jaws2019 is now released

Josh Kennedy

Jaws2019 is now released. And with it, the new licensing system so you can subscribe to jaws for $90 per year, $270 for 3 years or $450 for 5 years of jaws. But as for me, I will use up my SMA’s first. And then I may start subscribing to jaws.

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jim Rawls

And I will do the same. Jim.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 7:48 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] jaws2019 is now released

Jaws2019 is now released. And with it, the new licensing system so you can subscribe to jaws for $90 per year, $270 for 3 years or $450 for 5 years of jaws. But as for me, I will use up my SMA’s first. And then I may start subscribing to jaws.

Josh

William Vandervest

Can someone please post the download links for both 32 and 64 bit versions?

Thanks

Michael Mote

Hi Josh.  Is this for home users only, or does this cover pro licenses.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 10:48 AM

Josh

Carolyn Arnold

With an SMA costing less, why would anyone pay $90 a year or most assuredly $450 for five years, no break - 5 x 90 = 450.

Best regards,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy

Josh

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Gene

It's worth noting that under the new licensing system, people who haven't upgraded JAWS for a time can upgrade for only the cost of the subscription.  So the penalty for not upgrading is no longer an issue under the subscription system.  I believe you can still purchase smas or subscribe but I know little about this and I don't know if there are times when one system is more advantageous than another.  But if someone is behind in keeping JAWS current, they may want to use the subscription system.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] jaws2019 is now released

Josh

Gene

As I understand it, if you subscribe, you can use JAWS on more machines.  also, as I said, if someone falls behind in upgrades, you can subscribe and use the current version without paying for any interveening upgrades.  There may be other reasons but I know little about the subject.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 12:40 PM

With an SMA costing less, why would anyone pay $90 a year or most assuredly $450 for five years, no break - 5 x 90 = 450.

Best regards,

Carolyn

Josh

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for Windows 10

David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>

Hi Carolyn!

In the FS open line last week, they said that if you keep up with your SMAs, that is by far the cheapest way to go. The only reason why it is good for someone to buy the annual license, is if they have fallen way behind on their SMA, maybe if they only have version 16 or so, then the Yearly way would be a cheaper to get them caught up to JAWS 2019.

Have a great one!

David Moore

Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 3:56 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

As I understand it, if you subscribe, you can use JAWS on more machines.  also, as I said, if someone falls behind in upgrades, you can subscribe and use the current version without paying for any interveening upgrades.  There may be other reasons but I know little about the subject.

Gene

Best regards,

Carolyn

Josh

Janet

I usually always pay the SMA which is $120 every other year, and that comes out to $60 a year. Why would someone want to pay $90 a year!
Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 12:41 PM

Best regards,

Carolyn

Josh

Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@...>

janet gross <janet.harvard@outlook.com> wrote:
I usually always pay the SMA which is $120 every other year, and that comes out to $60 a year. Why would someone want to pay $90 a year!

Because they can't afford the 1200 dollar initial outlay, most likely.

David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>

I hear you LOL!

Yes, why would they!

That is what I do is pay $60 per year with the SMA, that is only $5 per month. That is one meal at Wendy’s LOL!

David Moore

Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 7:01 PM

janet gross <janet.harvard@...> wrote:

> I usually always pay the SMA which is $120 every other year, and that comes out to $60 a year.  Why would someone want to pay $90 a year!

Carolyn Arnold

Thanks for explanation. I just read Mike's information about 2019 on another list. I guess in my next Visa cycle, I'll get it.

I will share your explanation with a friend of mine who, believe it or not is running XP and JAWS 4.5. She simply can't continue that. She has some kind of flip phone that is going to be a dead dog, once LTE 3 is gone. Some of us have a hard time moving up.

Best regards,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 6:05 PM

Hi Carolyn!

In the FS open line last week, they said that if you keep up with your SMAs, that is by far the cheapest way to go. The only reason why it is good for someone to buy the annual license, is if they have fallen way behind on their SMA, maybe if they only have version 16 or so, then the Yearly way would be a cheaper to get them caught up to JAWS 2019.

Have a great one!

