  You said yourself that this may have nothing to do with the problem and it clearly almost certainly doesn't.  This has nothing to do with my setup.  I'm pointing out that there may be a reason someone might want to keep the duplicate folders and also that there is almost certainly no connection between the problem and those folders.  It may be conceivable, because of the complexity of programs and the oddity of what may happen, that there may be some sort of unexpected connection but I am very very doubtful and I consider this a very very unlikely possibility.

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:07 AM

On 9/14/2016 9:05 AM, Gene wrote:
> I don't see any relevance to the problem.  Evidently, updating should be
> automatic but it is only being done manually.  Perhaps it's a way of
> storing messages on your computer without them being on the server.  At
> this point, it isn't clear to me what the folders are intended to be
> used for.  They may be intended to keep messages in the program that you
> don't want to keep on the server.  If each account has such folders,
> this would allow you to store mail in the account you received it rather
> than having all messages stored in only one folder, regardless of the
> account it came from.  For example, if you have three accounts and three
> deleted messages duplicate folders, one in each account, you could store
> mail by account in those folders.
>
> Gene

Edmond <gocloud84@...>

This can happen dude. I do not have time to waste. Wait a bit to see.

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
<mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
<mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account?
Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an
option for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

Carlos

Edmond, please allow others to respond with additional thoughts and
information without the hostile remarks. You don't have to treat every
disagreement as a challenge.

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:46 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
<mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Maybe you could do this in properties of that GMail account?
Right-click
on the main folder and select Properties. There should be an option
for
refreshing the folder list.

On 9/14/2016 5:43 AM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’m using an Imap Gmail account with Windows Live Mail. I can not
delete or rename a folder that I created. I get a message that says
something like WLM can not find the Imap folder...please refresh the
folder list.

How do I refresh the folder list?

Thanks,

James B

Edmond <gocloud84@...>

Well I actually wanted to ask for judgement. First I had problem about AdBlocker, then System Restore, then this one. All with Gene. I am not blocking other responses at all. I am just feeling others are thinking my I am giving S**T solutions and they never work for either themselvse or somebody else.
I am not good enough in English to explain sorry.