David Moore

Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 3:56 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

As I understand it, if you subscribe, you can use JAWS on more machines. also, as I said, if someone falls behind in upgrades, you can subscribe and use the current version without paying for any interveening upgrades. There may be other reasons but I know little about the subject.

Gene

Best regards,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
To: main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>

Josh

Timothy Mok

Hi all,

If what Gene says is correct, I’ll most definitely want to consider subscribing. My wife and I are totally blind and we like using JAWS. If someone can provide more info with regard to the advantages of the subscription platform or  a link to get more info on this, it would certainly be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Timothy Mok.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 3:55 AM

Gene

Best regards,

Carolyn

Josh

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

What are the benefits from one over the other?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy

Josh

Karim Lakhani

just like many business are charging over a hundered to use office a year? When you could buy it out right?
How about all the music services and what else is business and it's repete customers.
It all adds up!

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of janet gross
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 5:00 PM

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 12:41 PM

Best regards,

Carolyn

Josh

Leedy Diane Bomar

I apologize for coming into this thread, after the initial charges have probably been explained. Please write to me off list, if you don’t want to re-post the proposed charges. Would the $90/year replace the need to ever pay the initial licensing fee? Is this another example of VFO/FS/HJ copying MS business models? 

If one has already obtained the product, it makes no sense to pay $90/year to use it. Microsoft Office can still be purchased as a bundled package, or pay a yearly subscription, I think. If the powers-that-be (exploiters extradinaire!) what to find new ways to take milk from starving cows, what can we do? They have already bought out, then removed, their competition. Thank God for NVDA! This implies, if I am understanding it correctly, that the SMA’s will be going up by 50%/year! I am really tired of these monopolistic practices, and now gobling up the accessible app design market, so that companyies will design webpages that will work best with JAWS. But, that is another topic, in and of itself!

Correct me, if my assumptions regarding this thread, are incorrect!

Diane Bomar

On Oct 30, 2018, at 17:56, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

I hear you LOL!

Yes, why would they!

That is what I do is pay $60 per year with the SMA, that is only $5 per month. That is one meal at Wendy’s LOL!

David Moore

Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 7:01 PM

janet gross <janet.harvard@...> wrote:

> I usually always pay the SMA which is $120 every other year, and that comes out to $60 a year.  Why would someone want to pay $90 a year!

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Well, halleluia! Finally somebody with clout has called VFO on their usurous practice. This news makes me very happy! Maybe there is actually good in the world. Guess they got tired of all the folks in Asia and Africa and other places who were using cracked copies of Jaws because they had to do so, not because they wanted to. I'll never forget going from version 7 to version 11 and having to pay $750.00 for it, three quarters of the price of a new copy, usurous and uncaring and bad business practice.

Ann P.

Original message:

It's worth noting that under the new licensing system, people who haven't upgraded JAWS for a time can upgrade for only the cost of the subscription. So the penalty for not upgrading is no longer an issue under the subscription system. I believe you can still purchase smas or subscribe but I know little about this and I don't know if there are times when one system is more advantageous than another. But if someone is behind in keeping JAWS current, they may want to use the subscription system.
Gene
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 10:24 AM

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
To: main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>
Josh
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Josh Kennedy

This is for home users in the united states, only. but that may change in the coming years though. 

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

The link is

https://store.freedomscientific.com/collections/software-annual/products/jaws-home-annual-license

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Timothy Mok
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 9:28 PM

Hi all,

If what Gene says is correct, I’ll most definitely want to consider subscribing. My wife and I are totally blind and we like using JAWS. If someone can provide more info with regard to the advantages of the subscription platform or  a link to get more info on this, it would certainly be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Timothy Mok.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 3:55 AM

Gene

Best regards,

Carolyn

Josh

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Or if you miss it at the $120 price when it is $180 what does that break
down to a year? 90 so at that point it doesn't matter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Rob Hudson
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 6:59 PM

janet gross <janet.harvard@outlook.com> wrote:
I usually always pay the SMA which is $120 every other year, and that
comes out to $60 a year. Why would someone want to pay $90 a year!